Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 One of the most radical changes in Altrincham's history?
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: One of the most radical changes in Altrincham's history?  (Read 8930 times)

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: One of the most radical changes in Altrincham's history?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2010, 08:54:46 PM »

I'm afraid the one negative was Holsgrove. He has a poor first touch, and I can't see him ever being a BSP player (I actually think he's poorer than McAliskey !)

WOW ... steady on !! At least Holsgrove looked like he was trying ?

roytonmike

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 10:12:31 PM »

.....as to the original question on this thread :

I remember us fielding what I think was an entire second choice team in a midweek rearranged game at home to Barnet - and hammering them 7-0 ! Would have been around 1981 ? I seem to think a lot of youngsters played. We reverted to our usual line-up on the Saturday.

Anybody (Cult ?) fill this in a bit more for me ?

I think you're referring to April 14, 1982 - we fielded a reserve team v Barnet three days before the 2nd leg FAT semi @ Wycombe & won 2-0. The 7-0 was a League Cup-tie a couple of years earlier and a full 1st XI.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2010, 11:24:07 PM »

I remember the Barnet game, second goal scored by the semi legendary Phil McGreal. We also fielded a reserve team away at Telford as a gee-up to the first eleven immediately following a 2-3 loss to AP Leamington. We lost that one 2-3 as well.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2010, 11:57:16 PM »

I remember the Barnet game, second goal scored by the semi legendary Phil McGreal. We also fielded a reserve team away at Telford as a gee-up to the first eleven immediately following a 2-3 loss to AP Leamington. We lost that one 2-3 as well.

I think that we may have lost 4-3 at Telford......Paul Round definitely scored one of our goals & I think that it was Paul Cuddy's first league start......he didn't lose his place for about 6 years after that.Apart from yesterday, that was one of the most dramatic team selections that I have seen.If I remember correctly only John Connaughton & Barry Howard retained their place from the team that had lost against AP Leamington.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 12:06:00 AM »

How much did Somner cement the midfield, he was awesome, held his position well and whether by fluke or not the teaam looked like it had a great shape to it.

Well played everyone.

Somner's bone-crunching (but fair) tackle right in front of the Main Stand induced a collective wince from the spectators in the seats.

Marvellous stuff.
Kingy would have been proud of it.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 12:11:36 AM »

I think that we may have lost 4-3 at Telford......Paul Round definitely scored one of our goals & I think that it was Paul Cuddy's first league start......he didn't lose his place for about 6 years after that.Apart from yesterday, that was one of the most dramatic team selections that I have seen.If I remember correctly only John Connaughton & Barry Howard retained their place from the team that had lost against AP Leamington.

Today's esoteric piece of Alty trivia re. Paul Round.

Paul Round's daughter recently sold his 1982 Cheshire Senior Cup Winners Medal on eBay (Alty having defeated Runcorn 1-0 at Gresty Road courtesy of Phil Gardner's early goal).

Her father had donated some of his football treasures to her so that she could sell them to raise some money for her University fees.

How's that for an obscure Alty-related fact...?

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Most radical change in Alty's history
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 08:49:01 AM »

The only other game I can think of where there were an unusual amount of changes (other than saving players for cup ties etc) was for the new years day win at Northwich a few days after the 1-5 home reverse to Stevenage. Toulson, Jennings, King and Cahill were signed on the day of the match and made full debuts. Ryan Shotton did the same and made his 2nd Alty debut in his 2nd loan spell. I can't remember if there were any other changes from the Stevenage game but those were definately 5 new faces in the starting XI.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 10:50:45 AM »

The Barnet game was on Easter Monday in 1982 and came after a complete abdication at the Drill Field the previous Saturday.  We lost 0-2 and the only point of note was an absolute wonder goal from a teenage Mark Ward for the Vics.  I grudgingly applauded it!

We put out the kids against Barnet and won 2-0 with goals from Stave Haw and Phil McGreal.  There was a great deal of energy and enthusiasm from the team that day and it restored my faith in Alty.  A week later we trounced Yeovil 7-1 at Moss Lane, with the biggest cheer being reserved for Whitbread coming off the bench after injury and notching the 7th.

We then prepared to travel south in order to get our heads kicked in the following weekend at Wycombe - but it was worth it!

bighairedmike

Re: Most radical change in Alty's history
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 02:24:33 PM »

The only other game I can think of where there were an unusual amount of changes (other than saving players for cup ties etc) was for the new years day win at Northwich a few days after the 1-5 home reverse to Stevenage. Toulson, Jennings, King and Cahill were signed on the day of the match and made full debuts. Ryan Shotton did the same and made his 2nd Alty debut in his 2nd loan spell. I can't remember if there were any other changes from the Stevenage game but those were definately 5 new faces in the starting XI.

Those were the 5 changes to the team. Coburn, Lane, Tinson, Lawton, Peyton and Little were the ones that were played in both while Munroe, Scott, O'Neill, Sedgemore and McFadden lost their places.

I remember in the Stevenage game Pat McFadden probably had his best game in an alty shirt but just couldnt put the ball in the net.

And also, in the Northwich squad for that away game there were 3 future alty players (2 playing and 1 on the bench) and at least 2 trialists that have been with us as well. Any ideas as to who?

joe

One of the most
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2010, 03:11:18 PM »

Was James Dean involved in that match for Vics? Also Nat Kerr and Luke Horrocks who've had trials at Alty.

bighairedmike

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2010, 03:34:16 PM »

Welch and Brown are both correct (they started as well).

One of the trialists was Michael Carr.

James Dean wasn't involved, and Luke Horrocks wasnt in that squad either. Natt Kerr is the other trialist I can think of from the top of my head.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2010, 04:03:38 PM »

The Barnet game was on Easter Monday in 1982 and came after a complete abdication at the Drill Field the previous Saturday.  We lost 0-2 and the only point of note was an absolute wonder goal from a teenage Mark Ward for the Vics.  I grudgingly applauded it!

We put out the kids against Barnet and won 2-0 with goals from Stave Haw and Phil McGreal.  There was a great deal of energy and enthusiasm from the team that day and it restored my faith in Alty.  A week later we trounced Yeovil 7-1 at Moss Lane, with the biggest cheer being reserved for Whitbread coming off the bench after injury and notching the 7th.

We then prepared to travel south in order to get our heads kicked in the following weekend at Wycombe - but it was worth it!

Bill,

That 2-0 defeat at The Drill Field took place on Easter Monday, 12th April 1982.
A strange non-event of a derby, as both sides had their minds on the following Saturday's respective FA Trophy Semi-Final Second Leg ties.

The 2-0 home win over Barnet ensued two days later.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2010, 04:12:12 PM »

Mister Flynn,

Alty's team for the 4-3 defeat at Telford United on Wednesday, 17th February 1982:

John Connaughton
Phil Gardner
John Davison
Lawrence Iro
Paul Round
Paul Cuddy (league debut)
John Cavanah
Barry Whitbread
Jeff Johnson
Tony Glassar (league debut)
Barry Howard
Sub: Graham Heathcote.

Goalscorers: Howard (2) and Round.

Stan Allan; Mal Bailey; John King and John Rogers were all omitted in the wake of that home loss against AP Leamington.

jimmyhank

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2010, 05:18:22 PM »

How much did Somner cement the midfield, he was awesome, held his position well and whether by fluke or not the teaam looked like it had a great shape to it.

Well played everyone.

Somner's bone-crunching (but fair) tackle right in front of the Main Stand induced a collective wince from the spectators in the seats.

Marvellous stuff.
Kingy would have been proud of it.

Somner's gonna get you, Somner's gonna get you!!

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2010, 10:50:25 PM »

Mister Flynn,

Alty's team for the 4-3 defeat at Telford United on Wednesday, 17th February 1982:

John Connaughton
Phil Gardner
John Davison
Lawrence Iro
Paul Round
Paul Cuddy (league debut)
John Cavanah
Barry Whitbread
Jeff Johnson
Tony Glassar (league debut)
Barry Howard
Sub: Graham Heathcote.

Goalscorers: Howard (2) and Round.

Stan Allan; Mal Bailey; John King and John Rogers were all omitted in the wake of that home loss against AP Leamington.

Not quite as dramatic a team selection as I thought then!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 One of the most radical changes in Altrincham's history?