PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Oldham match thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Oldham match thread  (Read 11467 times)

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Oldham match thread
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2022, 10:47:08 PM »

The Unsworth interview reminded me of Jim Harvey, or maybe John Pemberton after we beat Chesterfield.  It just felt like a manager who had joined a club who were big for the level at which they were playing, possibly expecting an easy ride, then just seemed shell-shocked, with nothing constructive to offer.

PP often - not always - finds some positives in  a defeat, but there was nothing in there.

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2022, 11:42:12 PM »

We need a stand like the danebank with a decent media gantry and facilities underneath it. It would be warmer just by virtue of not being in a wasteland next to a salt mine.

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2022, 08:28:50 PM »

Defiantly something more like the danebank terrace with facilities under and possible cooperate boxes and press in the high center or along the top. Much rather this than a boring generic row of neat seats .

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2022, 09:16:29 PM »

In truth, a pretty nondescript game of football which was illuminated by a superb strike from Chris Conn-Clarke.

After a bit of a shaky opening 10 minutes or so, we enjoyed plenty of possession but it was all rather pedestrian and we never troubled their goalkeeper.

The second half witnessed greater urgency from Alty and I thought that we warranted our victory overall.

An impressive turnout from Oldham (there were certainly some Latics fans in the main stand, too) but they were mightily disgruntled at the final whistle (and with good reason).

I thought that their approach was all very negative. They lacked any threat down the flanks and there was a persistent absence of creativity. John Rooney contributed next to nothing.

Having said that, I was encouraged to see a much more convincing display from James Jones alongside a solid Jake Cooper. The imposing Josh Lundstram stood out once again.

As our Radio Robins/media darling Laurence Howarth sagely mentioned to me after the game, for Oldham Athletic this evening had distinct parallels with that afternoon back in August 2013 when we demolished Stockport County 3-0 at Moss Lane. The relative depths to which they have plummeted in recent times were never better illustrated than by tonight's wretched experience for their travelling supporters.

Anyhow, I look upon this result as overdue revenge on their CEO, one Darren Royle Esq., for that utterly miserable and wet afternoon in Guiseley back in 1996 when I had the misfortune to watch him lumbering down the wing with all the grace of a wounded bison whilst wearing an Alty shirt, as we crashed out of the FA Trophy.

In the words of Morrissey: "Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely high court judges."

Do we still have ever Altrincham supporters going in the "away" end, like the Barnet match in 1991 (maybe I should try it as a stand against segregation - I loved that Bromley match last season!)?

I agree about that Stockport game. And Oldham will have to up theit game if they don't want to end up like Stockport.

Surely noe Darren Royle had some good games. Well one good game. Or one good goal. I think. How did he end up in that position at Oldham anyway?

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2022, 09:20:50 PM »

A good solid performance with a really good work rate.  I thought it was a strange decision to sub Jordan when we needed to retain possession and hold the ball up? Admittedly he may have been tiring but still the better option

Yeah, trying to refrain from being negative about Dinanga because he has improved a lot, but he has been poor in the last two games.

Think we need Jordan up top against Wrexham with Kaja out wide.

I'm just pleased we've managed to get Jordan Marcus and Ryan all on the pitch, and with Egli fit again, let Wrexham do the worrying.

Also pleased to see us grind out a win after two long away trips. How much difference has being full-time made?

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2022, 10:03:11 PM »

1-0 Alty Dinanga (Pen) 43'

A clean sheet? Blimey, that would be a turnup, especially without Mullarkey. Still, I suppose we managed it against Aldershot (and Sandbach).

I just noticed the Dinanga penalty bit too. A very bold prediction! And I'd love it to be right...

A big whoosh is needed, unless you're double whooshing

That takes me back! Hoagy's Cidespace-linked Conference forum, heated debates about crisp-flavoured sandwiches (among other delicacies), tongue in cheek posts commencing "off topic - Conference football", and nobody batting an eyelid - those were the days!

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2022, 10:05:35 PM »

1-0 up at HT, Conn-Clarke.

One letter off - and Toffee Apple one comment about Dinanga off. And I should add that I am very pleased with the outcome, poor as Oldham were.

I must admit I hadn't realised that Oldham (or anyone else) had such a poor scoring record away from home!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 10:07:36 PM by Hugh »

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2022, 10:14:59 PM »

we might be able to get a new defender in then?

We've raised 300k and had promised support from thr board.

If we've not managed to get a CB within 6 week we mihht as well call it a day

Unless we continue to march up the table with what we've got. ;)

Though admittedly it would be nice to know more about where this money has gone and the nature of the support.

P.S. you had it right at half time. Everyone get that quick-pouring pale ale can in the fan zone until things get up to speed...

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2022, 10:20:55 PM »

we might be able to get a new defender in then?

With Toby and Baines just a few weeks away, I don’t think we need more than 4 CB? Or are you thinking of cover on the left or right sides? Save the money in that area and get another striker and CDM.

13 points in the last 6 league games (I think) and above a former PL team. No need to panic just yet. Let's remember that literally nobody was expecting us to finish top half a few weeks back and yet here we are just three points off the top half. And there's probably loads of other things that need money spending on them.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2022, 09:58:00 AM »

This is the firm that redeveloped Salford's ground; currently building an impressive lengthways stand at South Shields:

https://www.stadiumsolutions.co.uk/news/stadium-solutions-constructing-cutting-edge-stand-at-south-shields-fc/

No idea how much something like this would cost.

Same company that did Accrington's. Up to £3m according to reports but it will have boxes, hospitality etc. It's open already.

You'd think that if you stripped out the internal infrastructure - or even just replace with internal toilet blocks to make use of the space underneath, with entrances from each side (Fan Zone on ours) - it could be a fraction of that cost... and you could reclaim the space where the unsightly catering / toilets are currently situated near the away turnstiles, so any redevelopment of Chequers could go all the way across, leading to increased capacity / keeping away fans on that end only.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2022, 11:47:17 AM »

This is the firm that redeveloped Salford's ground; currently building an impressive lengthways stand at South Shields:

https://www.stadiumsolutions.co.uk/news/stadium-solutions-constructing-cutting-edge-stand-at-south-shields-fc/

Same company that did Accrington's. Up to £3m according to reports but it will have boxes, hospitality etc. It's open already.

You'd think that if you stripped out the internal infrastructure - or even just replace with internal toilet blocks to make use of the space underneath, with entrances from each side (Fan Zone on ours) - it could be a fraction of that cost... and you could reclaim the space where the unsightly catering / toilets are currently situated near the away turnstiles, so any redevelopment of Chequers could go all the way across, leading to increased capacity / keeping away fans on that end only.

I think the issue with chequers is the sub station which apparently would cost a fortune to move.

As for the popular side, there's nothing to strip out. It's just a shallow terrace with old cladding and the lower roofs would be useless with seating underneath. The whole side needs demolishing, spectator areas brought nearer the touchline, steeper rake of seating and then more space behind for catering and hospitality.

Interestingly, South Shields didn't put a terrace in front of their stand because of the space it would take up; they probably felt the space would be better used and more lucrative by having boxes at the back.

https://twitter.com/Groundtastic/status/1554783877926981632?t=VuTBA-5UBZ6Y8OPi8Zd9aQ&s=19

Of course, our board has shown it's own vision for the ground so I'm sure something will be on the agenda.

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2022, 01:21:35 PM »

While we are dreaming of ground developments something like these on a smaller scale would be amazing, i think its essential we keep the standing tradition in the pop corner for our atmosphere and character /heritage of the ground.

https://www.rugbygroundguide.com/images/ulsternewstand.JPG

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlMmECj4EtTX_li1LaWGxP2JFoeQUozvSOOHmyWyY_eysyierZ1PftEzDB6hvezf-HWWE&usqp=CAU

onetoothsdad

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2022, 02:38:53 PM »

While we are dreaming of ground developments something like these on a smaller scale would be amazing, i think its essential we keep the standing tradition in the pop corner for our atmosphere and character /heritage of the ground.

https://www.rugbygroundguide.com/images/ulsternewstand.JPG

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlMmECj4EtTX_li1LaWGxP2JFoeQUozvSOOHmyWyY_eysyierZ1PftEzDB6hvezf-HWWE&usqp=CAU

Very smart

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2022, 05:29:17 PM »

I think the issue with chequers is the sub station which apparently would cost a fortune to move.

As for the popular side, there's nothing to strip out. It's just a shallow terrace with old cladding and the lower roofs would be useless with seating underneath. The whole side needs demolishing, spectator areas brought nearer the touchline, steeper rake of seating and then more space behind for catering and hospitality.

Interestingly, South Shields didn't put a terrace in front of their stand because of the space it would take up; they probably felt the space would be better used and more lucrative by having boxes at the back.

https://twitter.com/Groundtastic/status/1554783877926981632?t=VuTBA-5UBZ6Y8OPi8Zd9aQ&s=19

Of course, our board has shown it's own vision for the ground so I'm sure something will be on the agenda.

Sorry yeah, I meant stripping out much of what South Shields have done - ours clearly needs bulldozing! - but perhaps that's a missed opportunity in itself, i.e. the hospitality could potentially move to that side too. And then there's the TV gantry to think about too.

Unless we buy land from the allotment, I assume we'd probably have the same space issues in terms of depth - although, from the photos I can see from South Shields, you can still fit quite a lot in at ground level along the touchline anyway.

Wasn't aware of the sub station issue, thanks - I wonder if you can build a support structure and go above it, but then I assume the issue would then become a planning one in terms of encroachment with the housing.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Oldham match thread