PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Heathcote harsh on the players?
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Heathcote harsh on the players?  (Read 5803 times)

Sainthelen

Re: Heathcote harsh on the players?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 03:16:42 PM »

Surprised Senior and Little were taken off. Not sure little did much to be honest but senior was coming in to the game more and more.

Did we lack passion? I dont think so, but we did lack the final touch against a solid defense.

An enjoyable game and worth £12 we have nothing to be down beat about.

We were there last night- and I agree 100%. From where we sat, we could see that Senior was really mad at being taken off, and I don't blame him; as you said he was coming into the game more and more. I can't see the reasoning behind that decision.
Heathcote was harsh- disappointed that we didn't win, but I was certainly glad we went.

JackSwindells No 1 Fan

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 05:55:52 PM »

The lads gave plenty last night. I think they did pretty well. Luton would not have complained if they'd lost. All in all another clean sheet, we're becoming hard to beat home and away so let's build on it and look forward to a stress free last month or so of the season during which GH can have even more time to plan for 09/10.

I think GH gor very frustrated, given his personal experience of the cup. Lee took a while to get going but at least Chris & Colin won't be too knackered for Saturday. We ahev to go for 3pts vs cambridge!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 06:08:47 PM »

And, further to my post a few weeks back, yet another penalty awarded to us while Colin Little was off the pitch.

I was amazed that Peyton missed the penalty, one of the main facets of his game is his strikes from free kicks and penalties.

Also, Lawton missed a penalty despite being a regular scoring penalty taker for Vauxhall.

I thought Conrad Logan was a decent keeper though.

Alex

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 06:13:50 PM »

it's just luck of the draw in a shoot out (look at ronaldo in the champions league final). i say fair play to warren for stepping up knowing what it would have ment if he scored, good save by logan tho *

* for all the abuse he was getting you knew he'd save it, every keeper that we give stick too always has the last laugh

altyf

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2008, 06:40:18 PM »

Totally agree with GH's comments, we just never had a proper go at them. Don't know if it was a lack of passion, or if we were simply tired by the time they had a man sent off, but when they went down to 10 men we kept the ball comfortably enough without breaking them down. Shows how well we did last season at Northwich I think, 10 men can be very difficult to break down when you need a goal and like last night it's easy to get sucked into playing the ball round the back 4. On the brighter side, we gave a league 2 side a hell of a game and are looking a solid team.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 11:56:58 PM »

I can only applaud Mister Heathcote for his honest, trenchant and accurate criticism and for not settling for the platitudes of those 'we battled well but lady luck deserted us' type of comments that usually follow such a defeat.

What a wasted opportunity that was against a decidedly mediocre team.

In truth, we went out of the competition with a whimper and that still hurts me deeply 24 hours after the event.

GH is spot on.
For a club with our FA Cup tradition, last night's performance was simply not good enough.
One shot on target in 120 minutes is unacceptable.

GH himself played in some fine Alty teams and they would never have afforded Luton that amount of (unwarranted) respect at Moss Lane.

Let's hope that his words prompt a positive reaction against Cambridge on Saturday.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 12:04:22 AM »

As someone who watched all 210 minutes i'd say we did have a good go at them, but you can only play as well as the other team lets you. Neither team let the other play which is why we had the stalemate.  What we had was two managers that ran out of options. I can understand GH's disappointment but I didn't witness a lack of effort.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 01:04:33 AM »

GH himself played in some fine Alty teams and they would never have afforded Luton that amount of (unwarranted) respect at Moss Lane.

With regards to Ian's comment I don't think GH or anyone else has doubted the effort, it's just that I think Cult has hit the nail on the head here and highlighted a weakness.

For all our recent improvement I'm not sure the team have the confidence in our firepower to get a really good result. A couple of you on here will know that I said before the first tie that I doubted we had the ability to score twice at Luton which is what I thought would be the minimum upset requirement. And to be honest , bar Colin 9 and Senior 5 goals have been in short supply elsehwere, I think Lee Elam especially and Dale have to step up to the plate now.

Last night, and to a lesser extent at Kenilworth Rd, the team played as if they knew there were slightly better than Luton but as if conceding the original goal would have seen the tie taken away from them ( i have no doubt if Senior/Peyton scored we'd have won). There was a lack of conviction and guile and confidence to really go for the jugular.

My conclusion is that we are now a decent conference side but only so far as when everything is perfectly aligned (i.e I'm sure we could have won with Densmore and a fully fit Elam playing 343). A good example of this is, in my view the most positive aspect of the season, that we have beaten teams when they are there to be beaten (well since Lewes anywya)

- Mansfield, good at home but hadn't won away when we played them. Beaten.

-Salisbury, Ebbsfleet and Oxford, all just on a slide when we played them and didn't let them off the hook.

- FGR, again struggling a bit and we took advantage.

This is great to an extent, I mean, how many times in recent seasons have teams lost a few and then beat us and got their form back?, but we need to push on and go for it (there won't be a good Trophy run if we don't), say we expect to beat teams, go 343 and play, especially at home. I genuinely don't think people will be angry or give too much stick if things occasionally go wrong with this method. Alty fans can be terrible at times but I think by and large we are more realistic and supportive than most clubs

I'm encouraged by GH's comments. They show a fuller view of what he is about, demanding standards akin to his playing days, rather than bemoaning people's 'unrealistic expectations' and shows a truer confidence in the team he has assembled (and deserves great credit for).

I was disappointed on Tuesday, more than I have been for a while to be fair, but I remian convinced we are a lower mid table conference side now. To an outsider that might appear the dullest thing in the world but I cherish the thought of a final day conference game where I can just chill without checking scores left, right and centre.

Jezza

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 01:13:31 PM »

I'd like to slam Graham Heathcote and the players for blowing our best ever chance of beating a true top team in Everton and spurs.
To give away pens in both games was unprofessional, the back pass in the everton replay was woeful and graham will have to live the rest of his life knowing that they fluffed a great opportunity to make history. we just didn't push on especially at everton a goal up and we tried to hang on to our lead and then flopped badly in both replays.....USELESS!
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Heathcote harsh on the players?