PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Heathcote harsh on the players?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Heathcote harsh on the players?  (Read 5801 times)

fuertes

« on: November 19, 2008, 09:07:38 AM »

Following the FA Cup replay defeat by Luton after a penalty shoot-out, in today's Manchester Evening News Alty boss Graham Heathcote (right) said, "I'm just so disappointed. This side will never have a better opportunity of causing a cup upset. It's not just about the penalties. We should have won before 90 minutes or 120 minutes but we were inept as an attacking force. It was a misereable performance. We lacked that vital ingreient to go out to win the game and we lacked passion. We've got a very good team and good players but tonight we just didn't perform. It's a shame because there was a good crowd (2,397) here tonight. But in all my years here we've never bottled it on the big occasions".

He's right in that we were generally disappointing in the final third, but I think that was more a lack of ability than passion. If Colin had been able to stay on I'm sure he would have fashioned a couple of good efforts on goal. I'm just a bit disappointed that he's questioned the players like that, I thought they tried their best but the penalty miss obviously knocked them a bit and they were missing a predator in and around the box.

markecky

Re: Heathcote harsh on the players?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 09:11:10 AM »

I thought it was a strange game.

We seemed to have the ball for about 75% of it...and seemed to be attacking for a lot of it.

Just didn't seem to have many chances.

Wilmslow Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 09:25:19 AM »

I think that's unfair. The first half was a strange 45 minutes with neither side showing any ability. I think the penalty was our first shot on goal but after that we came alive. If we'd had that pace throughout then maybe the result would have been different but I honestly don't think we could have kept it up for 120 minutes solid.
Acton_Alty has now moved to Chiswick...Wilmslow!

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 09:36:36 AM »

had senior taken the penalty or colin been on pitch we would have probably win but all hypothetical  now , good set of players and barring injuries will probably stay up this year.

JohnnyInTheBridge

heard this on BBCRM this morning
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 09:41:19 AM »

quite surprised to hear him say those things.

Dominated the game for long periods and also played a fair bit of good football.

All we were missing was Little  ;)  bit of class up front.

Jenga

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 09:48:26 AM »

Got to admit i was surprised by GH comments here.

I thought first half we struggled a little.

Second half we came into it and in my mind bossed the game.

The penalty was taken well, there are times you have give the goalkeeper credit and that was one of them.

Luton looked shattered again, as they did in the first match, and we pushed on them and indeed created chances, they looked like they were settling for penalties and defended quite well.

Surprised Senior and Little were taken off. Not sure little did much to be honest but senior was coming in to the game more and more.

Dale played well without threatening the goal and Elam got in to it once he got the ball, took him 10 mins to get into it.

Defense was good the only real scare for me was when Ralph came for a cross and missed it and their forward hit the corner of the post and bar. Couldnt see the post miss in the first half.

Did we lack passion? I dont think so, but we did lack the final touch against a solid defense.

An enjoyable game and worth £12 we have nothing to be down beat about.

Narcissist

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 09:48:43 AM »

Two massive home games coming up in the league where we will need to be sharp on the attack.

Maybe GH judges that this is what the team needs to draw a line under the cup and get them motivated to go out and prove him wrong against Camebridge and Rushden. The players need to change focus now, these comments will at least serve to remind them of how confident they should be on Saturday.

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: heard this on BBCRM this morning
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 10:24:11 AM »

Dominated the game for long periods and also played a fair bit of good football.

If hoofing the ball in the air constitutes good football in your world. I had neck ache in the first half!

I kind of agree with Heathcote - we CAN play better  :'(

jimbo

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 10:57:56 AM »

totally agree with above .the standard of forword play being inept that gh speaks of is cos we continually hoof the ball onto opposing defenders heads even under no presure.the team is crying out for a ball playing midfielder.we have the players to get the ball back but cant produce the quality to keep it .

The Fan

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 11:31:27 AM »

Got to say that I would have expected a "Great Effort From The Lads" type comment from GH.

The only things that irked me somewhat about last night was the poor quality of our set pieces (Doughty's delivery was truly dreadful), the fact that we continue to try to use Senior as an outlet and he just cannot play that role and that it was clear to all their keeper was going to bite us on the arse and that this was only maginified by the school choir who turned up.

Other than that, I was pretty pleased overall. 

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 11:59:25 AM »

I can't comment re last night as I only went to the first game. However...from what I saw that day Luton were an exceptionally average outift and I had every confidence about last night. Seems like our lads didn't quite step up to the plate, not something you could say a lot recently but it happened. Luckily we now have 2 home league games to put things right, starting on Saturday.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 01:04:34 PM »

Not the best performance but dont forget luton had the ball cleared from our lines and hit the post, this negates the penalty in my eyes and a draw was a fair result.  penalty shootout is a lottery.

It looked like senior was about to be subbed shortly before the pen and that changed grahams mind for a bit, up until the penalty dont think he did too much.  Luton looked better class than away and really shut us down, we missed our best chances in the first game.

Last point is that I am not one to always stick up for graham and was furious about the lewes situation however wernt people complaining that he wasnt changing things around and that he always defends the players?
Bernard Taylors barmy army

star

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 01:37:15 PM »

I am disgusted at Heathcotes comments about the players. He should be very proud of his players commitment and performances last night. I for one was very proud and felt that we as fans, the players and the management should hold our heads up high, and take alot from the game. I am sure that the players are devestated by last nights result, and will be looking closely at thier own individual performances, but wouldnt it have been nice for once if Heathcote could have given praise where praise was due? He should remeber that those players have full time jobs, alongside playing footy!!! >:(

Jacobs

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 01:48:27 PM »

Totally agree with Graham on this one to be honest - The lads defended well but there was no real attacking threat we basically dominated for the last thity mins of normal time and all of extra time and managed one punt at goal.

It was one of those on another day moments

I am pleased Graham has come out like this - it means the players should react on Saturday rather than having the usual cup hangover.

Everyone can focus on Warren but he stood up and unfortunately it did not work, There were no players on the pitch who you would have classed as natural penalty taker.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 02:01:19 PM »

Couldn't make the game but got to agree with Jacobs on Grahams reaction. It goes to show the higher standards he's demanding from the team which I think is a good thing.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team