PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Hardest Man Ever at Alty
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hardest Man Ever at Alty  (Read 5638 times)

taxi Phil

Re: Hardest Man Ever at Alty
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 03:55:18 PM »

I remember Derek Halliwell from way back in the 60's

Another from back then was the infamous Tommy Banks of Bolton fame... He didnt fk about on a football pitch either....
Banks and John Higgins were both with us after being in Bolton's 1958 FA Cup winning team. Both were very hard men - but not dirty players.

thegazelle

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 04:17:40 PM »

are you sure they wern;t dirty players of that era who did after dinner speaches used to wax lyrical about banks kicking finney all over the park and  finney coming back for more

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 05:06:37 PM »

You are spot on 'Cult'.
The old memory banks, not as good as yours ;)
He was one hard nut!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 05:15:20 PM »

You are spot on 'Cult'.
He was one hard nut!

George Heslop recounts a good story about McLoughlin taking on a hostile crowd at Fleetwood many years ago.

Meanwhile, the formidable Gerry Casey gets my vote.
Even Kingy found Casey to be intimidating.
Enough said!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 11:39:33 PM »

Kingy and Gerry Casey agreed, difficult choice but Tony Broadhead wasn't shy either.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 04:11:35 PM »

I was told this story in the mid seventies but did not witness it myself:

before a Vics v Alty match John King marches up to Graham Heathcote "Any of that fancy stuff against us today and you'll be six feet up in the air with my boot up your arse."

Gerry Casey to Kingy "If you even look at him today, you will have me to answer to."

result: Graham untouched for 90 minutes - verdict: Gerry casey harder than Kingy.

Which means he must be the hardest Alty player ever

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 12:24:34 PM »

You are spot on 'Cult'.
He was one hard nut!

George Heslop recounts a good story about McLoughlin taking on a hostile crowd at Fleetwood many years ago.

Enough said!

If that Fleetwood away game was the same time as when Micky Gannon was in the team, I was there too!

There was a rumour going the rounds after that, that Gannon used to give Tony Mc lifts and on the way home from the Fleetwood match and an argument between them at Tony's drop-off point, he left his "driver" knocked out in the car!

Although this was the talk of the terraces (at least where I stood) for a while, nothing ever come of it!

The other rumour going round was that Tony Mc played abroad for a while and when Britt Ekland was a 'celebrity kicker-offer' he asked her for a date! (unsuccessfully!) I would be interested to know if anyone else remembers that?

PS: I could just be losing it somewhat as Cult has proved on a couple occasions already that my memory is not 100% trustworthy anymore  :D
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 12:25:25 AM »

You are spot on 'Cult'.
He was one hard nut!

Enough said!

If that Fleetwood away game was the same time as when Micky Gannon was in the team, I was there too!

There was a rumour going the rounds after that, that Gannon used to give Tony Mc lifts and on the way home from the Fleetwood match and an argument between them at Tony's drop-off point, he left his "driver" knocked out in the car!

Although this was the talk of the terraces (at least where I stood) for a while, nothing ever come of it!

The other rumour going round was that Tony Mc played abroad for a while and when Britt Ekland was a 'celebrity kicker-offer' he asked her for a date! (unsuccessfully!) I would be interested to know if anyone else remembers that?

PS: I could just be losing it somewhat as Cult has proved on a couple occasions already that my memory is not 100% trustworthy anymore  :D

Brian,

Alas, I am unable to corroborate that intriguing Britt Ekland element of your anecdote....but Tony McLoughlin certainly did play abroad - for Dallas Tornado in the North American Soccer League (NASL) back in 1971:

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 11:59:17 AM »

Thanks Barry.

Perhaps I can hold on to my memory a little longer then!  ;)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Hardest Man Ever at Alty