Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Not renewing at O.T. thinking of Alty next season ?
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Not renewing at O.T. thinking of Alty next season ?  (Read 5398 times)

ArmchairAlty

Re: Not renewing at O.T. thinking of Alty next season ?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 09:19:51 AM »

Indeed, welcome to Alty where your support will be much more appreciated and people will miss you if you don't come.

As Hughsey says...the friendlies are OK but you won't get a feel of the atmosphere we have in a league game.

I was going to mention RedRedRobin...she is a classic example of a convert who got hooked and now puts a lot of money and support into the club in with social events etc.

And its OK to be a United or a City fan who watches Alty each week..its a broad church at Alty.

Ta v. much Ecky ;D

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 10:18:37 AM »

The more the merrier, welcome to you as a new Alty fan... Im sure that you will enjoy the experience.
One word of warning, If you are a smoker bring plenty of ciggies with you, I find it helps enormously when we are 1 - 0 up with 20 mins to go  :D ;)

Enjoy

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 10:32:55 AM »

Can't justify another £700 (plus the obligatory europe/cup games) to renew at O.T. for next season. It's not just the cash either it's the whole corporate, theatre of dreams, spot the local, try and get an away ticket etc. etc. nonsense which I'm not convinced will change even if the Glazers sell out. I can't suddenly stop supporting United so in future will be more of an armchair fan but will still need my live football fix. Alty are my nearest club, and I have been occasionally over the years, so I'm seriously considering buying a season ticket there for the first time. I admit I like the concept of FCUM but don't fancy trekking to Gigg Lane for every home game when I can walk to Moss Lane. Anyone else been through this dilemma and ended up at Alty ? If so how has it worked out ?

Go for it my man !

I packed up watching United at Old Trafford for very much the same reasons about 5 years ago, (although I do still have two tickets in my name that I sell on each season - at no profit I hasen to add !)

I started watching Alty on an occasional basis (along with my home town team in the NW Counties League but who subsequently folded after cocking up FCUM's end of season party by beating them at Gigg Lane in front of 7.000 + fans the day they were presented with their first trophy - Yesssssssss !!)

Since then I 've invested in a season ticket and never looked back. They kick off at 3.00 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon which means you can plan your other activities well in advance, the club really appreciates your support and the match day experience is a lot more enjoyable than being packed into a seething mass varying nationalities many of whom don't seem to speak English (Does that put me in Gordon Brown's 'Biggott' category ?) You don't half to park up a mile from the ground at Alty, or pay a fiver for the priviledge, the programmes are cheaper, the pies are better, you can stand up without being told by a steward to sit down, it costs you a damn sight less to get in, you can walk round the ground and chat with people you know, and you know that you hard earned cash is contributing to good honest footballers who are in it for the right reasons and not lining the pockets of some over priced foreign mercenaries.

I even went to a couple of mid week away matches last season for the first time, and again the atmosphere and experience is better, and you don't have to apply weeks in advance for a ballott.

(Have I missed anything out ?)  ???

Get on Down to Moss Lane - You won't be disappointed and you don't know what you're missing

and you can even watch United on the telly in the bar before or after the match depending on what time they have rearranged United's fixtures to.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 04:18:26 PM by (S)ALTY »

Dougals Dad

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 11:44:58 AM »

I get to Moss Lane very rarely as I live well out of the way of civilisation (Scotland).

After a serious illness I was able to go to a match while on holiday last Autumn - as soon as I got through the gate I was greeted by the wife of one of the directors who, having recognised me from at least a year before, said how pleased she was to see me and hoped I was recovering.

Why should she know me from Adam? But that is Alty and that is an event that will always warm my heart.

NorthernMonkey

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2010, 12:42:37 PM »

I'm a Crewe fan and after uni and years of playing sport on Saturdays I fell out of the habit. Missed a couple of seasons and when I got back the football was better (Championship at the time), but the ground was plastic, overpriced and I just didn't enjoy it as much.

Moved up here, and went to the odd game. I'd go more but my mates aren't as in to it. And a new nipper puts a kybosh on my time.

I think it's overpriced on a match by match basis, but season tickets are great value. When I can take the lad I'm pretty sure we'll both get one.

Can't beat the terraces, atmpospere, and now the pie shop's got Wright's (their Steak pies are a modern day wonder of the world), then Moss Road's a great place to watch some footy.

Enjoy.

purpletea

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2010, 06:30:44 PM »

Thanks all for taking the time to tell your stories and the welcome messages. Looking at some of the dates in the various replies it seems like there's no shortage of experience on this forum! I won't be out of place (first United match in 1972).

WiganAlty

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2010, 08:22:36 PM »

As a kid, I used to watch City at home and look for other local games when they played away. I came to Moss Lane in 1965 and I've been coming ever since.  ;)

Same way I started out - next door neighbour was related to one of the City directors so we were regulars at Maine Road until I was about 10. One Saturday, couldn't get tickets so we came to Moss Lane and I've been a supporter ever since (some 36 years - finally realised the cause of my grey hair!!).

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2010, 11:23:48 PM »

Get out while you still can, it will ruin you life!!!

Seriously, welcome. Having experienced a few games at Old Trafford and Maine Road before I became a regular at Moss Lane in 94/95, I can safely say that ML was/is the best one for matchday experience. The quality of football on show might be lower, but the determination, passion and banter with players/officials is a lot higher. And there's also the friendliness on the terraces and stands.

Hopefully we shall be seeing you in the near future down south on a cold December Tuesday night  ;)
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

Altysteward93

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2010, 11:36:51 PM »

Trust me Moss Lane is one of the best places in the world, the banter between fans and player, fans and fans, players and players, you just can't beat it, much better than sitting in row Z tier 3 at old Trafford being unable to see the pitch properly. To sum it up, chris senior one of our best players leaves today for a club in the same league, everyone has wished him well, ronaldo leaves and everyone hates him.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Not renewing at O.T. thinking of Alty next season ?