Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Not renewing at O.T. thinking of Alty next season ?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Not renewing at O.T. thinking of Alty next season ?  (Read 5397 times)

purpletea

« on: May 13, 2010, 07:47:05 PM »

Can't justify another £700 (plus the obligatory europe/cup games) to renew at O.T. for next season. It's not just the cash either it's the whole corporate, theatre of dreams, spot the local, try and get an away ticket etc. etc. nonsense which I'm not convinced will change even if the Glazers sell out. I can't suddenly stop supporting United so in future will be more of an armchair fan but will still need my live football fix. Alty are my nearest club, and I have been occasionally over the years, so I'm seriously considering buying a season ticket there for the first time. I admit I like the concept of FCUM but don't fancy trekking to Gigg Lane for every home game when I can walk to Moss Lane. Anyone else been through this dilemma and ended up at Alty ? If so how has it worked out ?

Jezza

Re: Not renewing at O.T. thinking of Alty next season ?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 08:31:26 PM »

We welcome all at Alty whatever your reasons and wether your commitment is occasional or full time home and away.......I've been Alty all my life so can't answer your question specifically but can promise the more you attend Alty the more attached you will definetly become and it'll be worth the switch!!!...and you can probably still follow 90% of Utd via sky!

JonnyKeen

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 08:38:17 PM »

If you're not sure, why not try the pre season friendlies? Probably the main one for you would be against United XI.

george

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 08:43:25 PM »

Welcome to Moss Lane, the more often the better. You can also keep in touch with United, by also watching the Reserves @ Moss Lane.

York Alty

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 08:46:04 PM »

welcome indeed.  Footy at moss lane does have plenty going for it.  Give it a go and i promise you'll enjoy it.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 08:48:17 PM »

Theres many people that were season ticket holders at old trafford,and other places for that matter that now watch alty on a regular basis.The friendlies wont give you of a flavour of the real match day experience at moss lane.They will be interesting too watch but the first home league is usually well attended and has a decent atmosphere.The match day at alty is laid back and welcoming to all,the singing is very good if thats your thing,the amount of ex utd ST holders at moss la is growing year on year

ArmchairAlty

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 08:53:38 PM »

Yep, definitely make the switch like I did and come to ML on a matchday... there's no comparison with OT, I went to Man U twice last season and it didnt come close to Alty!

I warn you though... you will fall in love with the place... and end up with a season ticket like me the last couple of years  ;D

Best thing I ever did!

markecky

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 08:57:29 PM »

Indeed, welcome to Alty where your support will be much more appreciated and people will miss you if you don't come.

As Hughsey says...the friendlies are OK but you won't get a feel of the atmosphere we have in a league game.

I was going to mention RedRedRobin...she is a classic example of a convert who got hooked and now puts a lot of money and support into the club in with social events etc.

And its OK to be a United or a City fan who watches Alty each week..its a broad church at Alty.

baldrick

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 09:35:12 PM »

I have met supporters of Stoke, Leicester, Forest, Portsmouth, City, United, Burnley, Stockport and Derby at Altrincham. Some people even claim to have met a Millwall fan but i can't believe that.

purpletea

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 09:50:43 PM »

Thanks for all the positive responses, feels like I'm making the right decision and look forward to being a part of it come August.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 09:57:35 PM »

Thanks for all the positive responses, feels like I'm making the right decision and look forward to being a part of it come August.

You'll never regret it.

As a kid, I used to watch City at home and look for other local games when they played away. I came to Moss Lane in 1965 and I've been coming ever since.  ;)

PS: The only time I've been to City's ground since then was when Alty played Spurs in the FA Cup replay (Maine Road)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

tottenham alty

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 10:41:13 PM »

I dont listen to peeps who say you can only support one side. I support my local side (Alty) my local league side (United) and of course you are allowed a foreign side (Juventus). I would always support United then up against Juve, and have never had to face the dilemma of Alty playing United in a serious game - but would probably support Alty if they did!!!!

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 11:30:46 PM »

OK here goes, from someone who was in your shoes!!

During the 1974/75 season, my last as a regular watcher of United games, I switched from Old Trafford to Moss Lane. My reasons were different from yours, yours are understandably financial and corporate angst plus the Glazer syndrome, I do reel with shock when I see how much you have to pay now for season tickets,  especially for have-to-buy for cup games. During the early to mid 70's Old Trafford was very intimidating and I felt unsafe on several occasions, including trying to get public transport afterwards.

I went with a mate to Alty and from then on I was hooked. I love the fact I can have pint with friends before and/or after the game in the bar. The players often join us afterwards - you will NEVER see that at Old Trafford, they are very amiable and approachable. Like you, we do have much barracking of away fans, but it is very funny with no malice whatsoever, some of it you may have seen on occasions you have been down. The whole atmosphere is great fun with like minded people, and on the ocassions I can get to away games, the Camardarie is even stronger. It does not take long for the club to seep into your blood, but over the years whether they play good or badly the bond becomes two-way. The club as a whole are very close to their fans and are entirely open about their plans and current news items. The websites www.altyfans.co.uk and also www.altrinchamfc.com are excellant and informative and a good laugh in the formers case. Other clubs fans often use it for info about their own team, and also to try and wind us up before they play us.

Do come in with an open mind and make yourself known to people, they always are open and friendly. We are not troublesome fans and do not have a bad contigency, but our hard-core fans are very good at finding ways of getting under the aways fans skin and the banter is top-notch. And as I say, it is strong banter but without threats or malice.

One thing, the Alty fans do not take to drums; they give us headaches. We usually try and get one of the centre forwards to hit a football through it during the warm up.

I sincerely hope to see you in the bar or during a game next season, give it a try you will enjoy yourself. I still go to Man U on very odd occasions when I can get a ticket, and I watch every United game on Telly if Alty are not playing as I still have a soft spot for them. But that said, I have no regrets and neither will you in time, you will also save a fair bit of dosh!

Aside from Liverpool and City etc/Arsenal and Chelsea, our rivals are Northwich, Macc Town, and the likes of Runcorn, Droylsden. Of those probrably Macc are the most despised. Suggest it may be fun to go the Alty/Macc game during pre-season. We have not played them for years.

Good luck to you and hopefully see you next season.

Steve from Sale

RocketDan

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 12:01:21 AM »

Can't justify another £700 (plus the obligatory europe/cup games) to renew at O.T. for next season. It's not just the cash either it's the whole corporate, theatre of dreams, spot the local, try and get an away ticket etc. etc. nonsense which I'm not convinced will change even if the Glazers sell out. I can't suddenly stop supporting United so in future will be more of an armchair fan but will still need my live football fix. Alty are my nearest club, and I have been occasionally over the years, so I'm seriously considering buying a season ticket there for the first time. I admit I like the concept of FCUM but don't fancy trekking to Gigg Lane for every home game when I can walk to Moss Lane. Anyone else been through this dilemma and ended up at Alty ? If so how has it worked out ?

I go to watch united about 10 games a season, and its obvious how much standing makes a huge difference. At Old Trafford, I usually sit in the north stand upper, £33 a pop, usually close to a bunch of irish piss heads/tourists.

The atmosphere in the golf road end is much better, 100 or so people who see each other week in week out and enjoy supporting alty and like a good sing song. As for the view, it's miles better at old trafford, because its so high up you can see all the movement on/off the ball. The only bad thing is you don't FEEL like you are part of the match, which obviously you do at alty, even if you miss a key pass or tackle because of a pillar (or pillock) blocking your view.

jimmyhank

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 01:01:09 AM »

Very wise move, Purpletea. I have been a season ticket holder at OT for a few years but you're just another face pouring money into a growing debt. At Alty you really are one of the family and every penny you spend helps the club run as a debt free concern. You can still watch Utd games at ML on the TV. The main website gives details of the games to be screened and when the bar will open. KO is 3pm on Sat so if you have a family then scheduling events is easier. Utd's KO times vary a lot. Utd reserves play their home games at ML, usually 7pm KO on Thursday's.

The banter with the away supporters is excellent and not malicious in any way. We are a friendly bunch and I'm sure you'd enjoy yourself. It'll be cash well spent - you will not be disappointed.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team