News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wholly optimistic

Author Topic: Wholly optimistic  (Read 2465 times)

Dougals Dad

Wholly optimistic
« on: May 19, 2010, 12:14:30 AM »

From http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/8691007.stm "The club's summer tour will begin with a training camp in Chicago followed by friendlies against Celtic in Toronto on 16 July, the Philadelphia Union in Philadelphia on 21 July, the Kansas City Wizards in Kansas four days later, and the MLS All-Stars in Houston on 28 July.

Ferguson will give his World Cup players leave of absence from the tour, which will move on to Mexico and a game against Guadalajara, which was agreed as part of the deal to sign 21-year-old forward Hernandez."

I wonder if this means one or two of them might be available for the friendly at Moss Lane!

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Wholly optimistic
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 09:58:39 AM »

...and what did we agree with United as part of the deal to sign 39 year old forward Little ?

fuertes

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 10:17:57 AM »

Sadly, I doubt we'll see any 'stars'.

Last year's friendly was supposed to be against a 'strong' United XI on account of the improvement in changing facilities for United Reserves. They sent a load of lads I'd never heard of + Danny Simpson, who looks like developing into a reasonable Premier League/Championship full-back.

Same again I reckon.

taxi Phil

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 10:36:04 AM »

I always think half the appeal is looking at their current crop of youngsters. A couple of years back I was impressed by Macheda and Possebon (who might have come on further but for that injury).

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 11:46:03 AM »

I think the fact that it will obviously be advertised as a Man Utd XI will get a decent gate for the friendly. I quite like watching the up and coming stars of the future although it would be nice if SAF were to play a couple of first teamers just to show a tad of community spirit..

Giggs & Scholes are nearing retirement and it will give them a look at somewhere to play part time when they leave Utd  :D

bighairedmike

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 12:47:28 PM »

I always think half the appeal is looking at their current crop of youngsters. A couple of years back I was impressed by Macheda and Possebon (who might have come on further but for that injury).

He was absolutely class against us and just bossed the match. That injury was horrendous. I remember watching it on TV with my dad and telling him about how good this kid was and then he got injured. Think it was against Pompey if i remember rightly.

Alex

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 01:04:47 PM »

true the XI tag means we are unlikley to see any 'Stars'  however i wouldn't turn ones nose up too quickly at the lack of stars as has been shown in the past the attendance at this fixture XI or not is always good i mean last year 1,772 was a great effort be currious to know how often we got near that in the league games.

last year utd sent some players who you will be hearing a lot of as the years go by if they continue to develop as they are...and one of them was a full international (Evans) Simpson has gone on this year to be a top quality full back for newcastle, Corry Evans (brother of johnny) will be a top player if he continues to develop along with another united first teamers brother in Reece Brown.

but if you want a star attraction that utd bring there reserve gaffa isn't to bad, think he scored a goal against someone once that was like really big....

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 11:37:31 PM »

true the XI tag means we are unlikley to see any 'Stars'  however i wouldn't turn ones nose up too quickly at the lack of stars as has been shown in the past the attendance at this fixture XI or not is always good i mean last year 1,772 was a great effort be currious to know how often we got near that in the league games.

last year utd sent some players who you will be hearing a lot of as the years go by if they continue to develop as they are...and one of them was a full international (Evans) Simpson has gone on this year to be a top quality full back for newcastle, Corry Evans (brother of johnny) will be a top player if he continues to develop along with another united first teamers brother in Reece Brown.

but if you want a star attraction that utd bring there reserve gaffa isn't to bad, think he scored a goal against someone once that was like really big....
[/b]

It wasn't Wrexham was it   ???

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 12:25:33 AM »

Yes, it is maybe true that the Manchester United XI often does not contain any big names, but these lads are all potential international footballers. When they achieve their fame, you can say you saw them at Moss Lane !

The shear speed of these lads running off the ball (for 90mins) is something you will not see in the Conference and people need to appreciate that some of the lads on show are the best young footballers in Europe.
I reckon they would give most League 2 / BSPs clubs a real run for their money
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 10:02:10 AM »

Apparently all the reserve stars are going to be class as Sir Alex says he won't be spending during the summer as he has so many good young players......

it should also be noted that Man U are not skint!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wholly optimistic