PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Players to keep?
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Players to keep?  (Read 7955 times)

Unemployed Coalminer

Re: Players to keep?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 09:50:51 AM »

Cult, who do you believe was retained out of sentimentality? Surely the manager always put out the best team that time, injuries and resources allowed? With four times the budget maybe we'd have seen faster, more skillful players but that's wishful thinking.

altyf

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2008, 09:55:30 AM »

Cult, who do you believe was retained out of sentimentality? Surely the manager always put out the best team that time, injuries and resources allowed? With four times the budget maybe we'd have seen faster, more skillful players but that's wishful thinking.

The whole point of this thread, as pointed out in the first post, was to only name players to keep and not to list players to get rid of!

joe

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2008, 09:55:57 AM »

Coburn,Lane,Young,Lawton,Little,Senior   Thanks but no thanks to the rest of them

Daycare Dan

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 10:03:43 AM »

I think we all know who was retained for that reason, including the manager. Time to move on.

As discused above we have most of a jump off point with Coburn et al, just need to work hard over the summer to add round it. On the up side it looks like we have more time to build than we had previously.

Hamilton

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2008, 10:21:50 AM »

No-one seems to have mentioned Val Owen. What is the situation with him?

altyf

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2008, 11:01:13 AM »

No-one seems to have mentioned Val Owen. What is the situation with him?
I think we have to accept it is going to be very hard to keep Val fit with the type of player he is. He goes into so many challenges that every time we get him fit he gets inuured again.

Jimmy

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2008, 11:06:56 AM »

I have thought about this alot recently and wonder what peoples opinions are of which players we should try to keep next season. Please only post names of the players you would like to keep as posting ones you dont like could be detrimental, so really that would go for not commenting on other peoples opinons as well, just the names is good.

Well here goes for my players to keep.

Coburn
Acton
Young
Lawton
Little
Senior
Lane

You're not far off there pal.  I'd just have Lawton as a squad player, not the first name on the team sheet which he is.

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »

I believed a clear out was needed no matter what league we were in. Some of the players in that squad have suffered 2 consecutive relegations and have suffered many an ardous return from an away match having generally a) not performed b)having lost. That takes its toll and changes the mindset of the squad. As Graham is now staying (he would have been part oif my clearout for the same reasons) I don't think we will have a clearout but for what its worth.

Coburn
Young
Lane
Battersby (lets see him start in friendlies)
Little

Reading Robin

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2008, 11:55:55 AM »

The whole point of this thread, as pointed out in the first post, was to only name players to keep and not to list players to get rid of!

Can't really see the difference, saying keep Coburn, Little, etc makes it obvious you have a rather long list of players to get rid of. 

I just wonder where the people who are suggesting keeping 4/5 players think all these replacements will come from, are budget has increased but not massively. 

Reading Robin

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2008, 11:58:12 AM »

Can't really see the difference, saying keep Coburn, Little, etc makes it obvious you have a rather long list of players to get rid of. 

I just wonder where the people who are suggesting keeping 4/5 players think all these replacements will come from, our budget has increased but not massively. 

Alty365

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2008, 11:59:35 AM »

I just wonder where the people who are suggesting keeping 4/5 players think all these replacements will come from, are budget has increased but not massively. 

It's going to have to happen because even if we retained all the remaining players from last season (highly unlikely) we would only be left with about 10 players!

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2008, 12:04:34 PM »

It is up to the manager to find these players. A simple maths calculation will tell you that if you reduce the squad to 4/5 players then you will have room on the wage budget to replace the lost players. Too many players have been kept because of sentiment or because we've not had time. We now have the time and there cant be any excuses this season.

Reading Robin

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2008, 12:19:24 PM »

I had 11 i would keep and that wasn't keeping everyone.  Obviously players going releases money, but can we really get someone better than Senior (for instance) for the sort of money he is on?  I'd look to keep the 11, bring in 4/5 players along with some players on loan. 

markecky

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2008, 01:11:48 PM »

We could keep the same squad minus the loan players and be utterly sh*t again.  Never thought of that option.

Reading Robin

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2008, 01:34:11 PM »

The way i see it we would have stayed up if we had the loan players from the start of the season.  I'd look to sign 4/5 players, i imagine Sedge was one of the higher paid players so should have a good chance of signing a strong replacement there. 

People are thinking 3 seasons of struggling so let's change everything, but with our budget at the moment we can't expect more than lower mid-table and that's overachieving.  Bringing in a new squad is very risky in terms of quality- i doubt there are 10+ players of BSP quality Alty can attract.  As we have seen with Barratt those that may be of the quality and are possibly interested we have competition for.  Also any cohesion would be lost, which could lead to a very poor start to the season.   
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Players to keep?