PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Neil tolson on BBC radio Manchester after 7pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Neil tolson on BBC radio Manchester after 7pm  (Read 11261 times)

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
Re: Neil tolson on BBC radio Manchester after 7pm
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2016, 09:45:57 AM »

In some respects it makes a lot of sense, there are three possible things that could now happen and it solves the issue of giving a national league manager a contract to have him manage in the national north.  1st Tolson keeps us up, the team are rejuvenised and the chairman thinks he can do a good job in the national, 2nd We stay up but the chairman thinks that a proven national manager is required, 3rd we go down and a national north manager is required.
The wages and structures should be very different.  I know its disappointing in some ways I wanted a big name to make a difference but we are not newcastle and I just don't think we can afford to gamble all.  Are we really sure that a big name would have made a difference without knowing the team in time.  All we can do is give our full backing to Tolson and see what happens.  I'd take either 1 or 2 above.
Si you have missed the 4th option which is most likely,we go down and Tolson remains manager in blue square north

I'd be amazed if he carried on next season if we were relegated Jim.  Then again, I'm amazed he is manager for the rest of this season

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2016, 10:27:31 AM »

He must've ran a top class training session on Thursday... ::)

Hugo

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2016, 10:47:36 AM »

Having given it some thought I've come to the opinion that it's probably a sensible move in the circumstances. I wish them the best of luck and am right behind them.

Hemel Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2016, 10:51:50 AM »

As has been said elsewhere, avoiding relegation will be a massive challenge from here. However getting promoted again from the Conference North will be a hell of a lot harder (there's always 2 or 3 clubs throwing money at it). So forget next season' s manager for now. We just need someone to come in and is proven at short term crisis management (think a Conference equivalent of Allardyce/Warnock etc) to take us out of the mess we're in.Then we sit down at the end of the season when we know where we will be next season and make a long term appointment.  Not sure Tolson is that man due to his association with LS and sadly I'm not even sure such a man exists at this level.

Cheadle Hulme Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2016, 11:45:56 AM »

I think the reason he got the job is that he has well and truly got his feet under the table in helping to run the CSH and therefore won't ever be sacked. In my opinion we've got him for the foreseeable future and I'm pretty certain it will guarantee seeing the back of a couple of long term regulars from the playing staff.

Bath Alty

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2016, 12:50:41 PM »

Hasn't he always said he saw himself as a number 2?  This is a short term appointment while we look for a new long term manager.  I'd like him in before the end of the season so he can get to know the current squad, get the retained list right and start searching early to fill the gaps.  Don't know if that will happen or if Tols has been guaranteed 12 games or whatever it is.  "I can't guarantee I can fix it" is hardly the sales pitch of a man desperate for the job is it?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2016, 01:38:51 AM »

Would it really be too much to ask for the Altrincham FC website to carry official confirmation of the exact terms of Neil Tolson's appointment?

And that does not in any way constitute a criticism of John Laidlar.

I just think that it would be nice to learn about the revised structure of our club from its Board of Directors rather than via Radio Manchester.

An official club statement on the matter wouldn't go amiss.  

Mind you, after the hash which was made of the last one....!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Neil tolson on BBC radio Manchester after 7pm