News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Question for internet experts

Author Topic: Question for internet experts  (Read 1516 times)

Red N White Dynamite

« on: May 08, 2007, 02:26:54 PM »

How difficult/costly would it be to edit and broadcast online highlights of Alty home games in Blue Square North?

Also, is there anything which might legally prevent the club from doing this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Question for internet experts
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 03:39:25 PM »

Right Legal issues are not my strong point but i think setanta have just paid alot of money for the rights to conference football and i believe it to be all three leagues,

Editing highlights aint my strong point either but i'm guessing it would take 2 hours mabee to go through and get the goodbits meshed together

The Site, My Strong point, it can be done! lol But it would take a while, given setting this up would have to be done in people spare time it would take even longer.

First thing that need sorting out though is the Legal issue

Red N White Dynamite

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 03:50:07 PM »

One thing that springs to mind is that Conferencefootball.tv still showed highlights of games broadcast live on Sky. Perhaps the same would be possible even though Setanta have the rights for the conference.

I do not believe for one minute that they intend to show any live games from Blue Square North/South.

No disrespect intended here but I don't think Vauxhall v Redditch on a Tuesday night in front of 142 was quite what they had in mind when they bought the rights.   ???

UkrainianPhil

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 03:57:07 PM »

How difficult/costly would it be to edit and broadcast online highlights of Alty home games in Blue Square North?

Also, is there anything which might legally prevent the club from doing this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hello Slade Green Alty,

I produce and edit the York City FC Season Highlights and can answer a couple of your questions.

In terms of time spent editing, I would say that to do a decent job of an individual game may take 3-5 hours depending on how sophisticated you want to be. For example if you want to add replays, graphics, logos etc it will take longer and, when you first start out, is painstaking. This is the 3rd season I have done the highlights so now I have a nice bank of logos, graphics etc which makes it much quicker. Editing is not particularly difficult, editing WELL is. You will find the biggest obstacles are things such as sound levels, colour balancing, graphic balancing depending on how good your cameraman is. When I took a look at the Alty v York game, the footage was very well shot, the sound levels a bit quiet, and the balancing a bit dark (probably due to video transfer and poor floodlighting at Moss Lane!).

In terms of rights, we have had no trouble at all. Sky's rights have only been limited to live games and, even then, they cannot stop you from filming (although the practicalities are another question). One of the reasons they pay such a pisspoor amount of cash is that their rights are not "full" and so, while they do have the power to change the date and kick off times of games, they do NOT have the power to stop another person/company filming so long as the club have given you permission. As far as I understand this is NOT the case in the Football League where rights are exclusive, and that's why FL teams get a lot more money for the coverage. With Setanta, I would be amazed if they had paid for exclusive rights and will probably have a similar deal to Sky, although I don't know that for a fact, check with the club. You might get greater opposition from Conference TV than Setanta, if they are still around but again I wouldn't worry about it until they do.

I don't know much about internet broadcasting but I can't see why it wouldn't be possible.

If you want to have a look at how we do it for York City then PM me with your address and I will gladly send you a complimentary copy for reference. Now we are out of the play-offs, Part 3 (February-May) will be coming out very soon once I have interviewed the manager and edited the play-off footage (what there is of it). Unemployed Coalminer has seen one from last season if memory serves. This season a typical DVD consists of:

First team action (approx 1 hour)
Reserve team goals (approx 15 mins)
Interview with manager + montage to music (approx 10-15 mins, depending on how much he has to say!)
Total running time about 80-90 minutes.

Hope that helps, not sure that it does but I've gone and typed it now!

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team