News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Traipsing Around the Northern Half of the Country 2012/13

Author Topic: Traipsing Around the Northern Half of the Country 2012/13  (Read 3614 times)

taxi Phil

« on: November 23, 2011, 08:28:43 PM »

Distance Traveller's comment on the farewell to Robbie thread set me thinking.

Let us first accept the fkn elephant in the room. We will almost certainly be stuck in this league next season.

The two most genuinely Northern clubs in this league, Blyth Spartans and Workington, both look a good bet to go down.

BSP relegation will probably throw us Alfreton Town (in place of their neighbours Eastwood Town perhaps) but the other drop clubs could well ALL be Southern (sorry any Bishops Stortford fans who've dropped in, but you'd better pray that AFC Telford crash and burn !)

We may well get our Xmas derby with Vics back, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Hednesford Town were back on our radar alongside them.

We'll have a club fron Evo Stik Southern for sure - it could be Stourbridge. (I'll have to get someone to drive so I can down a few pints of Batham's in the Bull & Bladder at Brierley Hill on the way back from that one !)

So...............most Northerly club Harrogate Town, only Guiseley, Halifax, and Droylsden further North than us besides them............and a lot of traipsing around the Midlands !

Perhaps the Shrewsbury Two might like to consider setting up a B&B in the summer - they're going to be better placed than most of us for next year's "adventures" on the road.

thegazelle

Re: Traipsing Around the Northern Half of the Country 2012/13
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 08:34:44 PM »

Phil is old ma Pardoe's still going anf then there's dasher downings at stottesdon

bumble

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 08:42:25 PM »

Well Stafford is quite centrally located so Ill be fine for the away games  ;)

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 09:50:38 PM »

Let us first accept the fkn elephant in the room. We will almost certainly be stuck in this league next season.

The two most genuinely Northern clubs in this league, Blyth Spartans and Workington, both look a good bet to go down.

BSP relegation will probably throw us Alfreton Town (in place of their neighbours Eastwood Town perhaps) but the other drop clubs could well ALL be Southern (sorry any Bishops Stortford fans who've dropped in, but you'd better pray that AFC Telford crash and burn !)

We may well get our Xmas derby with Vics back, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Hednesford Town were back on our radar alongside them.

We'll have a club fron Evo Stik Southern for sure - it could be Stourbridge. (I'll have to get someone to drive so I can down a few pints of Batham's in the Bull & Bladder at Brierley Hill on the way back from that one !)

So...............most Northerly club Harrogate Town, only Guiseley, Halifax, and Droylsden further North than us besides them............and a lot of traipsing around the Midlands !

Perhaps the Shrewsbury Two might like to consider setting up a B&B in the summer - they're going to be better placed than most of us for next year's "adventures" on the road.

As it stands at present I will be losing my job next year so that maybe a good idea..
Dont worry Phil I will do you a decent price matey   ;)

taxi Phil

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 10:07:33 PM »

Phil is old ma Pardoe's still going anf then there's dasher downings at stottesdon
Ma Pardoe's - utterly amazing boozer ! it surely must still be there because it would be defiling a piece of Black Country history if it wasn't !

Dasher Downing's however is not one I've encountered.

taxi Phil

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 10:09:11 PM »

As it stands at present I will be losing my job next year so that maybe a good idea..
Dont worry Phil I will do you a decent price matey   ;)
if the Law Commission get their way, my job will be well on its way down the pan by 2013, so I can entirely sympathise.

RocketDan

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 11:15:30 PM »

f**k that - My away day list 2012/13: Stockport, Lincoln, Grimsby, Darlington, Luton, Mansfield et.al

I haven't given up hope in Lee - that said we will need about 50 points from the remaining 25 games to be in the play-off mix, which I admit at current looks unlikely.

Alex

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 06:08:03 AM »

For purley selfish reasons IF we don't manage promotion this year I'd like to see us apply for the Blue Square Bet South Division (the confrence are so thick they probably think that were a local derby for truro)

In all seriousness though I think we can still make the play offs there is a lot of the season left and the teams above us are not exactly pulling away and off into the distance so as I'm watching Rocky I'll quote the line "aint nothing over till its over"

Hamilton

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 12:29:39 PM »

For purley selfish reasons IF we don't manage promotion this year I'd like to see us apply for the Blue Square Bet South Division (the confrence are so thick they probably think that were a local derby for truro)

In all seriousness though I think we can still make the play offs there is a lot of the season left and the teams above us are not exactly pulling away and off into the distance so as I'm watching Rocky I'll quote the line "aint nothing over till its over"

But isn't that the same boke who let in 4 goals against Germany?

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »

Might not be so bad if we have Northwich Vics, Chester and Stockport joimg us..

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 01:17:17 PM »

Might not be so bad if we have Northwich Vics, Chester and Stockport joimg us..

Apart from making it more difficult to escape its parochial clutches
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 10:09:58 PM »

It'd be bearable though.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 03:58:23 AM »

It'd be bearable though.

Fair point Sir
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team