PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 No excuses for Gloucester
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: No excuses for Gloucester  (Read 6153 times)

bighairedmike

Re: No excuses for Gloucester
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 10:49:54 AM »

Cheer up Colin P, oh what can it mean, To a cheating bastard, sacked by Forest Green

Possibly the first time I've appreciated something you've written JJ... ;-)

taxi Phil

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 11:20:41 AM »

Brimscombe and Thrupp sounds like a 1950s school outfitters.
Give us a ""B"...........

taxi Phil

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 11:22:47 AM »

Cheer up Colin P, oh what can it mean, To a cheating bastard, sacked by Forest Green
This is one Peake that deserves a Goodwin ! I hope we can get it into this afternoon's repertoire.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 11:31:50 AM »

In case some of the younger fans don't know what this man did, here is a brief summary.

We signed a striker called James Robinson from Accrington Stanley.   He had played in Iceland before playing for them.  We later found out that they never got international clearance for him (as all clubs do).  We never checked or it was never mentioned by James as last time we looked Accrington was well within England, albeit in the 1960's.

We were looking at losing 18 points which at the time was a record points deduction for all the points we got whilst he played.

There looked like there was some sympathy growing for our case and many other clubs agreed that it could have happened to them.  The chairman of another club, Mick Woodward, was so outraged by it he paid for a top London QC to represent us at the hearing at a cost of over £20,000.

At the time, a Forest Green Rovers were looking like going down, before the new money came in and they only sold lentils in the snack bar.

Colin Peake saw this as his chance to save his club, climbed on his moral high horse with his laptop and emailed every other club in the league (see emails in link above) urging them all to write to the FA and league about this.

He also threatened legal action against the conference and the FA and worried them enough to ensure that we had no chance of winning any case.  He insinuated that the case wouldn't be open and transparent.

There hadn't been a case like it (a transfer between 2 English clubs) and I don't think there has been since.

How amusing it was when Mr Peake was binned after his loyal service by that nutty eco millionaire bloke.

He may have crept round some people at the club but for me his behaviour was sneaky, unnecessary and downright vindictive.

Can't stand the man.

I also heard a story that it was John Coleman the Accrington Manager, who was the first to learn about the 'ineligibility' of the player he had let us have and was quick to tell his mates at bottom club Southport. So it was pleasing for me to see him sacked at Rochdale last week after a short tenure.

I might be totally wrong on the above, in which case does anybody know how the issue first came to the surface, because 18 points means a lot of games played before the error on Accrington and our behalf was realised
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 12:16:41 PM »

Tremendous work!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 12:32:36 PM »

In case some of the younger fans don't know what this man did, here is a brief summary.

We signed a striker called James Robinson from Accrington Stanley.   He had played in Iceland before playing for them.  We later found out that they never got international clearance for him (as all clubs do).  We never checked or it was never mentioned by James as last time we looked Accrington was well within England, albeit in the 1960's.

We were looking at losing 18 points which at the time was a record points deduction for all the points we got whilst he played.

There looked like there was some sympathy growing for our case and many other clubs agreed that it could have happened to them.  The chairman of another club, Mick Woodward, was so outraged by it he paid for a top London QC to represent us at the hearing at a cost of over £20,000.

At the time, a Forest Green Rovers were looking like going down, before the new money came in and they only sold lentils in the snack bar.

Colin Peake saw this as his chance to save his club, climbed on his moral high horse with his laptop and emailed every other club in the league (see emails in link above) urging them all to write to the FA and league about this.

He also threatened legal action against the conference and the FA and worried them enough to ensure that we had no chance of winning any case.  He insinuated that the case wouldn't be open and transparent.

There hadn't been a case like it (a transfer between 2 English clubs) and I don't think there has been since.

How amusing it was when Mr Peake was binned after his loyal service by that nutty eco millionaire bloke.

He may have crept round some people at the club but for me his behaviour was sneaky, unnecessary and downright vindictive.

Can't stand the man.

I also heard a story that it was John Coleman the Accrington Manager, who was the first to learn about the 'ineligibility' of the player he had let us have and was quick to tell his mates at bottom club Southport. So it was pleasing for me to see him sacked at Rochdale last week after a short tenure.

I might be totally wrong on the above, in which case does anybody know how the issue first came to the surface, because 18 points means a lot of games played before the error on Accrington and our behalf was realised

Yes, I heard that too and it was related on Confguide forum at the time too. Spaccrington being a club full of scousers gave a nod and a wink to their mates at Southport and whilst Peake is always rightly remembered as the villain of the piece, Accy and Southport stirred the pot as well. If i remember correctly Southport beat Accy 2-0 at Haig Avenue towards the end of that season and their was an awful lot of mutual backslapping that night in the Southport boardroom apparenty, Southport's mad old Chairman Charlie Clapham being a big noise on the Conference Board. Accrington an odious little club, they'll be back in NL one day soon.

Robins Retweet

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 01:04:54 PM »

Never forget the day peake tryed to enter our bar, it was either joe, ecky hughsie or all three gave him his marching orders of "your not welcome" "do one"   :D

tigerroar

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2013, 08:36:27 PM »

I was surprised to see him there today but said he wasn't bothered when I spoke to him.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2013, 09:04:57 PM »

I hardly expected the arsehole to have developed a conscience after all this time.
Come on Alty!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2013, 08:37:11 PM »

Can't stand the man.

The key point for me was that when Ecky says Peake emailed every other club in the conference he didn't have the bollocks to email every single club. He managed to not email Altrincham FC.

A horrible prick.

tigerroar

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2013, 09:48:52 PM »

Technically, were Altrincham FC in the wrong?

If he acted how he did, wasn't he only doing the best for his club? It's a dog eat dog world!

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2013, 09:56:12 PM »

Can see why he did it as you say 'a dog eat dog world'. However, as Ballers says, the way he went about it emailing everyone except Altrincham was highly disrespectful. The majority of the Conference teams were on our side (Grays and Woking fans get special mentions). Peake and Mark Cooper were the only ones who went public IIRC, hence the resentment we have for Forest Green and Tamworth.

Horrible man, who I believe a lot of Gloucester fans don't like too.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

markecky

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2013, 09:57:31 PM »

Technically, were Altrincham FC in the wrong?

If he acted how he did, wasn't he only doing the best for his club? It's a dog eat dog world!

Depends what you mean by in the wrong.

It's not really the done thing when signing a player from an English club to check he has international clearance.  

It was Accrington's job to do that.  

No other club official felt it necessary to make this his personal crusade "for the good of the game" as he so crassly put it.

Utter T**t mate, and nothing you can say will make me feel any diifferent.

tigerroar

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2013, 10:26:50 PM »

who I believe a lot of Gloucester fans don't like too.

I don't believe that's right to be fair, he has a wealth of experience and has been brilliant for us since he's been here. Our club needs to get more professional and he's helping us achieve that.

bumble

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2013, 10:32:32 PM »

who I believe a lot of Gloucester fans don't like too.

I don't believe that's right to be fair, he has a wealth of experience and has been brilliant for us since he's been here. Our club needs to get more professional and he's helping us achieve that.
I spoke to numerous Gloucester fans who disliked the man personally, but could fault him bringing the money in

THe equiviliant is like say me disliking Grahame Rowley or Foz ( for the record I dont.) but they they work hard and do a lot of good raising money
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 10:38:47 PM by Stoke Alty »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 No excuses for Gloucester