News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Clee at left back???!!!

Author Topic: Clee at left back???!!!  (Read 3045 times)

joe

Clee at left back???!!!
« on: August 18, 2012, 10:19:31 PM »

I cant believe we are wasting our most creative player by playing him at left back! Sinnott has had all summer to find a recognized left back yet continues to play Clee there! Round holes,square pegs etc and its only game one!!

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Clee at left back???!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 10:22:55 PM »

and lawrie at left mid , this nonsense must surely stop

bumble

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 10:54:18 PM »

Speaking to him after the game very briefly even he's bemused by the decision!

Nonleaguer

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 11:19:41 PM »

Bemused or not as a player he should keep those views to himself or he undermines the manager or at least ensure that his feelings are not disclosed on a public forum,

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 11:25:36 PM »

Bemused or not as a player he should keep those views to himself or he undermines the manager or at least ensure that his feelings are not disclosed on a public forum,

agreed mate

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 12:04:41 AM »

agreed mate

One hundred percent, particularly as someone other than Stoke Alty has reported that Nicky quite enjoys playing there

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 12:21:26 AM »

agreed mate

One hundred percent, particularly as someone other than Stoke Alty has reported that Nicky quite enjoys playing there

I suspect that Nicky would still enjoy himself if he played as a goalkeeper.

However, that doesn't mean that it's his best position.....!

Please can we sort out the left full back position ASAP and get Clee back to tormenting opposing right full backs instead?

« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 12:22:57 AM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

FJT1980

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 06:38:19 AM »

Never again do I want to see Clee at left-back. I think the Sinnott out shouts were premature

JDN

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 07:56:42 AM »

agreed mate

I spoke to him as well and bemused is putting it mildly, very disheartened

andrewflynn

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 10:01:17 AM »

I'm no professorial football manager, but if you were going to completely insist on playing Nicky Clee at left back surely you would change your system to accommodate his natural ability going forward with the ball? Its what teams like Real Madrid do with Marcelo and Barcelona with Dani Alves. (Yes, I'm aware this is Altrincham with Nicky Clee but the sentiment remains... If Barcelona told Dani Alves to stick to his half for most of the game he wouldn't be half as good as he is now.)

It is clear that in a flat back four Clee is wasted, and his natural willingness to get forward almost cost us at times yesterday. Like I said, I'm not a football manager, but playing an almost Heathcoate-esque style 5-3-2 / 3-5-2 would allow Clee to get forward and back whilst not selling ourselves short in defence. Example:

Reeves             Watmore
                                                     Lawrie
                 Clee                                                             Densmore
                                   Rodgers                  Lacey
                             Hall                    Havern          Leather

Clee and Densmore are two players who will work hard for the team if asked, when out of position they drop into the defence, and when going forward Clee in particular is given the freedom to push forward with Rodgers covering for him. You are then essentially attacking with 5 and defending with 7 once the wingers are back: you then get the best of both worlds with Clee.

Its a Sunday morning and I'm bored.

joe

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 12:16:07 PM »

I think Arabian Investor has a good point. With the players we have I think that would definitely be the best formation and tactics.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Clee at left back???!!!