PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Russia to host 2018 World Cup
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Russia to host 2018 World Cup  (Read 23746 times)

Altysteward93

Re: Russia to host 2018 World Cup
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2010, 10:56:05 PM »

From "The Australian.com"

In Qatar

- Homosexual acts are illegal. Penalties include lengthy jail sentence, corporal punishment and/or deportation.

- Penalties for drug offences include long prison sentences.

- Drinking alcohol outside licensed premises are illegal. Penalties include detention, substantial fine, prison sentence and deportation.

- The penalty for drunkenness and defamation may include corporal punishment if the offenders are Muslims.

- Taking photographs of local people, particularly women, without permission and where there has been no previous contact, is illegal and can lead to arrest or fines.

- Men and women should dress modestly with clothing covering the shoulders and knees

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2010, 02:51:07 AM »

Oh and afterwards the stadiums will be taken down and sent to Africa?

Many of these impoverished African countries have magnificent new stadiums already.
I have been on the Nelson Mandela stadium in Kampala which was built by the Chinese coincidently around the time of the bidding for te Beijing Olympics.The stadium is a fantastic 40,000 all seater wihich brilliamt facilities and far better than that shell built in Sydney for the 2000 Olympics. However when I was in Uganda the stadium was not accessble as Kampala City council could not afford to surface the car park or rebuild the one single lane access road. I believe there are similar other stadiums in Africa including one in Kigali.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2010, 02:54:54 AM »

If anyone just saw itv news article of Qatar

Half the size of Wales
It has 2 cities, and 3 more will be built! The country isn't finiidjed
However they're going to re look at the drinking, ANYONE is allowed in (no visa - this is one of the many rules we had to agree too)
And theyve never qualified (judging by the miss put on the forum last week I can see why)

Very strange to hold a World tournament when the Middle East countries wont compete in competitons with Israel. I hope this means that Israel will be in a Middle East qualifying group instead of trying to take one of the European places.

taxi Phil

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2010, 07:31:29 AM »

Very strange to hold a World tournament when the Middle East countries wont compete in competitons with Israel. I hope this means that Israel will be in a Middle East qualifying group instead of trying to take one of the European places.

With all due respect to Israel (to coin a phrase) they'd have to  improve massively in the next 8 years to actually qualify.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2010, 08:59:01 AM »

With all due respect to Israel (to coin a phrase) they'd have to  improve massively in the next 8 years to actually qualify.
[/b]

Maybe that is why Steve (Bagpuss) Evans wants to leave Crawley so he can lead Israel to the promised land of World Cup Qualification 2022.  :D ;)

fuertes

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2010, 11:01:22 AM »

Just thought I'd mention, if we did set-up an alternative tournament, nobody would join. It'd be seen as English arrogance and/or sour grapes.

Oh well, at least we're all completely certain about FIFA corruption now. It'll all come out eventually.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2010, 11:41:40 AM »

Oh well so its at least 2026 before another WC win for England ....  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Is it just me that thinks England have too much infrastructure and are set up too well and Fifa would obviously rather give it to a country where football needs a kickstart \ helping hand ?

I went to Germany v Russia in Euro 96 and it was good, went with my dad .. Prob the last match we have been to, and a WC up in the country may have prob been the next game we'd go to but the truth is 'England' failed to 'get behind the event' after England went out. It seems to be England fans travel better away to watch random matches that what they do in the own country ? Maybe its the 'different country' reason ?

I am only going from memory but sure it was the case that Euro 96 was not a huge success away from England matches ?

Can't say I was ar**d either way about it being here or not but its a shame on those that want to watch England in a major tournament who can not afford to go overseas to watch it ?

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 11:54:11 AM by gazwarrington »

Butty

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2010, 06:22:47 PM »

and far better than that shell built in Sydney for the 2000 Olympics.

If you have ever been to the stadium, you will see that it is actually one of the most technically advanced stadiums in the world, despite being over 10 years old.

taxi Phil

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2010, 11:16:43 AM »

Arriving back at Heathrow Airport, David Cameron told a press conference "the boys done good but we was robbed !"

bumble

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2010, 12:21:22 PM »

Only on the gossip column off BBC (from Daily Mirror) but :-

"AND FINALLY
The 2022 World Cup in Qatar could be played in January because of player safety fears with summer temperatures in the Middle East hitting 50 degrees. "

If this stupid runour were to be true, the winter break must be added, well for the top 2 divisions atleast

York Alty

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2010, 02:05:09 PM »

the requiremenst is for the world cup to tka eplace during the European closed season.  if this is (HUGE IF) then FIFA leave themselves open to legal action by shall we say the more litigious nations, one of them being the US of A.

bumble

« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2010, 03:31:07 PM »

Apparently there's changes being made to European schedules, in 2012-13 ?

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2010, 06:43:42 PM »

they just had andy anson from the bid team on R5 who said two startling things
1. only 3 voting members asked to see the technical reports. as he said if those things arent important just say and we wont bother doing them
2. there are still 4 members claiming to be the one who voted for england

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2010, 08:46:45 PM »

and far better than that shell built in Sydney for the 2000 Olympics.

If you have ever been to the stadium, you will see that it is actually one of the most technically advanced stadiums in the world, despite being over 10 years old.

I did a tour of Stadium Australia a couple of months after the Olympics and before they 'upgraded' it by reducing its capacity by nearly 30,000. Its beautiful inside when you look at the field of play and seating. However there were virtually no facilities behind/under the stands. In comparisson the Nelson Mandela Stadium in Kampala which I visited a couple of years earlier had every facility you could think of and fully equipped, training areas, function rooms, treatment rooms, several gyms, other sports rooms such as for squash and table tennis.The reason for Stadium Australia lacking similar facilities was that the Ausies built the Olympic Villiage next to the stadium so the Athletes trained in the village and didnt need changing facilities as they used their accommodation. Once the Olmpics were over the village was sold for residential homes creating 2,000 homes - now that is what I call a clever and thoughtful LEGACY of a World event.

brian1925

« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2010, 08:47:16 PM »

I once taught a group of Qatari sailors English – honestly. One of them threatened to cut my throat and I’m really not that bad at teaching! In truth, most of them were quite pleasant, but very ‘raw’ shall we say, frequently offering the female teachers gifts of gold. Strange people I’d say, but I’m not that concerned about them hosting the World Cup, as they’ll throw everything at it and probably do a surprisingly good job.
I lived in The Ukraine for a year and travelled through Russia on the Trans-Siberian. The thought of them hosting the World Cup is mind boggling to say the least, given the scale of the problems they have in that part of the globe. They’ll have to invest every penny in their infrastructure over the next 8 years and probably starve several million people in the process to get away with it. Hand on heart, they should have given it to us or Spain.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Russia to host 2018 World Cup