Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 music for old people pt 75 (dont open if young and not interested in old music)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: music for old people pt 75 (dont open if young and not interested in old music)  (Read 12377 times)

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

I don't rule out any genre or era myself, Led Zep the best band ever, still listen to Floyd, but the likes of The Clash, Jam, still greats. Even some Motown stuff is ok if in the mood as a total direction change, plus modern stuff mainly indie bands, Foo Fighters good, Kings of Leon, QOTSA. Loved the Smiths in the 80's amongst others but studenty bands like The Cure and others left me cold.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

thegazelle

uro pop is good ya in an opus type way what was the one about the bloke nearly getting his leg over with suzanna and the door bell goes

thegazelle

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
@AltyDaz

Simon Arron

Off the top of my head...

Nazareth, FTH
Boxer, Crawler and Moon, FTH
Gordon Giltrap, FTH
Barclay James Harvest, Apollo & FTH
Manfred Mann's Earth Band (twice, can't remember where)
Surgical Supports, AGS
10CC, Apollo
Lindisfarne, Sheffield Uni x 2
Rick Wakeman, Sheffield City Hall
Gary Glitter, Sheffield Uni ball
Mud, Sheffield Uni ball
The Church, somewhere near London Victoria
Springsteen, Roundhay Park 1985
Crap Genesis (ie no Gabriel), Wrexham & NEC
Isaac Hayes, Indianapolis Jazz Festival*
(* Buddy Guy was playing when we walked in - we heard him, but didn't actually see him)
Sharon Shannon, Barbican
Caravan, Bar Cuba, Macclesfield
Roger Waters (with Nick Mason), Magny-Cours
Bill Bailey, somewhere in London
...and other stuff

This year I've seen Springsteen at the Emirates plus REM, Editors and The Guillemots at Twickenham

I turned down an offer to see The Stone Roses at Bowdon Vale and also spurned a Pink Floyd ticket in 1994 because I had a chance to take part in a football match at Witham Town's ground and decided to extend the repertoire of non-league pitches on which I've played (that'll be three - Witham, Sutton Utd and Melksham Town).

bighairedmike

I went to see Supertramp on 30th November 1975 at the Palace in Manchester. Joan Armatrading was the support act.

Saw Jack Bruce that year at the Free Trade Hall ... and Deep Purple there a few years earlier with Nazareth as support (that one cost me 50p to get in!)

Bet that was a quality gig. Went to see deep purple about 5 years ago, supported by Thunder and Peter Frampton.

I was also at the genesis gig and at Bon Jovi in june and saw motorhead last november. Can't beat the good old bands.

And as the stone roses has just been mentioned i was at the Ian Brown gig last december (the night of the Hatton fight) and they were supported by Reverend and the Makers who were just as good, if not better than, Ian himself.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Slightly off kilter but worth mentioning for you SImon. If you are on facebook, search for the football grounds you have vicsited application.

It has a list of just about every football ground in the world (all the way down to North West counties) that you can tick off.

thegazelle

earth band was at opera house and i thought you did bjh at the opera house as well
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 12:28:51 AM by thegazelle »

Railway Alty

Just a question, did anyone frequent Cezannes in Alty town centre on a Tuesday night? First live band they had was Son of a bitch who were in fact Saxon. Victor Brox used to play regularly. Those were the days.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Mr Arron, you include GG in your list. Not supposed to be PC these days, but I suppose we didn't know back in the day. I had a couple of singles of the big haired one.

Early influences for me due to my dad were The Hollies and Beatles. Sgt Pepper was a stage in my upbringing.

My son has been laughing at this thread, there is some noise coming from his bedroom! Dadrock.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

JackSwindells No 1 Fan

So, best bands.. try this

1.The Who
2.The Who
3. The Who
etc. etc.. get the idea..
Why?
1971 Odeon Manchester 50p
1973 Belle Vue x 2
1974 Charlton FC
1975 Belle Vue x 2
1975 Stafford Bingley Hall
1976 Charlton FC
1979 Stafford Bingley Hall
1981 Mcr Appollo x 2
1982 B'ham NEC
1989 B'ham NEC
1989 Wembley Arena
1996 Hyde Park
1996 Nynex Mcr
1997 Wembley Arena - (Daisy's first Who show!)
2000 MEN Arena
2002 Watford Colosseum
2004 Royal Albert Hall
2006 Harewood House
2006 B'ham NIA
2007 Knowsley Hall £96!
to be continued!

Might seem like I'm a one man band, nothing further from the truth...

Last couple of years...

The Stones, Status Quo, Eric Clapton, Kaiser Chiefs, Zutons x3, REM, Mountain, Roger Chapman (ex Family if anyone can remember, 66+ and still going strong), Wishbone Ash (first in 1973, still see them one ayear), The Flaming Lips, Eels, Bowie, Stevie Winwood, Midge Ure and hundreds more over the years.
However, The Who are simply THE BEST LIVE ROCK AND ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD EVER. (Despite being Londoners!).  Just as big Jack Swindells will always be the best No. 10 ever to play for Alty.

2007 Knowsley Hall

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Off the top of my head...

Nazareth, FTH
Boxer, Crawler and Moon, FTH
Gordon Giltrap, FTH
Barclay James Harvest, Apollo & FTH
Manfred Mann's Earth Band (twice, can't remember where)
Surgical Supports, AGS
10CC, Apollo
Lindisfarne, Sheffield Uni x 2
Rick Wakeman, Sheffield City Hall
Gary Glitter, Sheffield Uni ball
Mud, Sheffield Uni ball
The Church, somewhere near London Victoria
Springsteen, Roundhay Park 1985
Crap Genesis (ie no Gabriel), Wrexham & NEC
Isaac Hayes, Indianapolis Jazz Festival*
(* Buddy Guy was playing when we walked in - we heard him, but didn't actually see him)
Sharon Shannon, Barbican
Caravan, Bar Cuba, Macclesfield
Roger Waters (with Nick Mason), Magny-Cours
Bill Bailey, somewhere in London
...and other stuff

This year I've seen Springsteen at the Emirates plus REM, Editors and The Guillemots at Twickenham

I turned down an offer to see The Stone Roses at Bowdon Vale and also spurned a Pink Floyd ticket in 1994 because I had a chance to take part in a football match at Witham Town's ground and decided to extend the repertoire of non-league pitches on which I've played (that'll be three - Witham, Sutton Utd and Melksham Town).

Moon were outstanding at the Free Trade Hall.Whatever happened to them ???

seasonticket

Thought this was music for old people?
 I saw people like Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent and the like. Marvin Rainwater, there's a name to conjour with and Conway Twitty to say nothing of Bobby Darin an exceptional talent he had. Don't forget probably the first of the rock stars, Bill Haley closely followed by Elvis.
Then there was skiffle, Lonnie Donegan, Chas Mcdevitt and Shirley Dougls, Nancy Whiskey, The Vipers these last few taking American folk songs and selling them back to the Yanks. How cool is that.
That was the music I was brought up on as a teenager. Now I am a Katherine Jenkins fan, and before any one jumps to the wrong conclusion, that is for her singing. Mind she is a bit of a looker.

thegazelle

the heading didnt say really old people

sorry couldnt resist

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

dreadful taste in music? i suggest you reveiw the whole punk era. you will come up with one or two decent bands  and thats it.

i regret not falling for such bands as the undertones and the jam and the clash and the stranglers and ..............................................................
at the time.But do not, in my tiny mind, think they can walk in the same moccassins as the great barclay james harvest.  i mean look at how europe have embraced BJH and still do you dont get xtc playing as they break down the berlin wall do yer.

and yifter the shifter were hardly mould breaking i should have put them on my list live at the jolly Frier or were they surgical supports at that stage live at the park

The guitar player for the great barclay james harvest.thats still going lives in Altrincham on Gaskell road there still have a big following in Germany

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bxssOv-hAy4&feature=related

So does The Hoff......I rest my case.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 music for old people pt 75 (dont open if young and not interested in old music)