PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Boston United away in the FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Boston United away in the FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round  (Read 15788 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Boston United away in the FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2012, 12:29:15 AM »

Bonz mate, Hartlepool were the first league club I ever saw Alty beat in the FA Cup. My first season of watching Alty so I'm saying 71-72. I clearly remember my dad telling me we could beat Hartlepool and being so excited.  I can still remember the game now, only 10 at the time. Bit of bother with a Pools fan chucking a rock at the main stand windows while being chased around the ground.. The hole remained for  some years. We won 2-0 and for me that was the beginning of our reputation as cup fighters and the beginning of our years as the best non-league side in the country.

That Alty v Hartlepool FA Cup tie took place on Saturday, 24th November 1973.

As previously discussed on this thread:

http://www.altyfans.co.uk/index.php?topic=13118.msg151023#msg151023

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Jezza

« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2012, 03:57:19 AM »

with regards to sealand road it's a pity they built the new stand behind those existing old stands then demolished the old ones leaving a huge gap....then they put an ugly school style wire fence in between it and the pitch....

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2012, 06:17:33 AM »

can anybody identify the odd shaped building in the background?
It was a Manweb building which was on Knutsford Way just off Bumpers Lane. I have played in a couple of Chess tournaments in that building. The building was demolished about 15 years ago
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 11:52:12 AM by Cestrian Alty »
They really should be beating teams like us

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2012, 10:45:37 AM »

Like you say, makes sense for both teams to see it as winnable.
Their form makes odd reading though. 4 wins and no draws. They are the only team to have beaten Chester and only one to lose to Hinkley. Their only other wins were against teams at the bottom but they've won 4 of their last 5.

Can't say I feel over confident but it will be a good test. There are a lot of games to be played before this one too.

Both sides will think this is a winnable tie and rightly so.
Looking at their home results this season I see (like us) they demolished Histon and far more impressively beat Chester 3-2.
However, they have also given Hinckley their only league win all season at York Street and lost to lower mid table Workington.
I think it's fair to say looking at the defensive records on show there could well be goals at both ends.
I like the feel of a draw and winning the replay at Moss Lane though.
Given all the Conference National sides in he draw it could have been far far worse to be fair.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2012, 12:04:03 PM »

As been said, not the greatest but winnable game. Were unlucky to not win there last season. And means we will definately be playing at Moss Lane on 23rd, be it a replay or Workington.
Unless we get a definite result, and Workington draw with Mansfield.

In which case it'll be six away games in a row.

I wonder why the Workington match wasn't re-arranged for the 16th to avoid this possibility? Maybe Utd reserves are playing then?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 12:07:41 PM by Leon »

bonz

« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2012, 02:41:58 PM »

Bonz mate, Hartlepool were the first league club I ever saw Alty beat in the FA Cup. My first season of watching Alty so I'm saying 71-72. I clearly remember my dad telling me we could beat Hartlepool and being so excited.  I can still remember the game now, only 10 at the time. Bit of bother with a Pools fan chucking a rock at the main stand windows while being chased around the ground.. The hole remained for  some years. We won 2-0 and for me that was the beginning of our reputation as cup fighters and the beginning of our years as the best non-league side in the country.

My dad was a monkey hanger and I'm sure I can remember him "commenting" on the result at home! I would have been 13ish at the time. It must have been Alty 'cos I'm sure that was the only non-league side that they lost to. I might be wrong though ' cos they were sh*t!
 As for bother- not as bad as it used to be ( like most places really) but can still be dodgy as Sheff Wed last season proved
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 02:45:22 PM by bonz »

scott tompson

« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2012, 06:53:35 PM »

A winnable game for sure! there not that great and we've got players such as reeves and watmore and coburn that they should be sh*tting themselves for sure! and supossedly we're not a big club? im sorry but whos beaten the most league teams in non-league history whose in non-league atm and played the likes of Liverpool, Everton, Tottenham and Birmingham etc- lets get a good result with a large amount of supporters!

Come on the Alty!

Jenga

« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2012, 07:50:01 PM »

Scott, the issue for me is all that is history. We have not had a cup run for years. We used to be a big non league club, now we are tinpot  ;D

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2012, 07:51:49 PM »

Is watmore fully fit now?
ParkINson's red and white army

anglo alty

« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2012, 05:01:49 PM »

it could have been worse but not much
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]