News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Birmingham 1, Alty 2 article

Author Topic: Birmingham 1, Alty 2 article  (Read 2271 times)

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Birmingham 1, Alty 2 article
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 07:31:34 PM »

And about time for a unique result - the only non-league team to beat a first division team in the Cup away from home coming from behind since the third division was formed, the result also allegedly playing a part in the end of the election system!

Incidentally, is the full match footage released on DVD some years ago? And could some sort of commentary talking people through the match be dubbed onto it (with added interviews etc.? Something I'd pay good money for!

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 09:08:53 AM »

Was a great read and brought back the memories of that glorious night, only spoilt by the coach breaking down on the way near lymm corner..

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 04:28:50 PM »

Was a great read and brought back the memories of that glorious night, only spoilt by the coach breaking down on the way near lymm corner..
  I remember that and them arriving somtime near half time , luckily i was on another coach although ......no such luck back in 1972 when i and around 10 others boarded a mini bus arranged by the club for the NPl cup semi first  leg at Gainsborough . The hapless driver was late and then got lost en route so we arrived at half time , coming back we got a puncture in the middle of nowhere , no spare of course so waited in bitter cold for the breakdown truck and got back to ML around 3am . And we lost !!!  Anyone else out there on that glorious night !   
  Btw missed the 1998 final v the same opponents when .....my car broke down on the way 😵

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 05:27:28 PM »

I remember that and them arriving somtime near half time , luckily i was on another coach although ......no such luck back in 1972 when i and around 10 others boarded a mini bus arranged by the club for the NPl cup semi first  leg at Gainsborough . The hapless driver was late and then got lost en route so we arrived at half time , coming back we got a puncture in the middle of nowhere , no spare of course so waited in bitter cold for the breakdown truck and got back to ML around 3am . And we lost !!!  Anyone else out there on that glorious night !   
  Btw missed the 1998 final v the same opponents when .....my car broke down on the way 😵
Wow you were unlucky, yes we arrived midway through the first half, so saw the important parts of the game second half.

jhcorbett

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2023, 06:32:37 PM »

Good read that.
It has been ranked 4th most improbable FA cup win by the latest set of boffins who look at these things:

https://www.itv.com/football/articles/new-research-crowns-wokings-one-in-16-million-win-as-the-most-improbable

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2023, 02:02:15 AM »

Good read that.
It has been ranked 4th most improbable FA cup win by the latest set of boffins who look at these things:

https://www.itv.com/football/articles/new-research-crowns-wokings-one-in-16-million-win-as-the-most-improbable

...and you can't beat a good boffin'

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2023, 03:34:06 PM »

Just to put the result into some perspective, Birmingham's results in the runup to the match were as follows

December 26 (h) L Nottingham Forest 0-1
December 28 (a) D Manchester City 1-1
January 1      (a) L Manchester United 0-1
January 11    (h) L Ipswich Town 0-1

After the tie they lost again to Everton before finally winning against Oxford United (who only finished 3 points below City) on February 1st. On the night, they had David "Seasman" and Julian Dicks (his actual name!) in the team. So they were poor but not hopeless. Though it was not long until they were in division three.

The crowd that night of 6,636 was only a few hundred more than the famous Frickley-Rotherham tie in the same round - Frickley finished second that season.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Birmingham 1, Alty 2 article