PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 No longer there
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: No longer there  (Read 13231 times)

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: No longer there
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 01:33:08 PM »

I can't believe no one's said the old Wembley

I never went there. However, I've been to the new Wembley three times and it's an excellent stadium. The problem is getting home afterwards because the queue for Wembley Park underground station is horrendous.
Come on Alty!

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 01:48:53 PM »

I can't believe no one's said the old Wembley

I never went there. However, I've been to the new Wembley three times and it's an excellent stadium. The problem is getting home afterwards because the queue for Wembley Park underground station is horrendous.

Went to the old Wembley twice it was a dump once to see a concert in aid of those killed or injured in the Falklands in 1982 and also drove a mini-bus of Stockport fans to some final there in the 90<s
@AltyDaz

thegazelle

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 02:20:07 PM »

loved the old wembley something about the atmosphere and history. yes it was a dump but it was the getting there that was important. The fact that there was only 20,000 or less  people there on the three alty visits was irrelevant the atmosphere was electric.

1978 Great wembley moments the other SW throwing up on a policewomens foot.
That off licence with that big dog after the match
1982 loads of people getting thrown out for not sitting down against enfield and then appearing in the Enfield side of the segregation fence and getting thrown out again and paying to get back in the Alty side, expensive but funny.
1986 Dont remember much about hte runcorn game the Cheshire mid booze and fat cigarette bus took care of those precious memories and my promissed marriage to my afianced at the time

But with a full house for england games the atmosphere was something else 100,000 nearly all supporting the same team.
watched Man u beat Brighton in a final replay and one of the funniest songs i've heard
 stevie foster stevie foster what a difference you have made  what a differnece you have made (old people will inderstand that

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 02:29:07 PM »

loved the old wembley something about the atmosphere and history. yes it was a dump but it was the getting there that was important. The fact that there was only 20,000 or less  people there on the three alty visits was irrelevant the atmosphere was electric.

1978 Great wembley moments the other SW throwing up on a policewomens foot.
That off licence with that big dog after the match
1982 loads of people getting thrown out for not sitting down against enfield and then appearing in the Enfield side of the segregation fence and getting thrown out again and paying to get back in the Alty side, expensive but funny.
1986 Dont remember much about hte runcorn game the Cheshire mid booze and fat cigarette bus took care of those precious memories and my promissed marriage to my afianced at the time

But with a full house for england games the atmosphere was something else 100,000 nearly all supporting the same team.
watched Man u beat Brighton in a final replay and one of the funniest songs i've heard
 stevie foster stevie foster what a difference you have made  what a differnece you have made (old people will inderstand that
[/b]

I remember that song.. He missed the original game through either suspension or injury and made f**k all difference when he played in the replay.
 :D

York Alty

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 03:46:54 PM »

i went to the old wembley a few times. League cup finals, england games, FA trophy finals etc. It was without doubt a dump.  If you ever went round the back you found fly tipping, squalor and the smell was...well not nice.

I had a ticket for the upper terrace and walking up the stairs was foul, wading through an inch or two of wazz that was flowing down.  England V East Germany in 1984 so a good size gate but not a full house.

It was more a national disgrace than a national stadium.  Glad to see it demolished.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 03:56:44 PM »

ROTHERHAM,witton,runcorn vics sC**thorpe,scarboro,muff,chesters old ground sealand rd.You missed that one,Maine Rd.is Elesmere ports ground still there?Went to most games with my father,he has watched Alty since he was 8,his last game was against Mansfield this season,and it will be his last ever.I have just got back to Devon from Manchester visiting him in Wythenshawe hospital,where he is expected to die this week.So another old long standing Alty fan will be gone.
Harold

seasonticket

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 04:08:26 PM »

Horwich RMI anybody?

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 04:12:01 PM »

ROTHERHAM,witton,runcorn vics sC**thorpe,scarboro,muff,chesters old ground sealand rd.You missed that one,Maine Rd.is Elesmere ports ground still there?Went to most games with my father,he has watched Alty since he was 8,his last game was against Mansfield this season,and it will be his last ever.I have just got back to Devon from Manchester visiting him in Wythenshawe hospital,where he is expected to die this week.So another old long standing Alty fan will be gone.

Sorry to read things are not too good at the moment Harold, best wishes mate.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Derek Stubbs

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • thesatmanfootballtv.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 04:36:36 PM »

Colne Dynamoes

Just a few sheds bolted together with a stupid stuntman landing on the pitch.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2010, 05:54:52 PM »

Sorry to hear about your news. I hope your dad is in no pain & is comfortable.

I think E-Ps ground is still there, but used for dogs or bikes or something.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2010, 06:32:06 PM »

Thanks SW and JD.no hes not in pain.
Elesmere port  is only fit for dogs lol after their carry on on the FA cup when we beat em there
Harold

bighairedmike

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2010, 07:28:45 PM »

All the best harold. Hope things are ok. Sad to hear news like that in the alty family.

And to this thread there are none that i am ashamed to have missed. Quite glad to have missed places like stevenage and stonebridge road tbh but there are no local ones really. Apart from possibly hyde. I'll have to find out on that one though.

thegazelle

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2010, 04:28:31 AM »

its easy to say but MY thoughts are with you Harold

baldrick

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2010, 12:06:30 PM »

The best stadium anywhere in the world, The Den, now a Fairview Homes housing estate :'(

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2010, 11:13:45 AM »

Fisher Athletic anyone?
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 No longer there