PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Shrewsbury post match thoughts
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Shrewsbury post match thoughts  (Read 10697 times)

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Shrewsbury post match thoughts
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2014, 06:44:35 PM »

Agree today's team much stronger also the team that started that game is in worse shape than the team that beat Eastbourne because of Eddie having to finish and not helped that Potts and thornley were on bench rather than starting

karl monroe on the right of midfiled if i remember correctly

GB Alty

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2014, 07:44:30 PM »

Strength of the length Peter?

Naughty thinking

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2014, 08:05:59 PM »

and heres the team plus subs that played against stevenage when we came up in 2005 ,1. Stuart COBURN, 15. Peter BAND, 4. Mark MADDOX, 5. Gary TALBOT, 3. Chris ADAMS; 17. Karl MUNROE, 12. Steve HAWES, 8. Val OWEN, 14. Lewis CHALMERS; 19. Gary WILLIAMS, 9. Colin LITTLE. Subs: 7. Colin POTTS, 10. Rod THORNLEY, 13. Richard ACTON (gk), 20. Kieran LUGSDEN, 25. Nehru McKENZIE. Wont be much comparison, only colin would get in todays team imo
Think that goalie fella would too!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Jimmy

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2014, 08:09:58 PM »

Charlmers at his peak was probably the best midfielder in the confrence

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2014, 08:24:04 PM »

Strength of the length Peter?

Naughty thinking

Who Peter? My name is petrocelli

taxi Phil

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2014, 10:09:58 PM »

and heres the team plus subs that played against stevenage when we came up in 2005 ,1. Stuart COBURN, 15. Peter BAND, 4. Mark MADDOX, 5. Gary TALBOT, 3. Chris ADAMS; 17. Karl MUNROE, 12. Steve HAWES, 8. Val OWEN, 14. Lewis CHALMERS; 19. Gary WILLIAMS, 9. Colin LITTLE. Subs: 7. Colin POTTS, 10. Rod THORNLEY, 13. Richard ACTON (gk), 20. Kieran LUGSDEN, 25. Nehru McKENZIE.

Wont be much comparison, only colin would get in todays team imo

The realisation that I would struggle to find a spot in the current line-up to accomodate Val Owen says it all really.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2014, 09:02:04 PM »

Havern and Leather are our best defensive partnership and Leather will be one of the best centre halves in the conference. I hope we don't do what we did last year which was try to accommodate others and play him out of position on occasions until gradually coming around to this inevitable conclusion.

We can't afford to waste points this year. It took LS quite a while to play his best side last year, just in the nick of time in fact but we were very good at the end of last year. This also goes for playing 4-4-2. Don't be wasting time with 3 at the back. An option yes but we should be settled and playing our game.

It's good that by general consensus that all the new outfield signings (with slight debate over S Williams even though he has impressed) should be in the first XI and are better than the incumbents. If you're moving up a division and your signings aren't clearly better than what you already have then you've made mistakes. Don't know whether Gillespie better than Walshaw, but Wally wasn't here so that's by the by. Less important in the case of Parton/keepers in general.

I won't comment too much on Marshall and Perry as I haven't seen enough of pre season other than a couple of points. With his pedigree from Kidderminster, if Tom Marshall is fit and motivated he should be one of the first names on the team sheet. At the moment he's probably our 4th choice centre half. this is something Tom has to deal as there won't be many opportunities to get gifted game time to get fit.

Kyle Perry is a top character who I like, however he was not at the races all last season - having 2 great games against Stalybridge and being a hero in the last minute against Guiseley doesn't mean he was up to scratch.. Some on here seem to think this will be ok in the Conference as he will come up against big galoots of defenders. He won't, they're athletes at this level. Proper athletes, not necessarily great on the ball but proper muscular quick athletes. Kyle will have to get as fit as he possibly can and just do his best, that's all we'll ask for. If it isn't working, LS may need to be cruel to be kind in that regard.

I'm hoping some of our ball players who flatter to deceive occasionally flourish and take their play off form into the conference where it might suit them more (Lawrie, Moult, Wilkinson). I also hope Mike Williams is truly fit.

Moreover, and it sounds as though he will, I hope LS plays exciting attacking football and takes teams by surprise. we should have enough about us to overcome the inevitable rocky patches  if we do.

My team for next week at Aldershot - who really weren't great last season remember is.

Coburn
Densmore Havern Leather Griffin
Crowther Richman Cavanagh Clee (who on earth suggested he wouldn't start, have you seen us play without him?!)
Gillespie Reeves

Subs Parton M Williams S Williams Moult Lawrie Wilkinson Marshall Perry

If we take Gillespie off and go 4-5-1 I hope his replacement is a Lawrie/Wilkinson to play in the hole and still provide an attacking threat where necessary.

Jimmy

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2014, 09:31:38 PM »

Excellent post as always ballers what I would say is if Sean Williams is as good as what iv heard he will get nod over richman and if not I'd still go for moult anyway richman may play right midfield as 2 wingers away maybe considered a bit adventures

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2014, 10:13:33 PM »

Havern and Leather are our best defensive partnership and Leather will be one of the best centre halves in the conference. I hope we don't do what we did last year which was try to accommodate others and play him out of position on occasions until gradually coming around to this inevitable conclusion.

We can't afford to waste points this year. It took LS quite a while to play his best side last year, just in the nick of time in fact but we were very good at the end of last year. This also goes for playing 4-4-2. Don't be wasting time with 3 at the back. An option yes but we should be settled and playing our game.

It's good that by general consensus that all the new outfield signings (with slight debate over S Williams even though he has impressed) should be in the first XI and are better than the incumbents. If you're moving up a division and your signings aren't clearly better than what you already have then you've made mistakes. Don't know whether Gillespie better than Walshaw, but Wally wasn't here so that's by the by. Less important in the case of Parton/keepers in general.

I won't comment too much on Marshall and Perry as I haven't seen enough of pre season other than a couple of points. With his pedigree from Kidderminster, if Tom Marshall is fit and motivated he should be one of the first names on the team sheet. At the moment he's probably our 4th choice centre half. this is something Tom has to deal as there won't be many opportunities to get gifted game time to get fit.

Kyle Perry is a top character who I like, however he was not at the races all last season - having 2 great games against Stalybridge and being a hero in the last minute against Guiseley doesn't mean he was up to scratch.. Some on here seem to think this will be ok in the Conference as he will come up against big galoots of defenders. He won't, they're athletes at this level. Proper athletes, not necessarily great on the ball but proper muscular quick athletes. Kyle will have to get as fit as he possibly can and just do his best, that's all we'll ask for. If it isn't working, LS may need to be cruel to be kind in that regard.

I'm hoping some of our ball players who flatter to deceive occasionally flourish and take their play off form into the conference where it might suit them more (Lawrie, Moult, Wilkinson). I also hope Mike Williams is truly fit.

Moreover, and it sounds as though he will, I hope LS plays exciting attacking football and takes teams by surprise. we should have enough about us to overcome the inevitable rocky patches  if we do.

My team for next week at Aldershot - who really weren't great last season remember is.

Coburn
Densmore Havern Leather Griffin
Crowther Richman Cavanagh Clee (who on earth suggested he wouldn't start, have you seen us play without him?!)
Gillespie Reeves

Subs Parton M Williams S Williams Moult Lawrie Wilkinson Marshall Perry

If we take Gillespie off and go 4-5-1 I hope his replacement is a Lawrie/Wilkinson to play in the hole and still provide an attacking threat where necessary.

Top post....says it how it is
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2014, 10:40:19 PM »

Excellent post as always ballers what I would say is if Sean Williams is as good as what iv heard he will get nod over richman and if not I'd still go for moult anyway richman may play right midfield as 2 wingers away maybe considered a bit adventures

Correct about Williams but I haven't seen him seen him so wouldn't comment. I put Richman in on the basis that Crowther and Clee both play and LS may want Richman's 'legs' in there. That said, if Cavanagh is any good at organising at base of midfield as Boshell and these players should be then Moult would probably do well there.

Also, wasn't sure about Griffin when I saw him against good wingers last year so may have had M Williams, but again is he fit enough for Conference. We seem in good nick but we could maybe still improve.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2014, 11:29:59 AM »

I have to confess that having only three recognised forwards in a squad of 19 does give me some cause for concern.

Especially when (i) Gillespie hasn't exactly made that many first team appearances in the last two years and (ii) one of those forwards happens to be Kyle Perry.

I sincerely hope that my qualms prove to be baseless.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Jenga

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2014, 01:49:39 PM »

Good post Ballers.

One of the people who think Perry is of use to us is of course me, and I still maintain this, he will be valuable to us.

However whilst I do think his presence will help us, in my opinion he is not a first team choice player.

What worries me is if Gillespie or Reeves do get injured who do we have to bring in. Yes KP can perhaps hold the fort for a game or two, but beyond that I am not so sure. Lawrie is perhaps the only replacement up front?

Either way we are in good shape with probably the best team we have had in years. In any team there will always be the stronger and weaker players, but we should all remember that perhaps without those weaker players we could not afford the stronger ones. It is a team game and they will all come to the party throughout the season.

Hamilton

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2014, 01:53:28 PM »

Wilko or Lawrie could do a job up front, and there is always Max Pouncey.

Jenga

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2014, 03:50:59 PM »

Wilko or Lawrie could do a job up front, and there is always Max Pouncey.

Hamilton, whilst they could play up front, do you think they would be suitable for a 2-8 week stretch if we got an injury? Lawrie is the only one really who could at least provide some cover, I would not see Pouncey or Wilkinson doing it, although I have to say I have not seen Wilkinson up front much and never seen pouncey.

GB Alty

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2014, 07:52:20 PM »

I think ballers is spot on

Although I would have Moult for Richman (with Cavanagh protecting him)

S Williams has looked ok, but Cavanagh rather takes his place, don't think those two will start together often

Cult is right to worry we don't have too much up front, Gillespie has had a few injuries and Perry is sh*t

M Williams to me looks a long way of conf prem. It's hard after such an injury

But we looked prepared, better than previous years when we didn't look fit

Mid table easy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Shrewsbury post match thoughts