News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Please never again...........

Author Topic: Please never again...........  (Read 2170 times)

Lew Needham

« on: February 17, 2009, 10:15:42 AM »

Please never again let us play with the negative tactics shown on Saturday.

We tried that for the last few seasons which compared to this season were fairly unsuccessful. I’ve said previously if we look at the games where we’ve played three up top we’ve been significantly more successful. Also, I believe I’m speaking for the majority of us when I say the last thing I want to witness is a team playing negatively especially when I’ve had to travel a distance to an away game.

The thing is when we play three up top we play with three at the back and two wing backs so it’s hardly leaving us exposed. I would play that formation even against Man Utd because sitting back just does not work, you'll never get anything out of the game.

So please for the rest of the season let us just stick to playing three (if fit) strikers up front and have a go at teams!

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Please never again...........
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 11:53:29 AM »

GH knew they were going to come at us and Paul Buckle knew we would only have one up front so we did play into their hands this time(last season it worked),but i agree with the 3 up front.I have watched the lads at Muff as well as Torquay and both tomes GH has changed that formation and both times we have looked inaffective sadly.I suppose thats the gamble you take as a manager.If GH had gone with 3 up front as it turns out it would have thrown Torquays gameplan right out of the window.But easy for us to say now.Their pace made a big diferrance though i thought,but having said that did not think they were anything special,they got all the luck as well.
Harold

bigcol

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 11:59:05 AM »

Why not do something different next time we are short-staffed?  Greg up front as a target man maybe?  4-1-4-1 is not the future.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 12:05:29 PM »

Agree totally with this thread, if we can we need to play the most attacking formation we can and give other teams something to think about. :)

radcliffe alty

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 12:11:29 PM »

I agree with this, and I'm sure the line up will be more attack minded on Saturday on what really is a far more important game than the Torquay aways of this league. I'd say it could be the 3 points - if we can get them - that pretty much sees us accross the line whilst plunging Woking further into the relegation turd.

And, without wanting to sound like Hugh, I have to say GH seems to have got more things right this season than wrong - and when he has got it right we have looked very good. He deserves some credit for that.

Jenga

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 12:54:43 PM »

I agree in part, in that I dont like negative football.

BUT......

Our defence has been very solid this year, in addition our attack has been poor.

Torquay recently got beat by Muff and would either have lost confidence or they would come out steaming.

We didnt have fit forwards available. Take GY out of the defence and play him up front weakens the defence too much imho.

If we frustrated them long enough it might have worked... the problem was we didnt.

GH played the team that was fit and available to him.

What would you do in those circumstances?

jimbo

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 01:10:30 PM »

ARE DEFENSE HAS BEEN GOOD THIS SEASON BECAUSE WE HAVE PLAYED WITH AN EXTRA MAN THERE .MARK MCGREGOR ?IT HAS WORKED WELL.

joe

Please never again
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 01:26:31 PM »

Johnson and Senior came on at half time so they must have been fit. I think the defensive formation was more tactical than forced by injury.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team