News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Is this what they call zonal marking?

Author Topic: Is this what they call zonal marking?  (Read 2105 times)

Jezza

« on: April 11, 2010, 08:42:05 AM »

Such a shame we gave away such a clear header from a corner when we defended manfully for the rest of the game.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Is this what they call zonal marking?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 09:14:16 AM »

it wasnt as clear cut as that, from my angle constable made a quick run to the front post and then span back to the middle, an oxford player blocking his marker, looked well practiced to me
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Butty

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 04:46:44 PM »

Looks man to man marking to me, but the two often look similar (i.e left back marks right wing and they rarely stray from their 'own' corner of the pitch)

casper

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 02:16:51 AM »

it wasnt as clear cut as that, from my angle constable made a quick run to the front post and then span back to the middle, an oxford player blocking his marker, looked well practiced to me

It was good movement by the oxford players, and a block on his marker, (see robbie lawton's comments to the NLP). Still thought we played well, and had a couple decent chances.

However, at that corner, we had all our players back, their defence was about 10 yards outside our penalty area, and the goal keeper near the halfway line. We always invite opposing teams to throw everyone up for a corner as we defend them so deep.  Contrast our corner defending to oxford, who would keep 2 or 3 upfront, meaning we have to keep 3-4 back to defend. The most we would then have to attack the ball is 5or6, compared to oxford's 8or9. Oxford then have a better chance to hold up the ball if it is cleared. By keeping players further up the pitch, it allows us to cut down on the number of people in the penalty area, and less chance of a “block” and easier marking. Although there would be more space for opposing players to attack.

taxi Phil

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 08:54:17 AM »

Spot on Casper - it's been one of our long standing problems, and is compounded when the corner is cleared, and there's nobody outside their box to claim possession for us.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 11:50:23 AM »

The Oxford fans that I travelled back on the trains with on Saturday said that this was their best performance in weeks.
I thought it was a very good game and maybe we deserved a point.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 12:13:28 PM »

The Oxford fans that I travelled back on the trains with on Saturday said that this was their best performance in weeks.
I thought it was a very good game and maybe we deserved a point.

Must say (and I don't say it very often) I didn't think we were 'worth' a point - although I would have been grateful for it.
For me, the difference between the sides was a goal-poaching striker who scores 20+ a year.
This is something which has been discussed on other threads.

If we are going to get any higher in the league we're definitely going need one of these ... but this is the conundrum - how do we afford one?

More probably, can the management team unearth one for us?

It's such a pity that this team hasn't got a 32 year old Colin Little in it - we'd definitely be giving the play-offs a shot next year.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

taxi Phil

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 07:40:28 PM »

At least if there IS a striker lower down the Pyramid with the necessary potential, Ken McKenna is perfectly qualified to pick him out !
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team