PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Seeing as the weather is rubbish....
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Seeing as the weather is rubbish....  (Read 6443 times)

louise1925

Re: Seeing as the weather is rubbish....
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2007, 04:18:25 PM »

Leek away in the trophy a long, long while ago. Won 4-0, but froze to death in the process. My dad's car wouldn't start after the game and he's never let us forget it.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2007, 05:36:39 PM »

Northwich at the Drill Field around 1994-5ish. A good covering of snow on the pitch, all the players with gloves on, an illuminous ball and... i think we lost 2-0. that bald headed midfielder was it Barry Butler or something like that lobbed Paul Collings with a curling shot. remember Neil Hardy looking very cold.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2007, 06:17:16 PM »

Jeez ATS, I lived in the NE when we played at Ryhope, and I assure you it wasn't cold. It was as good as it gets in Jan/feb, didn't you spot the locals in T-shirts! Not a patch on Tow Law or Blyth.

Anyone here ever been to an Oldham game.........it is always freezing there.

As an aside to this do many of our more...err...senior supporters recall that postponements only seemed to happen years ago if there was a virtual threat to life!! It seems today games are off more easily, I recall lots of games on frosty or snowy pitches, the keeper just put his tracky bottoms on. Known icy terraces being thought to be ok too!

Who recalls the snowbound pitches with just the lines cleared and an orange ball? (Stafford excepted a few years back)
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

York Alty

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2007, 06:18:32 PM »

I'm going for Ryhope CA.

Always found Canal Street bloody cold too.

Jenga

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2007, 12:35:51 PM »

Definately Morecambe away when it was snowing - omg soooo cooollllllddddd

thegazelle

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2007, 03:01:29 PM »

Tow Law for me i recall the goalie taking a goal kick and it blowing back out behind the goal .So cold i blagged my way into the directors room at halftime and ate one of the best corned beef hash pies ever . may be the free whisky helped as well. it was very very very cold .

maidstone was another bounce bounce bounce on the terraces to keep warm.
of the usual suspects on that bus i would guess that there are only three of us who still go to games and two of them ,thats me and daisy senior (AKA jackie swindells no 1 fan i think) only get to a few games. which i suspect leaves cornerflag as the last remaining of a generation unless you can prove me different by claiming your rightful place on that minibus.

Butty

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2007, 03:41:30 PM »

anyone remember osset albion 2 or 3 years ago they scored inside a minute and we put 7 past them in the next 89 and it was pissin it down like hell and i was a ballboy for that match ;D its quite a cold job actually, i never remmeber being warm doing it and that day at moss lane was bloody freezin

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2007, 07:36:13 PM »

I remember the Ossett Albion game..... i crashed my car near Manchester Airports viewing area, took my lad to see the aircraft before the game.. on way out at junction, guy in a mini indicated.. i pulled out and BANG, half the front end of my Mondeo was in Wilmslow ! I was rather embarrassed driving through Alty on a Saturday afternnon with my car falling to bits and scraping all over the show. Had to rip my bumper off to get back home.
By the way it was October/November 2004 I think lol

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2007, 08:29:24 PM »

Mr Gazelle,

If the Maidstone Utd game was the one where it snowed and I think Steve Hartley drove the minibus then I do indeed claim my place on said minibus.

I recall that they wouldn't let us in the Bar before or after the match amd that the admission was so extortionate (about £13.00 I think) that Kingy 'had a word' with the Maidstone hierarchy after the match (Jim Thompson being the Maidstone & Conference Chair at the time

thegazelle

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2007, 08:38:49 PM »

apologies mr tunnel steward it sid snow and am sure steve hartley drove and seem to recall being a tad dissapointed with liquid refreshment arrangements so it must be the same trip.

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2007, 08:45:04 PM »

Mr Gazelle,

If the Maidstone Utd game was the one where it snowed and I think Steve Hartley drove the minibus then I do indeed claim my place on said minibus.

I recall that they wouldn't let us in the Bar before or after the match amd that the admission was so extortionate (about £13.00 I think) that Kingy 'had a word' with the Maidstone hierarchy after the match (Jim Thompson being the Maidstone & Conference Chair at the time
Did you have a full head of hair in them days if not it must have been bloody cold
@AltyDaz

thegazelle

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2007, 10:25:46 PM »

he didnt have as much insulation in those days either

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2007, 12:21:58 AM »

Mr Gazelle,

As befits anyone when exposed to the presence of a legend I have, since those heady days been attempting to emulate your good self.

I am, and suspect that I will always be, totally incapable of even approaching your capacity for the consumption of liquids so, the best I can do is a very very poor effort at even approaching your levels of insulation.

I would continue to take my hat off to you only my head would get cold

Jezza

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2007, 03:54:56 AM »

I can remember one time we went to macclesfield when i was about 7 (so that's about 1974ish) and even the Macclesfield fans were leaving with 20 minutes to go saying it was cold....it was freezing with horizontal sleet so no escape in Macc's crappy covered terrace even.

I think we were losing when we gave up the ghost with about 15 mins to go but being true Alty we sat in the car outside trying to listen to the crowd to find out what was happening.....

I remember tow law but this was cold cold cold and in the old days of crappy car heaters we didn't warm up until we got home.

The only time in living memory when I saw Alty players clearly thinking "I don't want to play footie in this" was the abandoned New years Day stafford match at home.

Jacobs

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2007, 08:00:11 AM »

Nothing in my opinon compares to Whitby away, although it was not actually the coldest day the wind  was terrible, It was that cold even Hard folk like leroy had to wear tights,
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Seeing as the weather is rubbish....