News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Tom Hannigan

Author Topic: Tom Hannigan  (Read 2406 times)

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Tom Hannigan
« on: October 02, 2016, 08:47:48 AM »

May I put forward my nomination of this season's best signing as Tom Hannigan. I found our defence very steady yesterday, and disciplined. I think Tom provides organisation to the defence, certainly John Cyrus benefits from playing along side him.

I did start to worry when he was taken off. Lymm Alty and I spoke to his dad yesterday at the away end during the second half, he did say this was not a recurrence of his recent injury, and felt it was more a substitution as a precaution. Whilst we do not know as yet fully the extent at least he walked off the pitch. Tom is an excellent player and will be a major part of our turnaround over the next few weeks. There were so many more positives from yesterday to take, but there was a wealth of difference when Tom left the pitch. Despite this, we still went on to win, scored two further goals and most importantly got our first clean sheet.

I now see the potential in Andrew Dawber also, what a fantastic save during the second half - Coburnesque that was! Yes I agree he still has much to learn, but at his age he is really worth keeping. With Tim also in the squad there are no real problems at goalkeeper level.

Phil Marsh also made a difference when he came on, like the look of him very much, but will be even better teamed with Damien. Sean Miller is also becoming prolific, and squad is moulding into a good side going forward. The return of Shaun Densmore is going to make us even stronger, and Greg Wilkinson has been a revelation since his return. His vision is superb and ideas phenomenal, but for me he is devastatingly accurate, as per his finish in the play-off final when he picked his spot to place the ball in the net.  Two games on the trot he has won man of the match now. I am glad he is back as I never felt he got his full chance under Lee Sinnott.
For me though, Tom is the key signing, and there is now much more to be optimistic about with the squad, but I am much happier now than I was in the earlier part of the season. We just need to get that first league win under our belt now.

brinners

Re: Tom Hannigan
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 10:05:19 AM »

A very good post Steve, much of which I agree with. The only point you make which I take issue to, is the keeping situation. I want Andrew Dawber to do well, I really do, but I'll admit that I'm not very confident - his fatal flaw appears to be his inability to deal with crosses. Also, as much as we all love Tim Deasy, I'm beginning to really worry about his injury situation. Fingers crossed he's not just another wage to pay we're not going to see again.

Teasierbeaver

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 10:50:09 AM »

Hope Hannigan is ok after his knock!

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 11:36:03 AM »

Just because Dawber made one good save(and it was a very good save) it doesn't make him a good keeper. He is dreadful at decision making and will cost us a lot of points from corners and free kicks etc. I hope Hannigan has just taken a little knock and won't be out long but I'm getting very concerned that we'll never see the 'real' Densmore again,he's been out over a year now with no sign of an imminent return.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 11:46:04 AM »

His decision making will improve with more experience, and as he ages and matures. I believe his ariel prowess will improve also. He made more than one good save yesterday, and also made a good catch from a cross later in the game at the far post.

I feel he is improving all the time. For the here and now I somewhat agree with you, but look ongoing and to the future also; that was what me posting was about. In the meantime we also have Tim to call on, injuries permitting, I agree. Tim will improve along with the team, and lets face it, the previous games up to Jim's arrival did nothing to help him. May I also remind you he kept his first clean sheet yesterday, unthinkable a few weeks ago.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 11:54:39 AM »

His decision making will improve with more experience, and as he ages and matures. I believe his ariel prowess will improve also. He made more than one good save yesterday, and also made a good catch from a cross later in the game at the far post.

I feel he is improving all the time. For the here and now I somewhat agree with you, but look ongoing and to the future also; that was what me posting was about. In the meantime we also have Tim to call on, injuries permitting, I agree. Tim will improve along with the team, and lets face it, the previous games up to Jim's arrival did nothing to help him. May I also remind you he kept his first clean sheet yesterday, unthinkable a few weeks ago.
very true on the clean sheet however let's not forget the opposition we were playing.  Big test coming on Saturday we simply have  to win
ParkINson's red and white army

Jezza

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 01:04:00 PM »

we are beginning to see that NY did make some excellent signings like Tom, Cyrus, Goodall is versatile, Patterson, miller now beginning to look a good player....

I'm afraid with dawber I disagree....he is a liability and I cant remember seeing many young keepers change their spots....they either look good as soon as they appear (like Coburn) or repeatedly make schoolboy errors throughout their career.....the "they'll learn and get better" never happening....

Yesterday Mr Dawber did indeed make one quality save.....but a save you'd want your keeper to make.....he also flapped at numerous crosses and made a disastrous challenge that on another day would have been punished by better teams and a better ref.....
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Tom Hannigan