PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Teams Tonight
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Teams Tonight  (Read 8586 times)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Teams Tonight
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 12:25:22 PM »

Brilliant that we are having a go at Perry already. I wondered how long it would take. Perry will be vital for us this season, you will see.
IMHO Perry does very few things well but we've got no one else in the squad who can do those things for us so, although I would rarely start him, he'd definitely be in the squad for me. I agree that over the season he'll prove valuable to us.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 12:28:33 PM »

After the game Warren Joyce said we were the best side they had faced so far, he said we played some good football and really hurt them a few times. Apparently, the other sides just parked the bus and wellied long balls to chase and utd couldnt break them down. With the experimental line up and changes and the qual;ity of the opposition that was not unexpected, nobody was injured and still a step forward.

Hamilton

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 12:51:25 PM »

Has wade Joyce been released or was he not allowed to play against his dad?

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 12:54:49 PM »

They were very good, everything youd expect from a club o that stature.

We stuck to our footballing principles just weren't good enough. Crowther, Lawire and Marshall all has good solid games

More realistic tests to come
Full time and proud of it

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 01:18:52 PM »

It's not too fantastic for those paying to watch it either.

To be fair, the prices charged for friendly matches reflect the experimental nature of the games. I think it was Graham Heathcote who once said that friendlies aren't really for the fans - that's not to say that they can't be enjoyed, but it's the only time that the management can really try things in a proper match situation. Hopefully our lads will have learned from the experience, in fact they probably learned a hell of a lot more from last night than they did from thrashing Trafford at the weekend.

Come on Alty!

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 01:46:40 PM »

To be fair, the prices charged for friendly matches reflect the experimental nature of the games. I think it was Graham Heathcote who once said that friendlies aren't really for the fans - that's not to say that they can't be enjoyed, but it's the only time that the management can really try things in a proper match situation. Hopefully our lads will have learned from the experience, in fact they probably learned a hell of a lot more from last night than they did from thrashing Trafford at the weekend.

Spot on.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 01:49:40 PM »

I think I expected the earlier away matches to be the experimental ones with the later home matches against more challenging opposition to be contested by a team approaching the one LS envisages starting the season for us (especially now the squad is virtually settled). Clearly I was wrong to assume this.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 01:50:33 PM »

Sorry I can't agree that Perry will be of any use to us in the Conf Prem

I don't want to piss on the parade but if we had not been promoted then I honestly believe the majority of fans would have wanted to get rid of him.

I hope the lad proves me wrong but time will tell.

I'm really glad were back in the Conf Prem, but it aing going to be easy staying there folks.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 01:56:58 PM »

Sorry I can't agree that Perry will be of any use to us in the Conf Prem. I don't want to piss on the parade but if we had not been promoted then I honestly believe the majority of fans would have wanted to get rid of him. I hope the lad proves me wrong but time will tell. I'm really glad were back in the Conf Prem, but it aing going to be easy staying there folks.
I get where you're coming from DT, but when we start facing up to the big bulky back fours of a number of sides in the premier I think he gives us another more direct option that no one else in the squad can do. He's also had experience of this league. That's not to say, of course, that I wouldn't swap him for a younger, possibly fitter, but similar type of player.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 03:49:29 PM »

This game was arranged at the drop of a hat due to tranmere getting a better offer. A 0-5 against a side better than anything we will face next season (look where some of those kids have been on loan) is neither here nor there. And a far better work out than strolling past a nwcl side. The accrington and Shrewsbury fixtures are ones where you want to see somthing approaching full pelt. But even then with Aldershot, Lincoln and Bristol looking on From the stands I would still sooner we kept our cards close to our chest. As long as we are ready and raring to go at 14:58 on 9th Aug I'm unconcerned what happens on the pitch until then. Would like to see a big imposing midfielder join the ranks though.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 04:23:53 PM »

I am just a bit intrigued, given how little of the ball any of our attacking players saw of the ball last night (other than kicking off to restart play) that anyone can make an informed judgement on the performance or otherwise of Kyle Perry, Steve Gillespie or Damian Reeves

Incidentally they all seemed very adroit at the restarts

eightiesrobin

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 04:58:01 PM »

Perry will be vital for us this season, you will see.

Why, are you thinking Stubblemelt playing the grand opening of the Community Hall will put a few more rock fans through the door? 

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 05:05:27 PM »

I am just a bit intrigued, given how little of the ball any of our attacking players saw of the ball last night (other than kicking off to restart play) that anyone can make an informed judgement on the performance or otherwise of Kyle Perry, Steve Gillespie or Damian Reeves

Incidentally they all seemed very adroit at the restarts

Phil, my informed judgement of KP was based purely on last season. My first game this campaign when i will be watching Alty will be the Shrewsbury game.

I can assure you that if I notice any improvement after that game I will post on here.

bumble

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 05:13:36 PM »

Lee Sinnott tried a completely different formation last night to begin with.

A middle four set up like so :_

Dens

Richman                      Crowther

Lawrie

It was a chance to experiment. Sinnott needs to know what other formations he can play. Dens has played CM before, however couldnt play there FT, and now Lee will be aware that isnt an option. Better than in a league game.

Bar a freak shot (fantastic effort), we would have gone in 1-0 down at the rbeak against a side which played a very very high line. The full backs played as wingers with the CB's and 1 CM holding.

Perry was poor last night. Not getting away from it.  However Williams and crowther impressed, and Gillespie showed flashes which also highly impressed.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2014, 01:21:43 AM »

Yes difficult to judge any of our attacking players last night....the United team kept the ball for long periods, sometimes achieving 20 consecutive passes at breakneck speed, trying to breakdown our midfield and then split our defence......impressive stuff........when we won the ball back they closed down that fast that we often struggled to make any more than 5 passes unless it got stroked about across the back four

Great freekick from Gillespie.....Damian tried to score direct from kick-off when he saw their keeper off his line....Kyle Perry did not look effective at all when given no time or space whatsoever by the United team......however he probably won't play against a quicker defence all next season
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Teams Tonight