News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Rod Thornley

Author Topic: Rod Thornley  (Read 2542 times)

Jukes1967

Rod Thornley
« on: October 21, 2007, 09:10:01 PM »

Hi guys, I know Rod was and still is a favourite with a lot of you guys and is certainly proving to be a hit at Witton I thought you might like to check out the couple he banged in for us on Saturday, there is also a small interview with him after the game too. Wittonalbionfc.com best of luck for the rest of the season but I can't deny that a big part of me kinda hopes that yourselves and Conthem Victoria are both in the Conf North next season along with us if we manage to keep the good league form going

Dougals Dad

Re: Rod Thornley
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 09:21:30 PM »

Rod was a great credit to Alty both on & off the pitch, if he gives Witton half as much as he gave Alty you will end up with a better club. He's a totally decent bloke.

markecky

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 09:27:38 PM »

As long as you understand you'll never be considered a derby game, you can wish away.

Rods a decent Conference North striker, he was always going to be superb for you.

Jukes1967

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 09:33:41 PM »

Markecky, I'm not too bothered what you consider us all I do know is you would bring a lot more support with you that the average away support of about 25 we get at the moment!

RocketDan

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 09:51:00 PM »

"I've come from a team that, really, pretends to play football and lobs it, to a team that gets it and acctually play football"

How can Rod say this, a team that pretends to play football?

teasybeaver

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 09:56:35 PM »

"I've come from a team that, really, pretends to play football and lobs it, to a team that gets it and acctually play football"

I think he was talking about midweek with England!

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 10:01:14 PM »

Also he forgot to say gone to team two leagues below that were despatched in a tin pot cup that his current team took seriously by his previous club who really don't care.

Sorry couldn't resist  ;D ;D

RocketDan

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 10:05:37 PM »

Also he forgot to say gone to team two leagues below that were despatched in a tin pot cup that his current team took seriously by his previous club who really don't care.

Sorry couldn't resist  ;D ;D

are you talking about England again there?

markecky

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 11:36:28 PM »

Some players can only dream of appearing on pubcast.

"Dreams Can Happen"

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 12:00:13 AM »

I think that what may well be criticism of Rod for saying this is very unfair indeed.

Firstly we don't play the same way we did when he first came to the Club and was so successful...in comparison we do just 'lob it' rather than playing scintillating football. Probably because we're playing at a higher level against better players and are therefore under more pressure to get the ball away from our goal area more quickly and with less risk.

Secondly Rod is now a Witton Albion player and it is absolutely normal for any (comparatively new)  player to say what they percieve their new fans to want to hear.

Thirdly and probably for excellent reasons from Alty's perspective Rod wasn't getting much game time and was frustrated (at least I hope he was). He wouldn't be normal if he didn't have at least a very minor pop would he.

HOWEVER I believe that he still has a soft spot for Alty as I know Mad Dog, Eddie Hussin and Talbs do

casper

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 01:10:55 AM »

I think that what may well be criticism of Rod for saying this is very unfair indeed.

Firstly we don't play the same way we did when he first came to the Club and was so successful...in comparison we do just 'lob it' rather than playing scintillating football. Probably because we're playing at a higher level against better players and are therefore under more pressure to get the ball away from our goal area more quickly and with less risk.

Secondly Rod is now a Witton Albion player and it is absolutely normal for any (comparatively new)  player to say what they percieve their new fans to want to hear.

Thirdly and probably for excellent reasons from Alty's perspective Rod wasn't getting much game time and was frustrated (at least I hope he was). He wouldn't be normal if he didn't have at least a very minor pop would he.

HOWEVER I believe that he still has a soft spot for Alty as I know Mad Dog, Eddie Hussin and Talbs do

for once i think i agree. Rod was a very good player for us. i would still prefer him on the right instead of "workhorse" lawton, who runs a lot, but carnt really cross when needed. We do seem to try and play long ball to senior a bit lately, quite strange considering he is the smallest player on the pitch (or even the league). Rod did do a lot outside playing, his england connections certainly brought in some much needed cash. (and he bought some suitcases from me at the place i work)
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Rod Thornley