PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Guiseley - Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Guiseley - Match Thread  (Read 44067 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Guiseley - Match Thread
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2016, 07:36:53 PM »

Sinnott is equally poor as a full back as he is in midfield

I think Sinnott has done really well.
We certainly missed him on Tuesday.
I have got him in my top three for player of the season.
But what do I know!!!

I confess that I struggle to see how you have him ahead of the likes of Deasy, Moult and Rankine.

As I said, what do I know!!
But I would still have him in my top three, because the amount of stick he has got on this forum is embarrassing.
Barry,  the guy has played out of position for some time.
In my opinion he puts in a good shift.
If You look at some posts on here, Rankine would never start.
It would be Reaves every time.
We all have our views.
But if you have Sinnott at No4, that's fine👍

Bryan,

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion (after all, it's a subjective issue rather than an exact science).

I have no problem at all with that.

Mind you, I do find it a trifle odd to be so influenced in your selection of a player of the season by the amount of 'stick' that the individual in question has received on the Alty forum.

On that premise, Kyle Perry would have been a shoe-in for the award in at least one of his two seasons at the club!

As regards Jordan Sinnott, I'm not convinced that he's being played out of position, as it were, purely in terms of my (albeit restricted) view that he was largely ineffective as a midfield player in a total of 15 consecutive league games for us earlier this season.

Perhaps right full back/wing back does actually represent a more realistic option for him (as long as he works on the art of tackling)?

I think that some of the criticism of him has been over the top but, equally, some of it has been warranted (particularly regarding all those underwhelming free kicks to date!).

However, being the manager's son was always going to put him under a greater degree of scrutiny (and both he and his father would be naive to think otherwise).

« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 07:49:54 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2016, 09:11:35 PM »

Playing Jordan at Right Ack has really helped him going forward.  He can see the whole pitch ahead of him and can't be caught in possession by someone behind him.  It also gives him a bit more time on the ball.  Wing ack suits him therefore

taxi Phil

« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2016, 11:07:26 PM »

Playing Jordan at Right Ack has really helped him going forward.  He can see the whole pitch ahead of him and can't be caught in possession by someone behind him.  It also gives him a bit more time on the ball.  Wing ack suits him therefore

However, 37 shots since his last goal has him in Gillespie territory.

andrewflynn

« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2016, 10:17:47 AM »

Why? He's not a striker.

taxi Phil

« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2016, 10:31:38 AM »

Why? He's not a striker.

Sorry....hadn't realised that midfield players weren't allowed to score goals.

bighairedmike

« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2016, 12:14:04 PM »

Why? He's not a striker.

But considering he's hardly played in midfield that's possibly the oddest comparison to make.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2016, 07:50:50 PM »

Playing Jordan at Right Ack has really helped him going forward.  He can see the whole pitch ahead of him and can't be caught in possession by someone behind him.  It also gives him a bit more time on the ball.  Wing ack suits him therefore

Why? He's not a striker.

But considering he's hardly played in midfield that's possibly the oddest comparison to make.

Whilst I concur that the comparison with Gillespie isn't fair, I wouldn't say that Jordan Sinnott starting our opening 15 league fixtures (of 33 played to date) as a midfielder constitutes him having "hardly played in midfield" though, would you?

« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 07:58:39 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

bighairedmike

« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2016, 10:01:09 PM »

Playing Jordan at Right Ack has really helped him going forward.  He can see the whole pitch ahead of him and can't be caught in possession by someone behind him.  It also gives him a bit more time on the ball.  Wing ack suits him therefore

Why? He's not a striker.

Whilst I concur that the comparison with Gillespie isn't fair, I wouldn't say that Jordan Sinnott starting our opening 15 league fixtures (of 33 played to date) as a midfielder constitutes him having "hardly played in midfield" though, would you?

Honestly didn't realise he's started 15 games in midfield this season Mr Cult, I'd have said about 6 myself. Fair point. I still stand by the fact it is the height of obscurity to compare a striker and a central midfielder.

taxi Phil

« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2016, 10:11:58 PM »

Where he's played is immaterial. The stats show he's had 37 shots on goal since he last scored. I don't think he's been striking the ball from the right back position.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 24, 2016, 12:25:11 AM »

Jordan aside, I don't think it is an unfair criticism to say that our entire midfield don't chip in with enough goals as it is (nor for that matter do our defenders score many from set-pieces).

We have an over-reliance on Reeves that has existed for some time and this burden is now shared with Rankine.

(having just added this post quite late without looking stuff up, I will take a look at the website and see who has scored what this season)
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2016, 12:37:26 AM »

Had a look, hopefully got it right :-

We have scored 32 goals in 33 games

10 goals have come from what I term midfielders (3 of these goals scored recently by Josh Ginnelly).
Central midfielders Moult, Richman and O'Keefe have two goals between them, which sort of sums up our game play really

1 goal so far from a defender (Heathcote's last gasp winner when coming on versus Cheltenham as late defensive back-up)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 12:46:43 AM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

andrewflynn

« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2016, 09:13:07 AM »

Where he's played is immaterial. The stats show he's had 37 shots on goal since he last scored. I don't think he's been striking the ball from the right back position.

Nor has he been played in one-on-one 37 times.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2016, 09:22:54 AM »

He crashed the ball against the bar with his left peg from some distance a few minutes into Macc (A) which could have changed the outcome of that game.

However, I won't blame him for missing that one.

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers
« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2016, 08:13:58 PM »

And he put one just over in same game .

GB Alty

« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2016, 08:21:34 PM »

Top 3 has to be Moult, Deasy and Rankine

Everyone else has been sh*t