PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Non Alty - 1972 FA Trophy Final
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Non Alty - 1972 FA Trophy Final  (Read 6046 times)

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
Re: Non Alty - 1972 FA Trophy Final
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 07:40:44 AM »

It is indeed Sinstadt commentating. I did a quick Google and it was a feature game on The Big Match that week.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 02:21:04 PM »

Milija Aleksic, in goal for Stafford that day, played against us for Spurs at Maine Road.
I also remember him having a brilliant game against us for Stafford Rangers at Moss Lane in season 1972/73 which I think ended 0-0. He emigrated to South Africa and he once came to my office to buy Forex as he married an EL AL sales rep.

I love random sh*t like this that we get on here at times. Outstanding. If I can ever get this into a conversation somewhere I will!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 03:00:27 PM »

Number 9 seems popular.  It takes about ten minutes for someone to say well done.

A pint of Jenny's finest after the Halifax game for the first person to name the player that eventually does congratulate him.

Jim Sargeant.

Refereed by a rather spritely looking Pat Partridge, who if memory serves me correctly (and it often doesn't) appeared at Moss Lane in his final season of officiating (when we did get top flight officials) in 80-81, but I can't for the life of me remember what game and the attic is an adventure too far at this time of the morning.

Uncle G,

Pat Partridge refereed our 3-1 victory against Worcester City at Moss Lane on Saturday, 12th April 1980 in the inaugural season of the APL.

If I get the opportunity this evening, I'll wade through my 1980/81 season programmes and check whether he returned to Moss Lane during that campaign.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 03:04:21 PM »

It is indeed Sinstadt commentating. I did a quick Google and it was a feature game on The Big Match that week.

I recollect a somewhat tentative Gerald Sinstadt struggling manfully to cope with interviewing the likes of Kingy and JR when the entire Alty squad appeared on Granada TV's Kick-Off programme on the eve of our FA Cup Third Round tie versus Orient at Moss Lane on Saturday, 5th January 1980.

That would, indeed, be a gem that would be well worth resurrecting from Granada's archives.....!

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 03:13:50 PM »

Uncle G,

Pat Partridge refereed our 3-1 victory against Worcester City at Moss Lane on Saturday, 12th April 1980 in the inaugural season of the APL.

If I get the opportunity this evening, I'll wade through my 1980/81 season programmes and check whether he returned to Moss Lane during that campaign.

I may well have got my seasons confused. I just seem to remember some sort of a hoo-haa about his appearance (atmosphere emotionally charged and all that)......although thinking about it, wasn't he due to retire and then ending up doing an extra year in 80-81?

I bow to your remarkable powers of recall and if you can bring even a little illumination to the murky waters of my cranial cavity I will be eternally grateful. The great sea-horse, patron of memory carriage has suffered much abuse over the years and is no longer capable of lighting the required neural pathways.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 03:21:11 PM »

Ah the coach trip to Buxton for the FA Trophy - after we'd been there earlier in the season for the FA Cup.  I remember the coach(es) rolling into a frozen Buxton Town Centre and a long queue of Alty fans trooping down a flight of icy stairs to a public toilet in the middle of town once we found out the match was postponed, and then turning round and heading back to Alty.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 03:25:29 PM »

Uncle G,

In fact, I'm probably just digging a deeper mental hole here, but my recollection is of a night match (my memories could be morphing into unrecognisable beasts of fancy at this stage).
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 03:44:32 AM »

Number 9 seems popular.  It takes about ten minutes for someone to say well done.

A pint of Jenny's finest after the Halifax game for the first person to name the player that eventually does congratulate him.

Jim Sargeant. Refereed by a rather spritely looking Pat Partridge, who if memory serves me correctly (and it often doesn't) appeared at Moss Lane in his final season of officiating (when we did get top flight officials) in 80-81, but I can't for the life of me remember what game and the attic is an adventure too far at this time of the morning.

Well done sir!!!

Your reward will need to be served the next time you travel over from God's country!

I remember Pat Partridge covering his ears as he walked out of the tunnel that day against Worcester.....mocking the fact that it was such a relatively small crowd to what he was used to.....didn't like that one bit!

thegazelle

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 01:02:11 PM »

if i recall correctly , which is unlikely given the lack of braincells i now have, there was a full "football special" train booked to go to buxton but it was cancelled because of the weather . that just wouldnt happen these days (the special not the cancellation or bad weather)

whiskyalty

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2012, 07:10:24 PM »

the special train did run to buxton but did not return till after five so a few people jumped on normal train service back to alty.

thegazelle

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2012, 08:10:04 AM »

think i have just found out a family lie. i am sure i was told the game was off and the train wasnt going. my uncle who was taking must have just fancied a day in the Gas Club and not in the cold of the derbyshire tundra. Cant blame him to be honest its just i feel cheated after all these years.

whiskyalty

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2012, 06:01:11 PM »

pete as i said special train did run but the game did get called off after train got to buxton . so a nice policeman at station said we could go back on normal service .as there was some nice buxton fans hanging about who wanted a nice chat with us . but i still love buxton.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2012, 05:13:05 AM »

Milija Aleksic, in goal for Stafford that day, played against us for Spurs at Maine Road.
I also remember him having a brilliant game against us for Stafford Rangers at Moss Lane in season 1972/73 which I think ended 0-0. He emigrated to South Africa and he once came to my office to buy Forex as he married an EL AL sales rep.

I love random sh*t like this that we get on here at times. Outstanding. If I can ever get this into a conversation somewhere I will!

Thats what Melija thought. There he was, known worldwide for being a big time English Goalkeeper, starring in an FA Cup Final yet living the other side of the world and the conversation highlight is congratualtions on a performance he had against  Alty as  teenager ;D

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2012, 03:52:54 PM »

Uncle G,

I may well have got my seasons confused. I just seem to remember some sort of a hoo-haa about his appearance (atmosphere emotionally charged and all that)......although thinking about it, wasn't he due to retire and then ending up doing an extra year in 80-81?

I bow to your remarkable powers of recall and if you can bring even a little illumination to the murky waters of my cranial cavity I will be eternally grateful. The great sea-horse, patron of memory carriage has suffered much abuse over the years and is no longer capable of lighting the required neural pathways.

Uncle G,

You do your memory an injustice.

Pat Partridge did, indeed, return to Moss Lane during the 1980/81 APL season.

He refereed our 4-1 victory in a top-of-the-table clash against Kettering Town in front of a crowd of 2,201 on Saturday, 7th February 1981.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 06:03:42 PM »

Uncle G,

You do your memory an injustice.

Pat Partridge did, indeed, return to Moss Lane during the 1980/81 APL season.

He refereed our 4-1 victory in a top-of-the-table clash against Kettering Town in front of a crowd of 2,201 on Saturday, 7th February 1981.

Thank you good Sir and custodian of nostalgia
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Non Alty - 1972 FA Trophy Final