PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Non Alty - 1972 FA Trophy Final
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Non Alty - 1972 FA Trophy Final  (Read 6048 times)

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« on: April 10, 2012, 11:37:14 PM »

Apologies if this has been posted before but I spotted this today...

]http://youtu.be/sJzDRllD3LE]

Those of us of a certain vintage will recognise some of the Stafford players

Paul
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 12:10:56 AM by PaulClementsLaments »

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Non Alty - 1972 FA Amateur Cup Final
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 12:01:26 AM »

Apologies if this has been posted before but I spotted this today...

]http://youtu.be/sJzDRllD3LE]

Those of us of a certain vintage will recognise some of the Stafford players

Paul

tsk tsk FA Trophy Final. Not completed your foundation course for the Custodians of the Conference young Paul.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Non Alty - 1972 FA Trophy Final
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 12:10:31 AM »

Yes I just copied the title off the video

markecky

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 12:19:14 AM »

Number 9 seems popular.  It takes about ten minutes for someone to say well done.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 09:52:23 AM »

Milija Aleksic, in goal for Stafford that day, played against us for Spurs at Maine Road.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 11:59:23 AM »

Number 9 seems popular.  It takes about ten minutes for someone to say well done.

Ray Williams went onto manage Northwich so maybe he just didn't like being popular :)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 12:26:09 PM »

Number 9 seems popular.  It takes about ten minutes for someone to say well done.

Ray Williams went onto manage Northwich so maybe he just didn't like being popular :)

He was the Vics' manager when the Alliance Premier League commenced in August 1979 but was surprisingly sacked a few days before we slumped to our annual 1-0 defeat at The Drill Field on Saturday, 26th January 1980.

However, he did still attend that particular fixture, as his former team mate Kingy gave him a complimentary pass for The Drill Field main stand!

That sounds like Gerald Sinstadt commentating, too.

Watching that makes me yearn even more for somebody to unearth that footage of our evisceration of Leatherhead at Wembley back in 1978....  
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 12:30:29 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 12:58:49 PM »

I'd go fookin mental if that first goal was scored against us, the pass out to the winger had gone out of play by a clear yard by the time he controlled it??

thegazelle

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 01:16:26 PM »

just shows that refs were crap then and are crap now ....

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 01:32:33 PM »

Watching that makes me yearn even more for somebody to unearth that footage of our evisceration of Leatherhead at Wembley back in 1978....  

Somebody must have it, it did exist

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 10:20:12 PM »

Milija Aleksic, in goal for Stafford that day, played against us for Spurs at Maine Road.
I also remember him having a brilliant game against us for Stafford Rangers at Moss Lane in season 1972/73 which I think ended 0-0. He emigrated to South Africa and he once came to my office to buy Forex as he married an EL AL sales rep.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 11:36:09 PM »

Yes - I remember that game against Stafford in 72/3.  It finished 1-0 to Stafford, and we must have had 20 shots on target that day.  Hit the bar, the post, cleared off the line...

It was us, Stafford and Boston clear at the top of the NPL - and we lost a bit of ground that day.  It was our first home defeat of the season (apart from 1-0 to Notts County in the FA Cup)

We finished 3rd in the league that year - with our best ever Trophy run (second round), 1st round of FA Cup, and semi finals of CSC (lost to Macc in extra time at Edgley Park).  It was the first season I went to away games.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 11:59:49 PM »

Yes - I remember that game against Stafford in 72/3.  It finished 1-0 to Stafford, and we must have had 20 shots on target that day.  Hit the bar, the post, cleared off the line...

It was us, Stafford and Boston clear at the top of the NPL - and we lost a bit of ground that day.  It was our first home defeat of the season (apart from 1-0 to Notts County in the FA Cup)

We finished 3rd in the league that year - with our best ever Trophy run (second round), 1st round of FA Cup, and semi finals of CSC (lost to Macc in extra time at Edgley Park).  It was the first season I went to away games.

In which case that was the first time I ever saw us lose in a league game at home........I've seen a few since, mind.I think that it was January 13th 1973........sandwiched between my first ever league away trip at Bradford Park Avenue & the FA Trophy game that was snowed off at Buxton.......all three games indelibly etched in my tiny brain!

Great video.....what a good side Stafford were then.....Milija Aleksic, Mick Cullerton, Terry Bailey, Ray Williams........enduring image......jumpers for goalposts!

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 12:07:23 AM »

A pint of Jenny's finest after the Halifax game for the first person to name the player that eventually does congratulate him.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 12:50:08 AM »

A pint of Jenny's finest after the Halifax game for the first person to name the player that eventually does congratulate him.

Jim Sargeant. Refereed by a rather spritely looking Pat Partridge, who if memory serves me correctly (and it often doesn't) appeared at Moss Lane in his final season of officiating (when we did get top flight officials) in 80-81, but I can't for the life of me remember what game and the attic is an adventure too far at this time of the morning.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team