News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Europe here we come

Author Topic: Europe here we come  (Read 2425 times)

Dianne

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
Europe here we come
« on: April 14, 2023, 10:35:46 PM »

See Alty website for details on this friendly

ALTY TO VENTURE INTO EUROPE FOR PRE-SEASON FRIENDLY!
Altrincham are venturing into Europe as part of the build-up to next season after landing a prestigious summer friendly with Dutch top-flight club NEC Nijmegen.

There is always a keen sense of anticipation ahead of pre-season fixtures being announced, and excitement levels will be higher than ever among Alty fans after it was confirmed that the Robins will be heading to Holland on July 22nd to test themselves against one of the most recognisable names in the Eredivisie.

What a coup for Alty to be including such illustrious opponents in a pre-season programme that is beginning to take shape, and it has been accomplished largely thanks to the influence of Robins director Mark Luby.

Mark, a lifelong Alty fan as well as member of the board, is the Managing Director of EBS Aftermarket Group Limited, a thriving business that has expanded beyond these shores and now has a base in Nijmegen.

Spotting an ideal opportunity for Alty to broaden their horizons as well, Mark helped set up our first-ever first-team fixture in Holland, and it is hoped it will mark the start of a mutually-beneficial friendship between the clubs, with the possibility of more matches to follow.

Nijmegen, the largest city in the province of Gelderland near the German border and the 10th largest city in the Netherlands as a whole, have a proud history in Dutch football and have twice competed in the UEFA Cup in the last 20 years.

Everyone at Alty is looking forward immensely to our inaugural fixture with them in a game that will take place at the ground of their near-neighbours WVW Weurt, just four kilometres north-west of Nijmegen, on Saturday July 22nd, kicking off at 2pm.

Helping us bring international travel experience to the pre-season friendly for our supporters are Black Opal Travel. As a valued member of our Altrincham FC Business Club, they were our go to provider to offer travel packages. Keri Gee, Black Opal Business Club member commented:

‘We are delighted to be working with Altrincham FC once again and look forward to connecting with supporters old and new. The importance of supporting local businesses and sports clubs is more vital than ever now and we recognise Altrincham FC’s dedication in this area!”

Black Opal have put together four packages for one or two night stays in Holland. If interested, supporters should contact Keri or Louise on 0330 041 4888, contact them here, or can call in and see them at 116 Ashley Road, Hale WA14 2UN.

Look out for more details of our pre-season games, here on the club's website and our social media channels, as and when we get them.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 11:46:34 PM by Dianne »

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Europe here we come
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2023, 11:36:00 PM »

Get in

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 02:06:14 PM »

Hopefully not A Bridge Too Far
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2023, 02:17:33 PM »

10th in the Eredivisie with a fairly recent 1-1 draw with Ajax . Great work to get this on , however we will most likely take on one of their reserve/junior sides.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2023, 02:39:02 PM »

As it's due to be played where their reserves play, I think that indicates the side we'll be facing.
Nevertheless, a great move to get this on.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2023, 04:17:37 PM »

will we have enough loan players signed up by then?

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2023, 05:06:32 PM »

Don’t worry Mick, we haven’t got to parachute in …

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2023, 06:19:16 PM »

Don’t worry Mick, we haven’t got to parachute in …

;D
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2023, 10:53:27 PM »

This should be an adventure for anyone who decides to go.  Alas, it appears that it will be a tad too much for me to endure enjoy these days.

I see that the game is to be played at "De Camp" which is described as a Sports Park and the home of WvW Weurt.  Weurt are a community orientated Football Club based in Nijmegen and founded in 1923.  They have a large number of teams covering all age groups and abilities.  Their Senior First Team play in the Sunday 5th Division.

WvW Weurt are described on the website of NEC Nijmegen as 'Football Partners' and are one of many shown to be as such.  NEC seem to have adopted a relatively large number of smaller clubs as feeders.

I would hope that NEC are planning to play their first reserves' (perhaps with a sprinkling of first teamers).   

There are some pictures of the Sports Park online and it appears to be an enclosed pitch with a clubhouse/dressing rooms at one end.

Nijmegen is about 95 miles from Amsterdam close to the German border.

nimeta

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2023, 11:38:08 PM »

big enough place for the mighty Rammstein to perform last year...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJzWRzuT-Nk

Thats the only other time in my life that I had heard of this place basically :)

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2023, 12:45:04 AM »

Thats the only other time in my life that I had heard of this place basically :)

Nijmegen is famous for its annual marches which are gruelling to say the least. Very popular with armed forces personnel .

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2023, 09:38:53 AM »

Nijmegen is famous for its annual marches which are gruelling to say the least. Very popular with armed forces personnel .

Yes, you're right.  Also I remember travelling from Dusseldorf to Amsterdam by train in the mid-1980s and we passed slowly over a large iron bridge that had a plaque referring to it being the one made famous by the film.  It didn't impress me much at the time as far as bridges go.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2023, 12:26:49 PM »

Yes, you're right.  Also I remember travelling from Dusseldorf to Amsterdam by train in the mid-1980s and we passed slowly over a large iron bridge that had a plaque referring to it being the one made famous by the film.  It didn't impress me much at the time as far as bridges go.
Hundreds of men lost their lives during Operation Market Garden trying to take or defend that strategic bridge. Dutch civilian fatalities were also very high.

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2023, 08:12:50 PM »

The Goffertpark is used as a concert ground in the summer, it's right next to N.E.C's actual stadium. The likes of Robbie Williams and Eminem have also performed there over recentish years.

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Europe here we come