https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Pitch
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Pitch  (Read 13338 times)

andrewflynn

Re: Pitch
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2021, 02:46:08 PM »

the job at alty isnt just laying  a new pitch. it is putting in an adequate drainage system to prevent the build up of ground water that bedevils us whenever there is prolonged rain in the area.

Sadly drainage isn't sexy; but the grass element is. So by commercializing the grass element, it would raise funds to create a better surface.

Agreed.

& agreed here. Thanks Hale Alty, it is a cracking idea in my view and one that I have forwarded on. I'll see what we can do to make it happen should the club find it workable.

Silent but Ledley

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2021, 03:41:55 PM »

Bbrilliant innovative idea. I'm in. SBL

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2021, 03:47:49 PM »

Variable costs per square would work. £10 for a mundane bit of midfield, £50 for a penalty spot, £100 for the spot where Clive Freeman hit his shot vs Chester etc.

Didn't we do a pitch sponsorship scheme some years ago which featured a special Freeman Square?

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2021, 05:02:12 PM »

I thought this sounded familiar www.altrinchamfc.co.uk/social.htm

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2021, 05:06:28 PM »

i had completely forgotten about that. i wonder how successful it was?  maybe this time applying could be done on a grid on a webpage where you click on the square or squares you want and it takes you to a payment page.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2021, 06:58:16 PM »

Unfortunately I believe any drainage measures carried out will just provide nominal improvement, water finds its level, the ground and pitch are low lying especially in conjunction with the brook to the rear of the pop side. The only real solution is to raise the playing area and camber it to get above the water table and allow run off at the perimeter. Even a 200mm raise would make a difference with a decent grade provided below, small as that seems, but it is tonnes of material.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2021, 07:18:04 PM »

Unfortunately I believe any drainage measures carried out will just provide nominal improvement, water finds its level, the ground and pitch are low lying especially in conjunction with the brook to the rear of the pop side. The only real solution is to raise the playing area and camber it to get above the water table and allow run off at the perimeter. Even a 200mm raise would make a difference with a decent grade provided below, small as that seems, but it is tonnes of material.

Not if we have a slope, a la the old Huish. Raised at the pop / golf road sloping down.

That's the job cut in half!🤔

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2021, 08:43:07 AM »

we should adopt a colne dynamoes style slope where the top of the goal posts are level with the half way line. 
Bernard Taylors barmy army

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2021, 09:36:00 AM »

I'm in agreement. An elevated pitch and possibly drainage into a covered ditch/sump that could be pumped out whenever necessary. Not cheap. It's clear that the pop side is affected the worst so there must be natural drainage towards the stream that borders the allotments. Perhaps the concrete foundations of the popside form a barrier that prevents it from draining further?

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2021, 12:21:56 PM »

I'm in agreement. An elevated pitch and possibly drainage into a covered ditch/sump that could be pumped out whenever necessary. Not cheap. It's clear that the pop side is affected the worst so there must be natural drainage towards the stream that borders the allotments. Perhaps the concrete foundations of the popside form a barrier that prevents it from draining further?

That does make sense, given it stands in the way of the pitch and its most obvious draining point.

It might sound too simplistic, however wouldn't an investment in bloody good covers, for the entire pitch, in the short term be cheaper?

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2021, 12:30:31 PM »

That does make sense, given it stands in the way of the pitch and its most obvious draining point.

It might sound too simplistic, however wouldn't an investment in bloody good covers, for the entire pitch, in the short term be cheaper?
Big issue is where the flow of water of the covers goes too, at present it drains back into ground raising the water table. It needs to drain away from the ground.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2021, 01:25:25 PM »

i think a cheap trial would be to dig a hole close to the golf road/pop side corner, fill it with soakaway crates, and rent a pump of Stuart Coburn. Let it fill up then pump the water out and see what effect it has on the pitch.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2021, 01:34:54 PM »

i think a cheap trial would be to dig a hole close to the golf road/pop side corner, fill it with soakaway crates, and rent a pump of Stuart Coburn. Let it fill up then pump the water out and see what effect it has on the pitch.

I think a load of soak away crates are the way forward but like you said it would need to be linked up so that they can be pumped empty but I think it would be the best option. Or have crates with drainage pipes under ground out of the ground and connect the into the street drainage.

Bonzo

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2021, 02:59:37 PM »

The pitch does drain into the beck behind the Popular Side stand, but has the beck been dredged or the drains rodded out ?

Some problems may be self inflicted . I seem to remember the pitch used to have a slope to it, being highest at the centre spot, ie like an upturned saucer, and it was flattened a  number of years ago, and the club had to try and get rid of the top soil. Plus the pitch then had a lip of about 4 - 6 inch all the way round, which it does'nt today.

The big issue might be the water table with all the new houses on the Chequers end and Wellman House car park having an  detrimental effect on underground water movement.

There will be a solution, no doubt expensive, but with some retention tanks as being suggested could that lead to a saving on the water bill for when the pitch needs watering. i'm sure the board will be on with this and searching out grants to give the team the desired surface.

Failing all this, do a Cambridge and grow the grass long along the touchline to stop the ball skidding off !!

andrewflynn

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2021, 03:15:16 PM »

Brian Flynn chats with Bill and Lawrence about the pitch amongst other ground improvements in tomorrow's interview, that will be broadcast as a YouTube Premiere at 3pm.

The interview will be uploaded separately afterwards for those who cannot tune in.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Pitch