PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Semi Final - Halifax Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Semi Final - Halifax Match Thread  (Read 13873 times)

Randy Konk

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
Re: Semi Final - Halifax Match Thread
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2023, 03:30:31 PM »

Understandably gutted regards yesterday but I don’t blame the players, management, tactics, ref or Halifax fans. It’s a cruel game sometimes. I felt we played well and but for some sharper finishing and a couple of solid saves from their keeper would be heading to Wembley next month.

The appropriate reaction to this is to take 1000 to Oldham next Friday and stick 3 goals past them…

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2023, 03:42:55 PM »

In my 50+ years of watching the club I think those last few minutes are probably the most disgraceful scenes I've witnessed in terms of a referee surrendering control of a football match. It's not a question of a subjective decision it's a clear refusal to apply the laws of the game. Whatever the the arguments of missed chances etc the very least our players should expect from officials is a fair contest. It is without dispute this wasn't the case in the penalty shoot-out.

Let's also be very clear here, if the shoe was on the other foot, this forum would be full of people wanting to identify the flare thrower, those interfering with the nets and worrying about what the FA would do. As one who had to dodge flying concrete blocks at The Shay in 1975 I won't hold my breath that there's a similar inquest in Halifax.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2023, 03:49:37 PM »

In my 50+ years of watching the club I think those last few minutes are probably the most disgraceful scenes I've witnessed in terms of a referee surrendering control of a football match. It's not a question of a subjective decision it's a clear refusal to apply the laws of the game. Whatever the the arguments of missed chances etc the very least our players should expect from officials is a fair contest. It is without dispute this wasn't the case in the penalty shoot-out.

Let's also be very clear here, if the shoe was on the other foot, this forum would be full of people wanting to identify the flare thrower, those interfering with the nets and worrying about what the FA would do. As one who had to dodge flying concrete blocks at The Shay in 1975 I won't hold my breath that there's a similar inquest in Halifax.

I wouldn't bother too much about Halifax; they looked like a club in terminal decline at pretty much every level.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2023, 05:41:17 PM »

nobody is going to convince me that a penalty shootout with the nets being lifted at the back while the kicks are being taken is valid.

The penalty kicks were indeed not valid.  I have no doubt that the evidence has been recorded along with the flare incident also perpetrated by their supporters in an attempt to disrupt the game (which they did to their ultimate benefit).

The nets were being clearly interfered with by a significant number of their fans before, during and after penalties were taken and it was clear to everyone that the referee failed to take any action.

Check out FA Laws of the game. Law 14 - The Penalty Kick
"The ball must be stationary on the penalty mark and the goalposts, crossbar and goal net must not be moving".

However, according to the FA, the referees decision is always final so I don't think we will be appealing this..

The FA are as useless as today's stewards but the club should 100% appeal and send video footage as evidence.

The same bad attitude steward from the Notts County game and on reception for the Oldham game insisted I turn out my pockets before entering the stadium. I am assuming the same courtesy was not extended to some of the FC Halifax supporters. Whilst I acknowledge they have a hard jobs, some of heir actions  smack of poor planning and a bad attitude (and by the way maybe cost us the game). Obviously I'd like some replaced, though whether that would change anything, I don't know. If onlywe could have people connected with the club stewarding, as in the pas, and possibly paid for the job. The club might pay to put supporters through training for the job. That's what we should at least be workiing towards, unless of course there is some obstacle. When I was stewarding, the first thing you did was put yourself between opposing sets of fans. Not v. Notts they didn't, or not until too late. Get it sorted or some people might not be coming back.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2023, 05:44:37 PM »

I couldn't disagree with that more.

It's a clear and obvious breach of the FA's own rules. The club should at the very least, review the footage before making a decision. The nets were being lifted up while the kicks were being taken - I am surprised that more people didn't notice.

I thought that people were not supposed to stand next to the fence during the game at the Chequers End. Why did the stewards allow this?

StaffsAlty

• Youth Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2023, 06:09:33 PM »

I am intrigued as to what the purposes of the stewards at the games is.
Last three games i have been ‘wanded’ at the Golf Rd end with 2 phones and big bunch of keys in my pocket plus significant amount of change in my pocket and not once has the ‘alarm’ gone off on the ‘wand’ - was it turned on??
Then we have at the Notts game 2 stewards stood watching fans smoking in the GR end without intervening ( under the impression the stadium is no smoking) incl last couple games the ‘wiff’ of cannabis being smoked.
Having been stood in the GR End since the i started watching Alty in the late 70’s, i am finding the stewards horrendous and dont see why they are there - certainly not effective in crowd control if that is their purpose. In most cases they look as if sone ine says ‘boo’ then they will run a mile - as i suspect happened at the away end. If we have to have some form of stewards / crowd control and we have to pay for it then we need to be getting value for money - the current providors are not.
The suggestion of the club investing in its fanbase to help with stewarding could be advantageius when we go to away matches as we could ‘self-police’ as the home stewards would know which of our fans to watch out for - though pleased to say i dont believe we have a trouble making element - never had ….. we’d rather ‘f&&k than fight we’re the Alty fusilers’!!

Knutty robin

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2023, 07:11:58 PM »

Since returning to the Alty flock 3 seasons ago I have loved every minute of it and proud to share with friends who have also become hooked.  One a Liverpool season ticket holder who comes when they aren't at home.   They are all amazed at the standard of football and love the family feel of the club. The only gripe is the facilities.  If we want to attract more supporters then improving them is a must.  We had to watch the chequers end goal through discoloured perspex in the main stand

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2023, 07:18:07 PM »

I understand that improving the fanzone is a priority for the board. For me a minimum would be a roof and opening the pod to sell food. I believe it may also be expanded.

Great stuff about the Liverpool fan (though I suspect he wouldn't have enjoyed yesterday's pre-match entertainment)! What a wonderful way Alty have of bringing people together from different clubs and backgrounds.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2023, 07:25:16 PM »

An utter farce, my 1 bucket list item of seeing my team at Wembley ruined by underspending on stewards.

Not ruined but merely postponed, surely...?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2023, 07:56:20 PM »

Too stunned to comment on the game, youv'e said it all on here anyway . Instead i will reflect on the ' curse ot the cup ' , an affliction that has surrounded the club for over a quarter of a century , ever since the Spurs game in 95 to be precise . Our record in the two major knock out comps since then has been horrendous considering what went on before . Injury time equalisers , defeats , sendings off , runs of continuous away draws , massive upsets by total minnows etc etc ,etc .   Bela Guttman , the manager who lead Benfica to 2 European Cup wins in the 1960's , put a curse on them when he eventually got the sack that they would never again taste European success , they haven't !
 More seriously how much bloody longer will this terrible record go on .

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2023, 08:03:00 PM »

Just to add that yesterdays was probably the worst to bear in all those 27 + years .

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2023, 08:04:20 PM »

It'll be alright by Tuesday night mate 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2023, 08:22:54 PM »

" Oh no it won't "   😩🤣

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2023, 08:51:59 PM »

Absolutely crushed but glad I went out into Alty post game & had a few beers, helped to talk it through with the rest of the lads.

Lots for the club to learn from on & off the pitch yesterday & we’ve generally been quick learners in the last few seasons.

Priority for me is to sign up some of these loanees & put a club update once the season has finished on plans for improvement of the ground. Much to do & we can’t stand still.

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2023, 10:15:37 PM »

Halifax Highlights on Alty TV. Too soon. Can't watch.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Semi Final - Halifax Match Thread