TINPOT
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: TINPOT  (Read 5542 times)

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: TINPOT
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 08:46:15 AM »

What does worry me is that so far we apear to have only played 4 of the weaker teams in this league and our points return does not bode well.

Cornish Alty

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 10:42:28 AM »

What I think is 'tinpot' is getting stressed with over 35 games to play, points on the board,in a new league with a new manager. And on the back of a home win and an away draw, if we continue this until the end of the season we will make play off final minimum. It's all good, chill. But that's just my opinion, bring on the weekend!

Dynamo Joe

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 12:47:44 PM »

What I think is 'tinpot' is getting stressed with over 35 games to play, points on the board,in a new league with a new manager. And on the back of a home win and an away draw, if we continue this until the end of the season we will make play off final minimum. It's all good, chill. But that's just my opinion, bring on the weekend!

Well said Cornish- plenty of time yet!

mikealty

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 12:57:26 PM »

Nice to see someone with a bit of belief for once!

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 03:29:48 PM »

Nice to see someone with a bit of belief for once!

I think there are plenty, they just don't shout (type) as loud
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Hash

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 06:31:39 PM »

unbelivable , some people on this forum slag of ex league clubs for there attitude when they are relegated and think were to good to be here or we are to big , the only teams that seem to go straight back up are the ones that have a down to earth attitude and accept the fact that no one is to good or to big to be here so as soon as we realise that we are here because we deserve to be here and respect the other teams in this league ,  i think we are going to be staying here a while and thats not just for the palyers thats the fans as well
FFS

Cornish Alty

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 06:46:06 PM »

Totally agree with the above post but I also think that we should have a postive attitude as anything else is, in my opinion, not currently warranted and completely unproductive. But there is a fine line between confidence and arrogance

finnquark

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 07:29:54 PM »

Sadly one of the more notable changes in football has filtered down to our level - a complete lack of perspective on the behalf of many fans. The similarities between some of the crowing against Arsene Wenger recently and some of the panicky comments on here are apparent. I don't think it's particularly a fault of the person who comments, it's just the conditioning of football fans now to view results and prospects in the extreme short term. Anyway, I agree with the above comments about balancing positivity with respect for other teams. I vividly remember us beating Oxford 1-0 at home a few seasons back - no team can expect to win any game.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 07:46:05 PM »

There's nothing 'panicky' about saying (with some justification) that our squad looks thin in terms of quality, we badly need another striker and centre back (at least) and much as we all love it to happen, we're not going to storm to the play-offs.

We might make it, we more likely won't. We're here because we deserve to be here and we're still only just about in the top six clubs sizewise. (If the heart of the fans counted we'd be in a much higher league by now!)

What I would like to say from my own point of view is that whether we make the play offs or not will not influence my committment to the club and I think we should realise on here that that sentiment goes for the VAST majority of posters too.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Altyant

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 08:16:19 PM »

Not to mention a new group of players still gelling as a team

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2011, 10:36:56 PM »

Vauxhall motors are tinpot
well if this is a fact then so are we. We share the same leauge and we shared the points.

When i tell people i am an Alty fan they laugh because its not premership. I hate all this putting down other clubs its just futile
no there tinpot because they don't have any fans and don't sing, also have a tinpot stadium? In fact forest green are above us but there still tinpot  ;D
so we have around 700 hardcore home support and hardly a world class stadium so were tinopt compared to the big boys .... Its all about perception .... You follow a tinpot team enjoy the rest of the season
ParkINson's red and white army

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2011, 11:23:05 PM »

There's nothing 'panicky' about saying (with some justification) that our squad looks thin in terms of quality, we badly need another striker and centre back (at least) and much as we all love it to happen, we're not going to storm to the play-offs.

We might make it, we more likely won't. We're here because we deserve to be here and we're still only just about in the top six clubs sizewise. (If the heart of the fans counted we'd be in a much higher league by now!)

What I would like to say from my own point of view is that whether we make the play offs or not will not influence my committment to the club and I think we should realise on here that that sentiment goes for the VAST majority of posters too.

Hear! Hear!

Our substitutes on Tuesday evening comprised: Ollerenshaw; Summerskill; Richman; Mulholland and Coombs.

Hardly a line-up to instil fear into the opposition.

I suspect that the Vauxhall Motors subs collectively possessed more experience at this level.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Cornish Alty

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2011, 12:08:31 AM »

True, but games aren't won and lost on paper. A side that gels, who wins most of their home games and is hard to beat away. With a relatively large, positive vocal support may just instil fear. In my opinion it is too early to say wether or not we can become a team like this. Who knows what will happen, the season had barely started, call me a dreamer but I believe

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2011, 04:09:04 PM »

True, but games aren't won and lost on paper. A side that gels, who wins most of their home games and is hard to beat away. With a relatively large, positive vocal support may just instil fear. In my opinion it is too early to say wether or not we can become a team like this. Who knows what will happen, the season had barely started, call me a dreamer but I believe

I genuinely admire and respect your view and, in my more optimistic moments, I agree with it. However just a few points;

1. Games aren't won or lost on paper. If they were we'd have won the last four.

2. Our side simply must gel as we have no experienced replacements in the squad to form a plan B. We've only seen this occasionally up to now.

3. We ALL 'believe' (even me!) - that's why we all post on here.

4. You ARE a dreamer ... me too, there's nothing wrong with that but don't get too down later this season if our dreams turn sour!

5. Have a 'G' anyway!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2011, 01:51:46 AM »

Acceptable use: ironic reference to Conf North in the vein of ex league club fans' view of Conference Premier.
Unacceptable use: e.g. "losing a 2 goal lead in this tinpot league". A league which is almost completely part-time (like us), where most gates are sub 1,000 (like us), where teams can recruit players who play not just for the cash and get results through hard work and organisation (like us in the league above for the past 5 years).

Sluggish start and plenty for the mangement to work on, but hardly panic stations. Still think we've every chance of a good season.

Light the blue touch paper and remove yourself a safe distance from the forum
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 TINPOT