TINPOT
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: TINPOT  (Read 5538 times)

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
TINPOT
« on: August 24, 2011, 08:59:37 AM »

Acceptable use: ironic reference to Conf North in the vein of ex league club fans' view of Conference Premier.
Unacceptable use: e.g. "losing a 2 goal lead in this tinpot league". A league which is almost completely part-time (like us), where most gates are sub 1,000 (like us), where teams can recruit players who play not just for the cash and get results through hard work and organisation (like us in the league above for the past 5 years).

Sluggish start and plenty for the mangement to work on, but hardly panic stations. Still think we've every chance of a good season.

fuertes

Re: TINPOT
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 09:21:07 AM »

Acceptable use: ironic reference to Conf North in the vein of ex league club fans' view of Conference Premier.
Unacceptable use: e.g. "losing a 2 goal lead in this tinpot league". A league which is almost completely part-time (like us), where most gates are sub 1,000 (like us), where teams can recruit players who play not just for the cash and get results through hard work and organisation (like us in the league above for the past 5 years).

Sluggish start and plenty for the mangement to work on, but hardly panic stations. Still think we've every chance of a good season.

Completely agree. Sure, we're one of the biggest clubs at this level, but that doesn't mean we should be pissing all over everyone we play. Just as we enjoyed some great results in the Conference (beating Oxford, beating Wrexham, beating Mansfield etc etc), there will be some smaller teams than us who put in good performances and turn us over.

There's miles to go yet and the other preseason favourites have also had stuttering starts. Sinnott will need time to suss out what works best for us in certain situations. Once he starts to get a better idea, I'm sure we'll start picking up more points.

roytonmike

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 09:37:59 AM »

Sluggish start and plenty for the management to work on, but hardly panic stations. Still think we've every chance of a good season.
Completely agree. Sure, we're one of the biggest clubs at this level, but that doesn't mean we should be pissing all over everyone we play. Just as we enjoyed some great results in the Conference (beating Oxford, beating Wrexham, beating Mansfield etc etc), there will be some smaller teams than us who put in good performances and turn us over.
There's miles to go yet and the other preseason favourites have also had stuttering starts. Sinnott will need time to suss out what works best for us in certain situations. Once he starts to get a better idea, I'm sure we'll start picking up more points.
In general I agree. We are one of the biggest names at this level - though I suspect there may be a number of clubs with bigger wage bills than ours - but people have to rid themselves of the idea that we are going to win games almost by right. The 'tinpot' idea has got to be put to sleep. We are where we are and we have to treat our competition (in all senses of that word) with respect and be realistic about our prospects - by the way, it isn't in my view realistic to make forecasts until at least ten games have been played - by the end of September we should have a fair idea of how things may go.

Robin Reliant

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 10:04:51 AM »

Yes,we're one of the biggest clubs at this level, in terms of our history,but we had an awful season last year,and are starting out with a new manager and most of a new squad.
It will take a few more games for the team to gel, and there may be need for further players.We don't have the constraints of transfer windows in this league,which should help the manager ,particularly if we get a run of injuries.
We can't afford too many results like last night, but if we'd been offered a draw before the match,we'd have probably taken it.
Its not as if we'd lost all our games.....
At least one point next Saturday please. ;)

RocketDan

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 10:37:03 AM »

This is a tinpot league.

Any league where you don't have names on shirts / squad numbers and the referees give penalties whenever attackers run into defenders and fall over is
Massively tinpot.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 10:44:12 AM »

This is a tinpot league.

Any league where you don't have names on shirts / squad numbers and the referees give penalties whenever attackers run into defenders and fall over is
Massively tinpot.
thats just football in general bar the shirts motd saturday blatent hanball on the line missed by liner and ref and thats the premership human beings are prone to errorsits in our nature
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:45:46 AM by wayno »
ParkINson's red and white army

whopper

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 10:44:57 AM »

Vauxhall motors are tinpot

bighairedmike

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 10:50:34 AM »

As Ecky said last night, any league in which a referee doesnt realise two teams have swapped ends at half time and points in the wrong direction for fouls has to be tinpot.

Not blaming the referee for last nights result at all, but he was absolutely fkn woeful.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 01:21:17 PM »

Never like the term tinpot (although I have to my shame probably used it referring to the CSC in the past) and certainly not when used by us. Does that make us big time charlies who look down our noses at other clubs at OUR level?

If we are to bandy about such derogatory terms, then we are no better than the likes of Oxford when they came into the conference thinking they were above it and should win every game by right.

You can't look for respect with one breath and then dismiss others with your next. How many threads on here over the last few seasons have been about other managers, teams or fans not treating us with the respect we thought we deserved?
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

John Crewe

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 06:21:56 PM »

Yes,we're one of the biggest clubs at this level, in terms of our history,but we had an awful season last year,and are starting out with a new manager and most of a new squad.
It will take a few more games for the team to gel, and there may be need for further players.We don't have the constraints of transfer windows in this league,which should help the manager ,particularly if we get a run of injuries.
We can't afford too many results like last night, but if we'd been offered a draw before the match,we'd have probably taken it.
Its not as if we'd lost all our games.....
At least one point next Saturday please. ;)

You would have taken a point last night before the game????

You say we may need further players? Well where does the money come for them?

taxi Phil

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 07:57:41 PM »

I think a number of you on this Forum need to be reminded that this "tinpot" League is the one we only qualified for on the last day of the season when it was first created ! We could conceivably have been looking forward to the joys of Frickley and Worksop those few years ago. We may not go straight back up, but remember that Lee's mission statement is to build a team that will go up AND STAY UP ! The present squad might be good enough to go up - but we wouldn't last ten minutes in BSP.

Sure there are things that I'd do differently if I was running the club, but I'm not, and Lee is eminently more qualified for that task than any one of us. Let him get on with it, and if we have to go back to Vauxhall Motors again next seaason, hopefully we'll bring three points home and measure our progress accordingly.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 08:40:16 PM »

well if this is a fact then so are we. We share the same leauge and we shared the points.

When i tell people i am an Alty fan they laugh because its not premership. I hate all this putting down other clubs its just futile
ParkINson's red and white army

whopper

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 08:47:15 PM »

well if this is a fact then so are we. We share the same leauge and we shared the points.

When i tell people i am an Alty fan they laugh because its not premership. I hate all this putting down other clubs its just futile
no there tinpot because they don't have any fans and don't sing, also have a tinpot stadium? In fact forest green are above us but there still tinpot  ;D

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 08:57:37 PM »

In our (many) previous seasons in this league or the unibond since 1997 our average position is an earth shattering 8th. The longer we stick our noses up at this league and the teams in it, the longer we will stay in it.

And how anyone can make any serious judgement on where we'll be in may after just four games is beyond me.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 01:31:18 AM »

I think a number of you on this Forum need to be reminded that this "tinpot" League is the one we only qualified for on the last day of the season when it was first created ! We could conceivably have been looking forward to the joys of Frickley and Worksop those few years ago. We may not go straight back up, but remember that Lee's mission statement is to build a team that will go up AND STAY UP ! The present squad might be good enough to go up - but we wouldn't last ten minutes in BSP.

Sure there are things that I'd do differently if I was running the club, but I'm not, and Lee is eminently more qualified for that task than any one of us. Let him get on with it, and if we have to go back to Vauxhall Motors again next seaason, hopefully we'll bring three points home and measure our progress accordingly.

That is absolutely bang on Phil.......a league that we qualified for by virtue of finishing a glorious 12th in the UniBond League......Premier Division mind!
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 TINPOT