PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Team Staying Over Before Away Games
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Team Staying Over Before Away Games  (Read 6230 times)

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
Re: Team Staying Over Before Away Games
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2007, 08:57:11 PM »

I understand the point about the potential of being late but that would be a rarity surely.

To me thats like saying we should have back up power on the floodlights as they might fail during a match also ?  It could happen ?

I was only voicing an opinion on something that I didn't see as much of as a positive but as a negative. I have though now learnt of some other valid points, most notably from Daycare Dan about where our players live and have to travel from to get the coach and thats what the forum is about, having your say and then getting a bigger picture of all reasons or implications.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 09:01:12 PM by gazwarrington »

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2007, 09:05:24 PM »

Well having not gone out on Friday when I was invited out at 11pm,I felt quite good when I got back home just before 10pm Saturday.Though I had been drinking Lucozade throughout the day,so that may have helped. ;)

On the subject of overnight trips,I personally think it makes no difference.The only time we have won during an overnight stay is at Aldershot.Maybe there are more pressing factors to our poor away form than overnight stops,but I don't see how it helps us,and like what has been said,if it is not neccesary,use the money on a loan player.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2007, 09:10:50 PM »

Interesting thread.

The incident referred to in a previous post was earlier this season when Dagenham went to York on GNER from Kings Cross and somebody had thrown themselves on the line at Stevenage (understandable really) and as a consequence all trains on the east coast main line were delayed and the kick off was put back by an hour. Daggers still won 3-2 iirc anyway, they were fined though (correctly in my book). Another classic we were discussing in the car on the way back to the smoke was when Westley was in charge at Stevenage last season and for an away game at Southport they were booked into the Stafford travelodge(WTF?). After traffic problems Stevenage (despite the benefits of an overnight stay about ooh 2 hours away) were of course nearly late for kick off and lost the game 3-2, leading to the classic 'Westleyism' that the game was 'won and lost on the M6', no wonder he gets royally slagged off by all on Confguide.

As for me, I was home by 6:30 last night, nice. Still IF we do go down us southern lot are a bit screwed again. I think its a tricky one as the league does have a very high number of southern sides that for me would necesitate stopovers (certainly Exeter, Weymouth, Crawley, Gravesend, Aldershot, Woking) anywhere near but north of London-ie Stevenage, St Albans probably not. As for the benefits I think a long coach journey on the day of the game cannot be helpful for the players and I would say if we aspire to be an established Conference National team once more then overnight stops are a part of treating the players in a professional manner, regardless of the cost.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2007, 09:11:44 PM »

Exactly its all about resources, most "big" teams have their own back up generators for floodlights etc, also for safe lighting in the event of the need to evacuate. Same for away travel, overnight stays etc, but its about finding your level, ie how much does it cost v what is the real benefit. I think at conf national level, if it is at all affordable the longer trips should allow the best prep possible. Family issues are one thing but if you sign up to play football and are successful then you realise that one night (usually) in 14 you are away. In our case its about 6 times a season.

As for individuals that is a management issue, eg Dennis Bergkamp refusing to fly and driving himself. If a player is better prepared by joining the squad himself at an appointed time then GH would have to call that one.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2007, 09:25:04 PM »

So this is an 'Interesting thread' and not one that should not be discussed then Sarf London Alty. Thanks  :-*

I might be being persuaded that staying over is a good thing though  ;)

PS: I always use the "I was home at such and such time" to wind people up when we have played down south but they always have the last laugh when they remind me it takes me around 2hours to get to a home game  :'(

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2007, 09:29:12 PM »

As for the benefits I think a long coach journey on the day of the game cannot be helpful for the players and I would say if we aspire to be an established Conference National team once more then overnight stops are a part of treating the players in a professional manner, regardless of the cost.

This is another argument in favour of staying overnight on long away trips; it does show the players that they are involved in a well run and 'professional' set up.

From reading snippets and quotes from players one thing they always mention is how well run the club is and how they are treated. Essentially they are saying 'The wages aren't much to shout about but I like the way the clubs treats it's players, and it is nice to be part of that'.

Who knows, if we tried to do things on the cheap would it in the long run be a false economy as some of the goodwill from the players that has been built up may disappear? Goodwill that in our financial situation we really can't afford to lose.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2007, 09:34:22 PM »

Besides, think of all those little bars of soap and sachets of shower gel the players can take home too............. ;D
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2007, 11:38:11 PM »

Apologies if my earlier post seemed to be in the 'wrong spirit' I was not trying to do away with discussion nor debate as both are healthy and valuable.

My point re letting the Management decide was meant really as just that. If the management think that an overnight stay is required then, forum discussion and or debate aside, they are paid to make those decisions, to utilise the available resources most effectively, so an overnight stay it is.

Sadly, and as some other correspondents have alluded to, whether a delay in getting to the ground and submitting the team sheet is due to circumstances beyond your control or not, there will still be a fine, as there was in Conf North when we twice got held up on the M6 I seem to recall.

You say that the forum is there for the expression of views, I have tried to express mine (albeit not very lucidly I'll admit) and been slaughtered for it again - perhaps I'll just keep my views to myself in future, it's less stressful

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2007, 12:25:45 AM »

don't forget towels, fitted my whole house up with towels after my week in the Dam
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Team Staying Over Before Away Games