Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 What are we meant to do for a drink next Saturday?

Author Topic: What are we meant to do for a drink next Saturday?  (Read 3162 times)

markecky

« on: April 20, 2008, 09:28:20 AM »

With up to 300 going down and the away bar shut due to a "function".....does anyone know if we are allowed in the home bar?

pyemantv wfc

Re: What are we meant to do for a drink next Saturday?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 09:38:02 AM »

No !! Away fans are not allowed in the home bar.

The Wessex Stadium is 2 miles from town, so, if you are just here for a few hours before the game, the closest pub is the John Gregory just 5 minutes walk away (head along the Southill road from the roundabout outside the ground). A little further are the Marquis of granby (10 minutes walk) or the Admiral Hardy (15 minutes).

If you are in weymouth nice and early I would suggest you head to town, park up and visit one of the many pubs.

Weymouth pub guide is here for all the info  http://www.theterras.co.uk/website/the%20town/pubs.htm?world=5088

Directions are here http://www.theterras.co.uk/website/directions.htm#

Hope this helps you.

markecky

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 09:39:41 AM »

Thanks for the info.

With 80% of our support not in colours...I wish you luck!

pyemantv wfc

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 10:03:14 AM »

ah, but the 'home' bar is only accesible from the home end. You have to go through the turnstiles first to get to the bar. It's not accesible from outside and not accesible from the 'away' end, so pubs is your only choice.
Sadly, It only changed when we got promotion 2 years ago. In the lower leagues we mingled with away fans with no problem at all in the bar.

You'll also find that Dorset Police are pretty switched on and will be policing this quite heavily as they are a bit twitchy about the alledged hundreds of leeds fans staying in weymouth after their friday night game at the slime up the road.

markecky

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 10:51:21 AM »

Oh great...there's your segregation gone then.

If there is a function on (presume a wedding or something in the evening)..surely fans could be let in beforehand...then start the preparations at 5:15....no access at half time or after the match.

pyemantv wfc

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 11:18:50 AM »

why ?? so what you are saying is that 200 or so alty fans will just pay to gop into the home end, just so they can have a pint   :D ;):D. I think you will be bit easy to spot  :D. No away fans have been allowed in the 'home' bar for 2 years and it's worked absolutely fine. Not much that can be done about the 'away' bar. Expect it would have been fine for a 3pm KO ?? ... so blame setanta  ;).

We've always got on well with you chaps, so it is a shame we can't enjoy a pint with you, but thats the way of dorset police  :P We too find it a wee bit annoying, but so be it.

The John Gregory pub is just 5 minutes walk away, so no problem for a few beers. Might see some of you in town in the afternoon.

Butty

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 11:28:46 AM »

But (apart from really big games i think) we have always let away fans into our bar, any violence as a result of it?

markecky

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 11:32:42 AM »

why ?? so what you are saying is that 200 or so alty fans will just pay to gop into the home end, just so they can have a pint   :D ;):D. I think you will be bit easy to spot  :D. No away fans have been allowed in the 'home' bar for 2 years and it's worked absolutely fine. Not much that can be done about the 'away' bar. Expect it would have been fine for a 3pm KO ?? ... so blame setanta  ;).

We've always got on well with you chaps, so it is a shame we can't enjoy a pint with you, but thats the way of dorset police  :P We too find it a wee bit annoying, but so be it.

The John Gregory pub is just 5 minutes walk away, so no problem for a few beers. Might see some of you in town in the afternoon.

If there is a pub in walking distance then we'll take over that.

Thanks for the info.

pyemantv wfc

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 12:21:08 PM »

no problem. Glad to be of assistance.
Safe journey and see you all next week. Lets hope we both stay up.
We've just got the small matter of aldershot away on tuesday !!! :o

markecky

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 12:31:28 PM »

There is no chance you'll be going down...Northwich fans believe they are definitely up so I don't see why you shouldn't be.

Longman

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 12:50:49 PM »

What's the best curry house in Weymouth mate?  Also is 'Verdis' the only indie / alternative venue in town?

pyemantv wfc

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 01:23:07 PM »

curry - personally i would say The Balti House which is in Commercial Road. Very nice curries and they have won a few awards.

Indie - Verdis is no more and in it's place there is Tuatara. It still keeps its alternative routes and theres usually live bands on. Also Lazy Lizard, on the seafront, keeps an indie/alternative vibe. If you are more into metal/rock etc then Finn Mccouls is the place.

As for us being safe, we should be OK, as you can't catch us and it only needs one of halifax, farsley or vics not to win on tuesday. It's in our hands so I would prefer us to spoil Aldershots party and d t ourselves.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 03:13:03 PM by pyemantv wfc »

Longman

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 01:29:03 PM »

curry - personally i would say The Balti House which is in Commercial Road. Very nice curries and they have won a few awards.

Indie - Verdis is no more and in it's place there is Tuatara. It still keeps it alternative routes and theres usually live bands on. Also Lazy Lizard, on the seafront, keeps and indie/alternative vibe. If you are more into metal/rock etc then Finn Mccouls is the place.

As for us being safe, we should be OK, as you can't catch us and it only needs oe of halifax, farsley or vics not to win on tuesday. It's in our hands so I would prefer us to spoil Aldershots party and d t ourselves.

Thanks for that.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 03:57:58 PM »

Loads of great pubs in Weymouth, just sort taxis or lifts about 4:30ish?

Sorry if I missed any info from our Weymouth member, bus numbers and stop locations would be a big help if you know mate?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

pyemantv wfc

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 11:36:39 PM »

Loads of great pubs in Weymouth, just sort taxis or lifts about 4:30ish?

Sorry if I missed any info from our Weymouth member, bus numbers and stop locations would be a big help if you know mate?

this will help you. Directions, trains, football bus etc.

http://www.theterras.co.uk/website/directions.htm

Being a strange time for a match I would imagine the football bus from town will leave at about 4 to 4.15. We will need to confirm that but it usually goes 1 hour before KO. Off to the shots tuesday  :o. See you all in town no doubt, saturday afternoon
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team