News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Reserves

Author Topic: Reserves  (Read 2131 times)

fgrfan

Reserves
« on: July 07, 2007, 01:25:50 PM »

Hello Altrincham fans, i hope your summer is going well and you have invested in new players to bring in to the club for the forthcoming season.

i just wanted to ask about reserves football. what league is it that your ressies play in?

because for the first time since 1999 we are getting a ressies side back at FGR and they have been entered in to the football combination & wales reserves league. which is quite a high level with the other nine teams being: cardiff city, bristol city, swindon, bournemouth, yeovil town, plymouth argyle and two other league clubs.

and i was thinking that these sides are all league sides and have huge squads eg. cardiff, plymouth. and then there is a tiny club like ourselves with a first team squad of 18. the manager wants us to play our under 18s in the reserves so they get a taste of the higer level of football between south west under 18s and blue square premier league. but surely we are going to get whacked all over the place with teams like cardiff who will have first team players recovering from injuries playing in the team etc. and then we will have some under 18s and possibly some second string players.

do you find the reserves team helps altrincham fc? or are they playing at not a particulary high level so the gap between reserves and blue square premier is too big a jump?

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Reserves
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 05:35:43 PM »

your reserves will be better than your first team playing teams like that!

Altysmiffy

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 06:07:28 PM »

Beacause of the ocal league the reserves were in last season, they were playing most of their matches in Yorkshire. Therefore, although we still have the reserve team, it will not be playing in any league.

fgrfan

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 07:34:33 PM »

in 1999 we were in the hellenic league east divison which is rubbish to say the least. but as i said this league sounds really difficult and apparently weymouth were dumped out of the league for not being 'good enough' and for having a poor performance record. although this is apparently mostly linked to what happened at weymouth last season regarding ownership and all the players leaving. will offer good opposition for our youngsters but still a huge jump from glos county youth league and south west youth football!

UkrainianPhil

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 10:11:34 PM »

I can't see how any full-time professional club can operate without a reserve team, and one playing in a decent standard league.

We nearly lost ours 3 years ago but the fans raised the money to keep it going. Last season we beat Lincoln 2-0, Doncaster 7-0, Sheffield United 3-1, Grimsby 1-0 away etc etc as we had quite a good side. Next season the likes of Leeds, Sheffield Weds, Barnsley will be in our division.

I think it shows the professionalism of Jim Harvey who is a bloody good manager, and actually it is the smaller clubs lower down who benefit from playing strong opposition and who get the most out of being in the reserve league.

fgrfan

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 10:40:22 PM »

yeah your right ycfc supporter. it was jim harvey who wanted it and got it. because of his links with youth football eg. the fantastic youth set up he had at morecambe. in which all of those players are signing for us!!!  ;D

Butty

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 03:11:40 PM »

I can't see how any full-time professional club can operate without a reserve team, and one playing in a decent standard league.

so thats why we arent full time.......
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Reserves