PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Attendance, good enough?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Attendance, good enough?  (Read 5622 times)

Get back in yer box!

Attendance, good enough?
« on: January 10, 2013, 12:37:08 PM »

Firstly, I apologise if this has been done to death before...

I was quite disappointed that the attendance against Harrogate was barely 700 even though the weather was fair.
If you exclude the Chester game, which argueably skews the average, our attendance this season so far is 733 on average (854 if you include Chester).
Last season it was over 800 (without Chester) and the season before it was over 1000, albeit in a higher league.

The trend is downwards, however you look at it.

So, what can be done to get the trend going in the right direction?
- free tickets for kids, with a paying adult?
- advertising?
- improved facilites?
- a free-entry match promo?
- players/club supporting school sports?
- support from Trafford Council?
- more non-match day events?

Paying support is the life blood of any club after all.
Is Alty doing enough to keep us and attract more?

markecky

Re: Attendance, good enough?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 12:51:29 PM »

City were at home and discounting tickets as it was the FA cup and it was a sellout. We also had 23 away fans.

We always want higher crowds but I think they have held up very well since relegation, and our home form this season (prior to Stalybridge) was terrible.

If we ever get to 249 like Stalybridge then we need to worry.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 12:51:38 PM »

The best way is to win games, something we had done only once against anyone out outside of the relegation zone until last week.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 01:49:14 PM »

City were at home and discounting tickets as it was the FA cup and it was a sellout. We also had 23 away fans.

We always want higher crowds but I think they have held up very well since relegation, and our home form this season (prior to Stalybridge) was terrible.

If we ever get to 249 like Stalybridge then we need to worry.

Ecky is bang on here. I suspect we sometimes overstate the effect of having the two best clubs in England on our doorstep and the impact this has on our gates but last Saturday was not one of those occasions. City were selling kids for a fiver and adults for 15 quid for the Watford FAC tie and I know a lot of parents saw this as a great chance to take their kids to their first ever big match. When you can see the league champions for 15 quid then it's not a hard sell and this will have impacted our gate I'm sure.

Let's not forget too about 4/5 of our league would kill for regular 700 plus home gates, I don't really think we need beat ourselves up about the gate last Saturday against a poor team with hardly any fans who aren't attractive opposition to the casual fan. I'm confident if we keep on our current good run then our average will be a lot nearer to 800 by the end of May. Think back to the late 90s/early 2000s and our Unibond wilderness years and 650 at home was considered decent. I think our support these days is pretty healthy really.

RocketDan

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 02:29:10 PM »

The best way is to win games, something we had done only once against anyone out outside of the relegation zone until last week.

Bit of a chicken egg argument here jimmy.Do teams have larger crowds because they win games or do teams win games because they have large crowds?

RocketDan

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 02:31:58 PM »

i look at alty (and probably most clubs) as having three tiers of fans:

A) The core fan base - season ticket holders and people who attend 80% or more of home games (I reckon we have about 500 people in this category)

B) The 'casual' fan - attends 30-50% of games. takes interest in another team or has other commitments of a Saturday work, family etc. (I reckon we have about 500 of theses)

C) Floaters - attend less than 20% of games. Supports united or city. Usually comes with a friend from category A or B. turns up for 'big games' (over 2000 of these)

Whilst a lot of people talk about attracting new fans, I think the main emphasis should be on getting floaters to become category B, and get existing 'casual' fans to become 'core' fans

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 02:55:29 PM »

Look at the burton crowd for poential !

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 03:07:19 PM »

There's one thing that's a safe bet to bring crowds in at altrincham, being competitive in the conference national, we are a club that suffers from the been there and done that syndrome, the figures below show spikes only appear when we are doing well in the conference, the local populace expect that as a minimum unfortunately

http://www.lusa.u-net.com/attendances1979on.htm

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 03:17:54 PM »

Those mid eighties crowds are very interesting. 1985/6 was one of our greatest ever seasons yet the league average was barely 1000. Similar in fact to our last few seasons at that level, though away followings from the ex league clubs help swell the figure.

Jimmy

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 05:58:37 PM »

Crowds in the mid 80s were low for most sides

Get back in yer box!

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 11:00:26 PM »

I reckon Gold Road Grumbler has it about right, we need to encourage fans to invest upwards so to speak.
But how?

I surprised by most responses, the prevailing sentiment, if I've understood is 'we are doing ok', is that really good enough though?

You see my problem is this...
The product is great!  Alty play attacking cultured football with high scoring entertainng games as a rule, so why isn't such a good product attracting people?  I have my theories, but I won't post them as they are not complimentary and I don't want to slag off the club.  I'll just say they could do more and paint isn't that expensive is it...

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 11:16:28 PM »

i look at alty (and probably most clubs) as having three tiers of fans:

A) The core fan base - season ticket holders and people who attend 80% or more of home games (I reckon we have about 500 people in this category)

B) The 'casual' fan - attends 30-50% of games. takes interest in another team or has other commitments of a Saturday work, family etc. (I reckon we have about 500 of theses)

C) Floaters - attend less than 20% of games. Supports united or city. Usually comes with a friend from category A or B. turns up for 'big games' (over 2000 of these)

Whilst a lot of people talk about attracting new fans, I think the main emphasis should be on getting floaters to become category B, and get existing 'casual' fans to become 'core' fans

I reckon you won't be far wrong here - good football and a winning team in a decent league is the obvious answer, but even then people get blase about it
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 11:22:55 PM »

I reckon Gold Road Grumbler has it about right, we need to encourage fans to invest upwards so to speak.
But how?

I surprised by most responses, the prevailing sentiment, if I've understood is 'we are doing ok', is that really good enough though?

The product is great!  Alty play attacking cultured football with high scoring entertainng games as a rule, so why isn't such a good product attracting people?  I have my theories, but I won't post them as they are not complimentary and I don't want to slag off the club.  I'll just say they could do more and paint isn't that expensive is it...
I assume you will be down at the ground closed season when painters are needed - i will buy you your paint - let me know which bit you can help with
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 11:28:04 PM »

But how?

I assume you will be down at the ground closed season when painters are needed - i will buy you your paint - let me know which bit you can help with

this is probably a reason we dont attract some fans ... Were not very friendly sometimes are we?
ParkINson's red and white army

bumble

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 11:31:54 PM »

But how?

this is probably a reason we dont attract some fans ... Were not very friendly sometimes are we?

Maybe if you stopped teasing everybody.... wed have more fans
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Attendance, good enough?