PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 CLEAROUT UNDERWAY
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: CLEAROUT UNDERWAY  (Read 5800 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: CLEAROUT UNDERWAY
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007, 05:10:15 PM »

Alas, Andy Scott is destined to be remembered in the same category as the likes of such Alty luminaries as Dave Swannick; Chris Young; Paul Williams; Gary Hulmes; Jason Van Blerk; Len Cantello....and so forth.

That terrible moment when he gifted the ball to a Kidderminster Harriers forward on the edge of his penalty area about twenty minutes into his Moss Lane debut last January still haunts my nightmares.....

I have to echo Ecky re. Gary Talbot.
A great servant to Alty.....but time catches up with everyone inexorably (after all, even my old Alty hero Mal Bailey had to leave Moss Lane eventually!).

Dare I propose a joint testimonial for Talbot and Mark Maddox? 
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Alty365

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2007, 05:32:55 PM »

If Bush is on his way back to Halifax and we manage to sign a right winger I can see the opportunity for Robbie Lawton to move into his more natural central midfield position. His energy in the centre of the park would be a huge asset.

I'm also inclined to agree that freeing up money for signing Chris Senior would be an excellent move by the club. We'll soon see. It would appear that GH is a man with a plan and I'm very excited to see how it all unfolds.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2007, 06:56:33 PM »

Alas, Andy Scott is destined to be remembered in the same category as the likes of such Alty luminaries as Dave Swannick; Chris Young; Paul Williams; Gary Hulmes; Jason Van Blerk; Len Cantello....and so forth.

Most of these (Andy Scott especially) tried their best but weren't up to it. Len Cantello was another thing altogether. He had the class but was totally unfit and just took the money and the p**s. I remember one game (can't remember who the opposition was) when we were attacking the club end (20/20 now) and we had a corner. He just stood there and made no attempt to go for it (as it wasn't precisely 'right' for him) as the ball went past him. Kingy turned round to look at the bench and stretched out his arms in a "what th f***'s going on here?" gesture, and seconds later Cantello was substituted. I don't think he played again.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

aldershot1234

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 07:28:34 PM »

By the Way if you havn't heard Halifax are been taken over by a wealthy Yorkshire business consortium according to my mate who supports them. Thats why they will be able to sign him. I doubt that they'll sign him because hes a seasoned player and Bush will want to finish his career soon i'd of thought. Hope we do sign Senior as well

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 08:47:57 PM »

Most of these (Andy Scott especially) tried their best but weren't up to it. Len Cantello was another thing altogether. He had the class but was totally unfit and just took the money and the p**s. I remember one game (can't remember who the opposition was) when we were attacking the club end (20/20 now) and we had a corner. He just stood there and made no attempt to go for it (as it wasn't precisely 'right' for him) as the ball went past him. Kingy turned round to look at the bench and stretched out his arms in a "what th f***'s going on here?" gesture, and seconds later Cantello was substituted. I don't think he played again.
[/quote]

It must have been someone other than Kingy, because JK and Cantello never played alongside each other in an Alty team.

But I agree, Cantello was a disaster!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

York Alty

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 08:55:36 PM »

Gary Talbot - didn't we all sort of sense it was his last game for Alty against Aldershot?  I have to say i had that feeling.

A 100% ALTY legend.

Many Thanks to you Gary - good luck.

Altysmiffy

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 11:07:08 PM »

Talbs has been a credit to the club and I am sure he will do an excellent job for a club in BSN or Unibond.

Its a shame Andy Scott was simply noy Conference standard - good luck to him.

Shame to see Bushell go, but would he have been first choice centre mid? Not sure he would & can't see him as a squad player.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 11:12:24 PM »

Talbs has been a credit to the club and I am sure he will do an excellent job for a club in BSN or Unibond.

Shame to see Bushell go, but would he have been first choice centre mid? Not sure he would & can't see him as a squad player.

buhell also 35 later this year lets hope replacement is lined up though

thegazelle

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 11:14:17 PM »

i think cantello's first game was on a very very very wet windy and foggy night at frickley.
i suspect after 2 minutes he thought what the duck have i done and never recovered from hit .
i recall him showing moments of class and being frustrated because players never expeted him to do what he had done.
but without doubt one of our greatest flops.

i dispute the gary hulme inclusion in this bracket i believe i saw him score would it be his debut at worcster

Alty365

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2007, 11:16:24 PM »

buhell also 35 later this year lets hope replacement is lined up though

I think LAwton is a ready made replacement with youth and fitness on his side.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 CLEAROUT UNDERWAY