News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Great Start

Author Topic: Great Start  (Read 2192 times)

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Great Start
« on: August 10, 2008, 10:55:27 AM »

Congratulations to the players and the management team on a great start to the season. Within ten minutes, I was thinking to myself 'this is quite simply a different team to last year' and the first half display overall was very good. And the celebrations of the opening goal were tremendous.
We dropped off markedly in the second half but and a draw would have been a fair result - but then a moment of class from a class player won it.

A few things stood out for me, such as the fact that all eleven players starting for us were playing in their best position. No-one was 'filling in' or 'doing a job' out of position. And then all the subs came on like-for-like, so we didn't change to a more defensive formation, even when we were under the cosh a bit, and had two strikers and two wingers for the full ninety minutes. A very heartening change of tactics, I'd say.

Johnson looks like a tremendous signing and all the other debutants played well too but I still think Colin Little is going to be the main man again this season. And I think when he's developed a full understanding with Johnson, Elam, Denham, Meechan etc., he could cause havoc.

Overall, a superb day. When was our last away win on the opening day of a season?

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Great Start
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 04:34:34 PM »

I have a vague recollection of an away at Kiddie on the first day in 93 or 94?
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 06:54:47 PM »

That was Gerry Quinn's first game in charge in 1992.

I think that our last away win on the opening day of the season was in 1994 when we won 3-1 at Yeovil....a truly outstanding performance.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 07:03:47 PM »

An away win down south, attacking formation, options on the bench, well it's taken us 4 seasons in the Conference but I think we might have cracked it. That was light years away from all those depressing 2-0 defeats down there that seem to merge into one in the last 3 seasons. While there are 45 games left I think every Alty fan who saw that yesterday knows we are now a completely different proposition to last season. Bring on Barrow.

andrewflynn

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 08:07:03 PM »

its been said before, but i still can't believe the change the team has made.
the management have done tremendously, its just wether we can keep this up all season!
 :)

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 10:49:00 PM »

That was Gerry Quinn's first game in charge in 1992.

I think that our last away win on the opening day of the season was in 1994 when we won 3-1 at Yeovil....a truly outstanding performance.

I bow to the knowledge of the flynnster - 2 away wins on the first day in 3 seasons - them were the days!
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

Longman

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 11:24:54 PM »

Congratulations to the players and the management team on a great start to the season. Within ten minutes, I was thinking to myself 'this is quite simply a different team to last year' and the first half display overall was very good. And the celebrations of the opening goal were tremendous.
We dropped off markedly in the second half but and a draw would have been a fair result - but then a moment of class from a class player won it.

A few things stood out for me, such as the fact that all eleven players starting for us were playing in their best position. No-one was 'filling in' or 'doing a job' out of position. And then all the subs came on like-for-like, so we didn't change to a more defensive formation, even when we were under the cosh a bit, and had two strikers and two wingers for the full ninety minutes. A very heartening change of tactics, I'd say.

Johnson looks like a tremendous signing and all the other debutants played well too but I still think Colin Little is going to be the main man again this season. And I think when he's developed a full understanding with Johnson, Elam, Denham, Meechan etc., he could cause havoc.

Overall, a superb day. When was our last away win on the opening day of a season?

I agree, however I think we deserved our win, we created more goalscoring opportunities.

WELL DONE TO PLAYERS AND MANAGEMENT, A GREAT START!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Great Start