News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alty through the generations

Author Topic: Alty through the generations  (Read 1231 times)

Alty365

« on: January 21, 2008, 10:24:20 PM »

While we are on here waiting for the main site news update I thought I'd start a slightly different kind of topic. Did/do any older generations of your family support Alty? If so, how long have they been coming and who were their favourite players?

My Grandpa has watched Alty since the 1960's and still comes to every home game now. He tells many interesting stories of when the likes of Jackie Swindells played and Freddie Pye was running the team. One thing that has changed dramatically since those days is the crowds that come to games. He often tells me how games against Macc would attract crowds of over 5,000 at both grounds and almost every game in the Cheshire League days was a "home game" because of the short distances involved.How things have changed now with the current side facing two trips to Devon in a week!

My Mum watched Alty too and then when she met my Dad (at the time a lifelong Everton fan!) he came along to Goodison Park to watch Alty play there in the cup. He always says he went in the ground that day an Everton fan and left it an Alty fan and furthermore, even to this day, both my parents as well as my Grandpa firmly believe we were robbed that day. My Dad recalls the glory years of the late 70's and early 80's very fondly and my Dad always mentions names such as Barry Howard, John King and Barry Whitbread whenspeaking of "Alty greats". As the years went on and our success petered out a little attendance at games became less regular, but in 1990/91 my Dad offered to take me to watch Alty, where at the time it was free for kids to get in. I don't remember a lot about the game but I remember we beat Cheltenham Town 3-0 and from that point I was hooked. What unfolded that season is the stuff of legend and you don't need me to tell you about that. Highlights for me were the 9-2 demolition of Merthyr Tydfil and most of all the 4-1 crushing of Barnet in front of (unoffically) the biggest crowd I have been in at Moss Lane.

I'm sure we all have a story like this to tell, but this one passed a little time for me so I hope it makes interesting (if brief) reading!

:)

Come on Alty!!!!

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Alty through the generations
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 10:48:24 PM »

365, a good story, and I am sure it is repeated for alot of our supporters. I know my dad used to watch Jackie Swindells and went to the Wolves game in the 60's.

I started attending around 76, I was a Man U supporter until then. I became hooked and have attended all the magic cup ties ove the years.

Many great players. I put Colin Little in there with the no of goals he has got us.

Come on Alty.

PS I know bring an 8 year old and a 12 year old. They are getting hooked. They are the future supporters hopefully.

Butty

Re: Alty through the generations
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 05:54:56 PM »

I know this is comparitively nothing, but my Dad used to watch alty play with his four brothers whenever united weren't at home, but after the 60s he completely forgot about them. My older brother, around 1999, went to alty with some mates and got hooked. Over the last few years, he hasn't attended as frequently due to work, but he usually makes sure he is off for some of the bigger games. My Dad took up going with my brother and still attends, although he says that some of the football is comparitively sh*t. My first game was around the time that Colin Little returned, remember him scoring twice against Whitby Town a few years ago ina  4-1 win. This was around 03 and I ended up as ballboy for a bit. Only this season have I rediscovered how amazing it is to sing from the stands again.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team