PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The future, Moss Lane?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The future, Moss Lane?  (Read 9704 times)

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
The future, Moss Lane?
« on: March 13, 2009, 10:32:22 AM »

Firstly I love Moss Lane and always shunned any talk of a move but this season,  in general and after reading this weeks messenger and seeing the success of AFC Telford, do people think that the future of Alty could be a move from moss lane and into a new stadium?
Is this even a feasible possibility for the future? Moss lane is obviously prime land for housing and could generate alot of money if sold, surely the council have thought about the sale and a possible new sports stadium in a position around the town. There were rumors a while back that something along these lines was on the cards....What do people think?

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: The future, Moss Lane?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 10:38:10 AM »

Not something we need right now and I personally would not like to give up our location and history for a plastic stadium on some desolate out of town site or industrial estate away from the town/station/pubs etc.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Eccles Alty 1

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 11:02:33 AM »

agreed

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 11:08:11 AM »

That was my view but with our inability to improve attendances much and the current lack of investment surely this is a possibility that should be looked at for the long term future of Alty.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 11:26:10 AM »

We should move to a new plastic stadium like Vics did?
Look at the state they are in now

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 11:27:07 AM »

I personally would love a plastic all-seater brand new stadium ... but it will never happen as we cannot afford it.

Besides which, ML is not so bad is it? Steeper terracing on Golf Road, covering at the away end and the mausoleum (with new terracing there too) and the pop side upgraded at the ends - to match the middle, and we've got a League 1 ground! (That would be a lot cheaper to do as well ... but let's concentrate on affording the players wages and staying in the black eh?)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 11:38:11 AM »

I personally would love a plastic all-seater brand new stadium ... but it will never happen as we cannot afford it.

Besides which, ML is not so bad is it? Steeper terracing on Golf Road, covering at the away end and the mausoleum (with new terracing there too) and the pop side upgraded at the ends - to match the middle, and we've got a League 1 ground! (That would be a lot cheaper to do as well ... but let's concentrate on affording the players wages and staying in the black eh?)

Would be great if we could afford to redevelop Moss Lane as no one wants to leave but where would the money come from?
A stadium similar to Burton or Telford in a position not to far from town, Clay Ln or Broadheath would be acceptable to most i think.

Narcissist

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 12:02:02 PM »

Not something we need right now and I personally would not like to give up our location and history for a plastic stadium on some desolate out of town site or industrial estate away from the town/station/pubs etc.

Exactly!!

How would a new stadium improve our ability to attract fans?

I would love to see Moss lane upgraded. Its one of my lottery dreams. We need better facilities at the ground. In terms of capacity and stands, I dont see why we'd ever need to increase?

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 12:06:57 PM »

Let's look at the track record of a couple of clubs who surrendered their town centre location in favour of a move to a new ground:

Runcorn - defunct
Northwich - farce

We move away from Moss Lane at our peril. If and when the money ever becomes available, the terracing needs updating with cantilever roofing on top and, hey presto!, we've got ourselves a perfect stadium.
Come on Alty!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 12:20:50 PM »

Let's look at the track record of a couple of clubs who surrendered their town centre location in favour of a move to a new ground:

Runcorn - defunct
Northwich - farce

We move away from Moss Lane at our peril. If and when the money ever becomes available, the terracing needs updating with cantilever roofing on top and, hey presto!, we've got ourselves a perfect stadium.

I think that's what I meant - I said it a bit more flippantly!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Jenga

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 12:29:09 PM »

Prefer to do as suggested above.

Roof over Chequers.
Steeper Golf Road
Roof over Mausoleum
Consistant roof over pop side with seating.

Alternatively we could build a new ground with 2 sides, paint it green and have a nice bar and conference facilities in it and end up in the Unibond League as our attendances would not reach the estimated 2000 to keep the club solvent.

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 01:21:47 PM »

Alternatively we could build a new ground with 2 sides, paint it green and have a nice bar and conference facilities in it and end up in the Unibond League as our attendances would not reach the estimated 2000 to keep the club solvent.

I like this plan. Let's go with this one  ;)

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 02:22:49 PM »

I understand that the ground has a restriction only allowing the area to be used for recreational purposes.  If redeveloped the ground should be turned 90 degrees and a bridge built over the brook. see earlier "if you won the lottery post" about 3 years ago.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 02:41:22 PM »

If redeveloped the ground should be turned 90 degrees and a bridge built over the brook.

Is anyone else picturing a little hump-back bridge in the centre circle with players queueing to get over it?   :D
Come on Alty!

thegazelle

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 03:44:24 PM »

yep and we could make it a toll bridge that opposition players have to pay to cross
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The future, Moss Lane?