Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 At the moment, who are our biggest rivals?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: At the moment, who are our biggest rivals?  (Read 9761 times)

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: At the moment, who are our biggest rivals?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 01:39:12 PM »

Plastic?
Its about knowing your history and being patient until a derby appears, not making up new ones because we havent played the traditional ones for years now that would be plastic!

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 02:30:15 PM »

Plastic?
Its about knowing your history and being patient until a derby appears, not making up new ones because we havent played the traditional ones for years now that would be plastic!

But surely this is the issue at hand?

If you had never seen Alty play Macc then you would probably be a bit less likely to view them as our rivals, much as many of our younger fans do.

You are right about knowing one's history, but rivalry is also about excitement and disappointment at what goes on on the pitch. If nothing is going on on the pitch the intensity of that rivalry surely begins to fade. 
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 02:53:26 PM »

If nothing is going on on the pitch the intensity of that rivalry surely begins to fade. 

The prime example of this being City and United. I'm sure many United fans over the last 20 years wouldn't class City as rivals. But now they are challenging them for honours, there is more than just bragging rights at stake when they play each other.

I suppose it depends how you define rivals. Is it the local team who want to get one over, or is it a rival who will be challenging for honours? The former, we don't really have one this season, while the latter would be Telford,Brackley and Guiseley.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 03:48:33 PM »

Things change. How can I possibly see Macc as a rival, not having witnessed any of the historic clashes? It would just be fake to say I did.
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

Jezza

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 04:18:23 PM »

Things change. How can I possibly see Macc as a rival, not having witnessed any of the historic clashes? It would just be fake to say I did.

by paying attention to the legend....then one day you will witness a new clash....then, and only then grasshopper will the daylight dawn and you will accept what those far wiser and more experienced tell you......I have to say I feel sorry for those who never witnessed or experienced a true Cheshire derby and felt the pride and hatred run through the veins

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 05:07:18 PM »

Altrincham have two long time rivals, Macclesfield (league above) Northwich Victoria (2 leagues below) the Macclesfield rivalry being the more poisonous of the two. There are clubs you may dislike or have come up against on many occasions, but that's football. Until people witness an Altrincham v Macclesfield fixture (and this is not meant to be patronising) you won't really grasp it fully. Macclesfield have been up to league one and played city etc, but you ask any Macc fan that knows their onions who their rivals are...

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 06:17:45 PM »

Altrincham have two long time rivals, Macclesfield (league above) Northwich Victoria (2 leagues below) the Macclesfield rivalry being the more poisonous of the two. There are clubs you may dislike or have come up against on many occasions, but that's football. Until people witness an Altrincham v Macclesfield fixture (and this is not meant to be patronising) you won't really grasp it fully. Macclesfield have been up to league one and played city etc, but you ask any Macc fan that knows their onions who their rivals are...

I'd have to agree with this really. The Macc rivalry is deep rooted and was cemented by decades of Boxing Day / New Years Day / Easter derbies in the Cheshire League and NPL. It wasn't formed in the 1970s when I started following Alty, but Macc's status of mortal foes held true, even though our competetive rivalries were more with Wigan (again rooted in the Cheshire League), together Boston Utd, Scarborough, Stafford Rangers, Vics and latterly Matlock and Mossley. After the formation of the APL we rarely met Macc in a meaningfully competitive game for about a decade (we were the team in the higher divsion then) but the rivalry was still there.

York Alty

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 06:37:35 PM »

We never really got an intense rivalry with Witton going.  Both sets of fans enjoyed taking the p1ss out of Vics.  There have been moments in the past of course...I remember the CSC Final (in 1995?) at the Drill Field V Witton where it kicked off on the pitch after the game.  Other than that I think we have more in common with them than divides us.

There is a general agreement that the answer is Macc (no universal I know), beyond that it's probably time for a survey!

Baldrick

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013, 07:21:28 PM »

There is only room for one biggest rival because there will always be one club you hate everything about. Just because you don't play them for years doesn't lessen the extent of the hatred.

Hulme Robin

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2013, 08:34:27 PM »

yeah Macc = sheeplovers

can we hate Bristol Rovers as well?

Jezza

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2013, 09:06:38 PM »

and Leicester!!!

wtf was that all about?

Mount Street Alty

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2013, 09:09:46 PM »

Marine (hardly toxteth)

thegazelle

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2013, 09:32:15 PM »

Main rivals in my eyes are Northwich because in my formative years we rarely played macc because we were in a higher league
istorical rivals are macc just because its macc.  never really thought of Runcorn as a derby
 witton a bit of a love in as again we rarely play them, CSC cup final incident was just a bit of over exuberence !!!
 personally hate all things kettering
FCUM have potential to become our natural derby

Hamilton

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2013, 09:35:19 PM »

Thought there was a bit of rivalry with Stalybridge, especially when Phil Wilson was manager - we couldn't buy a win off them iirc

Hamilton

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2013, 09:36:30 PM »

Main rivals in my eyes are Northwich because in my formative years we rarely played macc because we were in a higher league
istorical rivals are macc just because its macc.  never really thought of Runcorn as a derby
 witton a bit of a love in as again we rarely play them, CSC cup final incident was just a bit of over exuberence !!!
 personally hate all things kettering
FCUM have potential to become our natural derby

What about Chester/Chester City?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 At the moment, who are our biggest rivals?