PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Cheer yourself up - Watch this
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cheer yourself up - Watch this  (Read 6517 times)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Cheer yourself up - Watch this
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2021, 01:03:07 PM »

On a side note, I'm glad to see that they've finally sorted step 4 out for this season, allowing teams to progress from the Northern League on a regular basis. The ones which have come up such as Marske mostly seem to be doing quite well and getting fairly decent crowds  - and on Saturday, Ashington (who I was slightly surprised to read used to be in the same league as us) got a bigger crowd than any team in the league above, and you've got Spennymoor Town now getting more than Darlington!. Hopefully this will strengthen the non-league game in the North of England going forward and allow more Northern League clubs to progress through to the National League in the future. Worth remembering Morpeth, who we played a few years ago, got the 4th biggest crowds in the NPL in 2019-20.

First year of the NPL! I was on that coach trip to Ashington. Happy days!
Took a while for the coach to find the ground. The overall impression of the place was that it was an absolute dump but still glorying in being the birthplace of the Charlton brothers.
It must have improved a heck of a lot since then, surely.
PS. It was over 50 years ago (1968, I think?) so they've had plenty of time to improve. 😉🤣🤣

I went to their new ground in 2014 to see Ashington 0 Shildon 2 in 2014 with our good Alty friends from Shildon.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2021, 04:35:06 PM »

Strangely, I remember watching that 6-0 from the main stand. I can't remember why I was sitting down for the game. It may have been because my soon-to-be first wife came with me.

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2021, 04:47:45 PM »

On a side note, I'm glad to see that they've finally sorted step 4 out for this season, allowing teams to progress from the Northern League on a regular basis. The ones which have come up such as Marske mostly seem to be doing quite well and getting fairly decent crowds  - and on Saturday, Ashington (who I was slightly surprised to read used to be in the same league as us) got a bigger crowd than any team in the league above, and you've got Spennymoor Town now getting more than Darlington!. Hopefully this will strengthen the non-league game in the North of England going forward and allow more Northern League clubs to progress through to the National League in the future. Worth remembering Morpeth, who we played a few years ago, got the 4th biggest crowds in the NPL in 2019-20.

My second Alty game was when we beat them 6-0 in 1969. I believe it was Good Friday, almost certain that it was Easter weekend. I stood on the grass bank where the CSH is now.
And you were nowt but a lad.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2021, 05:05:13 PM »

My second Alty game was when we beat them 6-0 in 1969. I believe it was Good Friday, almost certain that it was Easter weekend. I stood on the grass bank where the CSH is now.

Good Friday, 4th April 1969:

Altrincham 6 Ashington 0.

Easter Monday, 7th April 1969:

Ashington 1 Altrincham 2.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2021, 06:11:16 PM »

Ah yes - the old tradition of the double-headed Easter local derby 😂

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2021, 06:35:10 PM »

Alty only had 2 away wins that debut season of the NPL; Ashington and Scarborough.  Which is why we finished midtable.  Lots of draws and single goal defeats for us on the road.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Cheer yourself up - Watch this