PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Banner in town center?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Banner in town center?  (Read 8460 times)

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Banner in town center?
« on: June 20, 2007, 08:58:23 PM »

Mentioned this idea ages ago, driving down regent road today i noticed Grapevine computers have got a banner displayed off the foot bridge going over the pedestrianised shopping area which will get noticed by thousands every week, if it isnt to expensive would it be a good idea for the club to have one to help awareness and attract Saturday shoppers? Could say something like "Support your local club Altrincham FC, Moss Lane"  with a link to the website for fixtures.

What do you reckon?

Alty365

Re: Banner in town center?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 09:47:45 PM »

This is something which would be good to see. Morecambe used to have a great big banner above a roundabout near Christie Park which displayed forthcoming fixtures. Something like this in the town centre in Alty would be superb.

altyf

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 11:04:59 PM »

i too remember morecambe having one and i thing putting one in alty near metrolink and the traffic lights would be really effective

Jenga

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 08:51:07 AM »

Somewhere near the bus station so that the school kids will see it.

In fact do school kids still get the bus or do they go to school on hover boards these days?

harv

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 10:03:25 AM »

there all smoking spliffs in the bus stop i have noticed so probably would only try using it for a roach!!!

Ideas 4 Alty

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 10:29:56 AM »

I have contacted Trafford Council and made enquiries about putting banners in and around the town centre. I will keep you all updated about any replies that I receive on the subject.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 10:42:23 AM by Ideas 4 Alty »

teasybeaver

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 11:02:04 AM »

there all smoking spliffs in the bus stop i have noticed so probably would only try using it for a roach!!!

I've seen you in that bus stop harvy!

I hope Trafford council don't try and piss on the fire with this one, its a good idea. There's practically nothing to suggest we have a local team in the town centre. I'm just wondering if the council might see a conflict of interests with their saturday shoppers?

harv

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 11:09:33 AM »

i tried asking them but the told me to move on goddam school kids.

Maybe a banner as you get off the metro/trainstation as you don't see the bridge from there, we all know how busy they are in the morning

Ideas 4 Alty

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 11:15:25 AM »

I placed a lot of emphasis on the big efforts the club are currently making to be a big part of the community (Saturday morning club, junior teams etc). I've basically asked if they can help us, which in turn will enable the club to give even more back to the community.

The Saturday shopping in Alty can't be anything like what it used to be - how much revenue do charity shops generate anyway?

Let's hope they see sense on this one. It's not like we're asking them to make the banners for us - all we want is permission to put them up and that costs nothing.

bighairedmike

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 12:03:14 PM »

How about one on the side of the bridge facing the metro station. That way you can see it from the tram and that way no one can set fire to it etc

ChrisVessey CUFC

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 06:02:16 PM »

Why not take some ideas from what we do at Cambridge United?

We do a monthly 'leaflet drop' - a group of volunteers target different areas of Cambridge and post leaflets through all doors advertising games and admission prices, often offering a discount for those with said leaflet.

Our South Stand initiative - offer free entry for select games (currently four a season) for working families and children. Last season in the four games over 1,000 tickets were taken up and large profit was made from the food bars and merchandise stalls. We also include pre-match and half-time entertainment for the kids such as professional jugglers, mascots etc..

We invite local colts and junior teams to be ballboys - we also invite local colts and junior teams to have a mini five a side game against each other at half-time - they stay for the game and who knows? Should some of the kids enjoy the match and experience of playing on the hallowed Abbey turf they might want to come along as a fan.

Introduce a 'bring a friend for free' scheme. Again, we select four games in which a season ticket holder can bring a friend for nowt. Our last one was Weymouth - we won 7-0. That was a fantastic advert for any newcomers.

Target the children (no jokes please!) as they are the next generation of supporters - our next idea for this coming season is to send birthday cards to children from selected schools - they will receive a CUFC birthday card with a 'Family ticket' for a game of their choice.

We have just set up a 'Junior U's' supporters club for under-16's. Players visit their schools, they receive goodie bags, discounted goods and the chance to be a mascot.

We are also currently working on an objective to attract more students to the Abbey, although i doubt that would work well for you as i'm sure the student population of Cambridge outstrips Altrincham's a touch!

Following on from the banner idea - we have two advertising hoardings we leave around Cambridge City Centre advertising our next game. The cost is nothing, we barter with sponsors to make and distribute the signs for free sponsorship of a matchball or game.

These ideas do work - the club receives regular emails from people who saw the adverts and just decided to pop along and enjoyed it very much. We have had emails from families who came along during the South Stand scheme for the first time ever and were treated so well they have bought season tickets for this coming season.

I'd just like to add that most of the schemes above were not thought up and applicated by the club, but they were by a dedicated group of supporters trying to raise the profile and fanbase of CUFC in Cambridgeshire. Why not have a supporters meeting of people with the time and effort to put forward ideas like the above and give them the time they deserve? It really does work.

For clubs like Alty and CUFC nowadays, kids just don't turn up to support their local team anymore, you have to work for their support. It's all too easy for them to sit at home and support a Premiership team from their armchair. If you offer them an incentive, sell the club as an outfit that treats you as just more than number, then half the job is the done. The other half is how the team perform - that's the one thing we can't control sadly!

James Black

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 07:08:46 PM »

mike mate didn't know u had a brain i take it u mean muppets like toppin u know wot i mean

bighairedmike

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 09:08:57 PM »

See, i aint just a pretty face.  ;D. yeah people like him. lol. it just makes sense coz thats all wud happen to it if we put it at the met stop. put it out of harms way but where yu can see it.

AntonDeck

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 09:57:57 PM »

Sponsorship of Market Daves cart

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 09:28:08 AM »

I placed a lot of emphasis on the big efforts the club are currently making to be a big part of the community (Saturday morning club, junior teams etc). I've basically asked if they can help us, which in turn will enable the club to give even more back to the community.

The Saturday shopping in Alty can't be anything like what it used to be - how much revenue do charity shops generate anyway?

Let's hope they see sense on this one. It's not like we're asking them to make the banners for us - all we want is permission to put them up and that costs nothing.

any developments on this idea?
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Banner in town center?