PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Who do we need for next season
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Who do we need for next season  (Read 15824 times)

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Who do we need for next season
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2020, 07:25:12 PM »

Thing with wanting another forward is where or when will they play?  We play with one up front and that spot is already filled. We are t going to find a national league quality forward prepared to sit on the bench until Jordan gets injured or suspended. It’s a role Peers is prepared to do and I’m. It sure how much higher quality we can find that will be that patient. I’d hope Parky has his eye on a couple of potential loans that could be brought in on short notice if Jordan does face a spell out of action

Piggott played a lot when he was here. Can't give Jordan the luxury of a guaranteed start at a level he's never featured at.
It's all my fault.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2020, 01:51:51 PM »

Thing with wanting another forward is where or when will they play?  We play with one up front and that spot is already filled. We are t going to find a national league quality forward prepared to sit on the bench until Jordan gets injured or suspended. It’s a role Peers is prepared to do and I’m. It sure how much higher quality we can find that will be that patient. I’d hope Parky has his eye on a couple of potential loans that could be brought in on short notice if Jordan does face a spell out of action

Piggott played a lot when he was here. Can't give Jordan the luxury of a guaranteed start at a level he's never featured at.

I'd happily give Jordan a guaranteed start to be honest - the lad won't need incentivising - and I agree with earlier posts about having Peers in reserve isn't a bad position to be in.

IF we can get Lundstram back, then I'd suggest that - in terms of starting XI - none of the front six need changing (unless someone of real quality comes on the market of course).

I agree that it's the defence that needs the most immediate work - not just because of Jones departure, but because I do think we might lack National League quality at full back, and Tom and Dens aren't going to be with us forever either.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2020, 03:21:53 PM »

I'd also like to ensure that Elliott Durrell stays put too.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2020, 05:20:38 PM »

I'd also like to ensure that Elliott Durrell stays put too.

I think he will - seems to me he's bought into what we're trying to do and seems to get on well with the lads.

We've got a great dressing room haven't we - the Instagram Stories often make me laugh  :D

Leeds Leeds Alty

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2020, 06:54:30 PM »

I'd be loathe to release anyone because they have all put in such fantastic graft in the last few years to get us back in the National.

One or two possibly are slightly short on quality - though not on heart -  but I will say with confidence that Jordan Hulme will thrive at the higher level - his outstanding front man performance at Portsmouth will live long in the memory and he has developed so much as a player under Phil and Neil - he is as good a play maker as he is a striker.

One thing I remember after we went up in 2005 is that the speed and fitness levels of players in the conference were streets ahead of us, and players who had looked like world beaters when we won the play offs looked off the pace at the higher level.  I don't think we will have this problem this time round going forward, but we need a back four that have the pace and the legs to live with the sides they will be up against.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2020, 10:57:05 PM »

Drench:

It’s been a pleasure @altrinchamfc Good luck and thank you!!! Enjoy the National League ⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️ #backwhereyoubelong https://t.co/xa7AcdOamR

Looks like he's off to pastures new.

It's all my fault.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2020, 02:54:09 PM »

I'd be loathe to release anyone because they have all put in such fantastic graft in the last few years to get us back in the National.

One or two possibly are slightly short on quality - though not on heart -  but I will say with confidence that Jordan Hulme will thrive at the higher level - his outstanding front man performance at Portsmouth will live long in the memory and he has developed so much as a player under Phil and Neil - he is as good a play maker as he is a striker.

One thing I remember after we went up in 2005 is that the speed and fitness levels of players in the conference were streets ahead of us, and players who had looked like world beaters when we won the play offs looked off the pace at the higher level.  I don't think we will have this problem this time round going forward, but we need a back four that have the pace and the legs to live with the sides they will be up against.

This will be the most pleasing aspect to me - Heathcote's a legend round here but let's face it, the brand of football was survival and nothing else. I can understand why the big time charlies used to get so frustrated with us.

After watching the Pompey game, I'm confident we'll take our game to ANYONE - home or away - in the National League, even if we get one or two inevitable hidings in doing so.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2020, 03:11:11 PM »

The biggest problem with the gung-ho approach is the damage it could do to morale if several of them come early doors. Having said that, Self confidence is something which runs right through the squad and rightly so. Let's hope we get a few good wins on the board and we can kick on!
Come on you Supers!! 😉

PS : we're going to need another couple of young, fast, hard tackling defenders though. Probably one centre back and a two footed full back.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 03:22:38 PM by Saughall Robin »
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

altering um

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2020, 01:23:44 AM »

New defenders? Toby Mullarkey will be a  bona-fide Alty legend in ten years time. Solid defending, of course, plus casually meandering the ball from defence to attack (via, perhaps, a mad foray down the right wing). I don't know how young he is, but he's not old. When he adds booting it in the net to his repertoire (which, y'can tell, he'd love to) he'll be The Man, For all seasons, hopefully...

I like to think he was named after the coolest of Alty  defenders : Graham Tobin. [I know there's been many cooler Alty defenders, eg Davison/ Owens/ Crossley etc. but I can't think of any that would inspire a parents to name their child Toby].

I know a bloke called Stan Alan Mullarkey. He's a bit of a dick.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2020, 09:53:59 AM »

Still think we need a second keeper of good quality, other than Tommo. Elliott Wynne is good, but we are now playing in a higher league. If Elliott proves me wrong then fine. We also still have Elliott Durrell to boost both midfield and the front line. As all the other players are under contract then we are pretty much good to go.

Phil and Neil know what they are doing so will leave it up to them.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2020, 03:58:44 PM »

We need Lundstram back above all other considerations. Another right full back would be good too - SD not getting any younger.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2020, 04:46:30 PM »

We need Lundstram back above all other considerations. Another right full back would be good too - SD not getting any younger.

Sutton can play full back according to various profiles I've read, but more pertinently Toby has the pace to be very useful in that position.

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
  • Technically now Lechlade Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2020, 07:53:24 PM »

Sutton's days as a full back are behind him listening to his interview and PP's comments

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2020, 09:50:36 AM »

Just noticed that according to the BBC, the Jones move to Barrow was a 'free transfer'. I thought we got an 'undisclosed' fee for him. Are the BBC wrong again (as usual)?
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2020, 07:37:42 PM »

Sutton can play full back according to various profiles I've read, but more pertinently Toby has the pace to be very useful in that position.

I reckon Toby will be considered the first off the bench for either centre half or full back - assuming Sutton now starts.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Who do we need for next season