PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 this is sour grapes but stafford are are a poor footballing side
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: this is sour grapes but stafford are are a poor footballing side  (Read 5183 times)

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile

do i sound like a stevenage fan post saturday ?

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: this is sour grapes but stafford are are a poor footballing side
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 11:40:30 PM »

They're no Brazil 1970 but they know what their strengths are and they play to them to best of their ability.

They came with a plan tonight and executed it perfectly; they worked hard and created the better chances. Whilst we on the other hand had plenty of possession but failed to produce any real opportunities. The majority of our attacks consisted of high balls into the box which Stafford dealt with superbly, and their two lads upfront toiled away and gave them options on the break. A text book away performance really.

They're not a pretty team, but what they do they do very well.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 11:50:32 PM by Jimmy Hill »
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Alex

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 11:49:43 PM »

you missed out the fact that there goalkeeper is wold's best for time wasting. tbh stafford played like we play when we're one up away from home, but as for there two forward playing well? as far as i saw they spent most of there time on there arse after claiming to have been fouled. as for there players antics for guys who were 6ft and built like brick s**t houses they went down so easily it was unbelivable. in honesty though it wasn't our night nuffing rele went our way in terms of chances always just wide or then one chance the keeper put over the cross bar. either way look ahead now exeter on saturday i rekon we could get a point maybe even sneak 3  ;)

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 11:55:34 PM »

you missed out the fact that there goalkeeper is wold's best for time wasting.

So is Richard Acton. I really can't see the legitimacy in moaning about time wasting, every team in the land does it and when it occurs it is condoned by the teams own fans.

Only those that criticise us for time wasting can really criticise Stafford for doing exactly the same thing.

tbh stafford played like we play when we're one up away from home, but as for there two forward playing well? as far as i saw they spent most of there time on there arse after claiming to have been fouled. as for there players antics for guys who were 6ft and built like brick s**t houses they went down so easily it was unbelivable. in honesty though it wasn't our night nuffing rele went our way in terms of chances always just wide or then one chance the keeper put over the cross bar. either way look ahead now exeter on saturday i rekon we could get a point maybe even sneak 3  ;)

Madjo and Grayson provided a constant outlet for the Stafford midfield, they are both nuisances and (I'd imagine) very difficult to play against.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 08:05:39 AM »

Youi're correct Jimmy.
As has been said elsewhere, Stafford did to us what we've just done to Morecambe and Stevenage so we can have no complaints even if we're on the end of some timewasting and spoiling tactics. What goes around ...
Stafford are a very limited side and I was surprised that Pat wasn't given a chance to run through with the ball on the ground instead of bringing on Talbs for Senior (one of our best attacking options at the time he was substituted) so that Bandy could go up front.
I'm down today, but we still only need 6 points I think.
I'm just apprehensive of going into the Tamworth and Aldershot games needing to do something serious but, hey, we never do things the easy way do we?
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 08:20:53 AM »

ah time wasting.

that would be like senior tying his shoe lace on satdee at the opposite touchline to where the board went up for him to be subbed  ;)

It sounds like Stafford were organised and have done to us what we have been dong to others whilst on our little run. Funny how the home form has gone but the away form has picked up. I'm sure I said that somewhere  ;D

Oh well Exeter and you never know.

can't complain. 47pts from 40 games is surely a lot more than people were expecting before the month started.

Ps: don't worry I am as confident as beating Adershot as I was about beating Weymouth so no need to worry .. Honestly don't worry.

Jenga

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 08:24:04 AM »

I would like to know if it is an offence to play football without your boot on and get a free kick given against you for it.

The referee I thought for the first 40 minutes was excellent. The final 50 minutes he was diabolical.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 08:35:02 AM »

They're no Brazil 1970 but they know what their strengths are and they play to them to best of their ability.

They came with a plan tonight and executed it perfectly; they worked hard and created the better chances. Whilst we on the other hand had plenty of possession but failed to produce any real opportunities. The majority of our attacks consisted of high balls into the box which Stafford dealt with superbly, and their two lads upfront toiled away and gave them options on the break. A text book away performance really.

They're not a pretty team, but what they do they do very well.

Agree 100%

louise1925

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 08:45:50 AM »

Well done to Stafford, who battled away in true Alty-syle for a deserved victory - didn't want them to go down anyway and showing that sort of resilience, they won't. Their two forwards were superb and Grayson in particular is a true pro. I've not seen many attacking pairs give Bandy/Karl trouble this season, but these two ran us ragged. Stafford should have been 3 up by half time to be honest and so we shouldn't complain at the result. I liked Murphy at Alty, but wasn't keen at the way he wriggled around on the floor after Rose's poor challenge - unfortunately we see a lot of that in the game these days. One final point, would suggest the ref hangs up his boots though as he was simply the worst I've ever seen at any level of the game and I think Stafford fans would probably agree - i lost count at the amount of incorrect throw ins and corners he gave and in the end the linesmen were waiting for his call before making a 'decision'. Anyway, on to Exeter...
AltyBri

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 09:06:41 AM »

There is a law which relates to players equipment. This states that a player must be wearing Boots, Shirt, Shorts, Socks and Shinguards and that these items must be in good condition and not be a cause real or potential of injury to the player or an opponent.

There is also a law which states it to be an offence to indulge in conduct likely to endanger oneself or an opponent.

It seems that Chris lost his boot initially up by the Corner Flag in front of the Offices and was at that time instructed to put it back on. However he didn't do this immediately, instead continuing to play. Unfortunately the next time he was involved in play was in front of both the Referee and the Dug-outs hence the free kick and Chris having to leave the field of play to replace his boot. Having left the field of play he then has to wait until the referee allows him back on before he can rejoin play.

I discussed this last night with a Refereeing colleague who also happens to be an instructor and, like me, an examiner and it seems to us both that there was a transgression of both the areas of Law referred to at the top of my reply.

In law therefore the Referee was correct to do this but incorrect in not cautioning Chris.

Hope this helps

Phil

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 09:28:26 AM »

I knew you would help.

So if he hadn't touched the ball and then put his boot on the next time it had gone out of play he would have been ok as not endangering anyone.

This makes total sennse and I may have to agree with a ref  ;)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 09:49:55 AM »

Nobody's mentioned this so far (I don't think so anyway) but I was walking round to the catering van to beat the HT queue and it seemed to me, and a few around me at that corner of the ground, that the goal was actually a couple of yards offside. And I had quite a good view.
What did anyone else think?
By the way, that's not to say we deserved a draw - we should have been 2 down by then with the miss by Gibson and the unbelievable hoof over the top in front of an open goal by McAughtrie (I couldn't believe that one!).
Fed up this morning.
Also, have decided to move from our usual centre line spot as Dennis's brother is getting all together too much to bear when we're behind. He's usually just a bit of an irritant which you can ignore but last night (along with Stafford) he totally spoilt the first half and we went in front of the old SAFE cabin in the second half.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 09:53:06 AM »

Fed up this morning.

Don't be fed up. We are still doing brilliantly and are in a great position. There are plenty of other clubs I would rather not be a supporter of at the moment in our league. COME ON ALTY

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 10:06:49 AM »

I know I'm going to be up again and confident again in a short while and, really, I wouldn't have Alty any other way.
It'll all be worthwhile when we've secured our status for another year in this league!
By the way, thought the singers were immense again last night.

teasybeaver

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 10:17:59 AM »

do i sound like a stevenage fan post saturday ?

Please could you edit the title of this post because it is in danger of making us look like: Stevenage, Oxford, Green slime, Rushden, etc etc fans who act perplexed every time they get beat by Alty.

Which reminds me, don't see many Northwich fans knockin about these days telling us what a poor footballing side we are and how richly undeserved our status is?

Possibly because they're f**ked!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 this is sour grapes but stafford are are a poor footballing side