PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Best Of All Possible Worlds
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best Of All Possible Worlds  (Read 6262 times)

Mightier

« on: March 23, 2017, 10:06:54 AM »

For my sins I studied French to degree level and one of the texts followed was Candide by Voltaire. It is the story of a boy who is tutored by Professor Pangloss who was the ultimate of optimists no matter what went wrong. His favourite saying was "All is for the best in this, the best of all possible worlds." Unfortunately this could be applied to a section of Altrincham supporters who are prepared to sit back and do nothing as the footballing side of the club slides towards oblivion.
I admit that I am a mere child of a supporter as I have only followed the club for 15 years but I do attend a number of away matches as well as home games. However the comparatively short length of my support does not mean that I do not have deep feelings for the club and I am becoming increasingly concerned by the attempts to skew information coming from Moss Lane.
One problem is that the local paper does not have someone independent reviewing events at Alty. I vividly remember that the Sports Editor on the Northwich Guardian ensured there was a balanced account when problems arose with the Vics.
Attempts to give only a rose-tinted view of events concerning the Robins have been going on for some time. The Non League Paper was asked to change its reporter because a performance on the pitch was described as "lacklustre" and this approach has continued with increasing fervour.
In the past three months we have seen the following:-

1) The Five-Year Review.
The publication of this report was much looked forward to but the reality of its content and the public meeting following its publication leave much to be desired. I do not believe that its mixture of the downright obvious and sometimes strange conclusions offer much of a plan for the next five years. I suppose that that is what you get when only 20% of the volunteers and regular supporters are asked to contribute and the whole exercise is organised by someone described as "the Chairman's mate." I could go on about the Review and no doubt the issue will be re-examined at a later date.

2) Attendances.
I have it on very good authority that season ticket holders at a match have their attendance counted twice. Because someone has paid for a ticket that attendance is already counted but their click on the turnstile is also added to the attendance. This could hugely inflate what is actually a small number at the ground. If schools request 500 tickets are they automatically counted towards the attendance even if no children actually make the game?

3) Robins Review.
Shame on you Mike Garnett for your recent toadying articles. In the wider footballing world Altrincham has always been seen as one of the leading clubs outside the Football League. Yet you would have us believe that we have just been punching above our weight for all these years. Rubbish!!!

4) Media
This is very worrying when events such as the demonstration cannot be commented on without censorship. A statement from the Board giving clarity to what happened last Saturday is needed urgently. The lack of comment is worrying. And why did the 5-Year Review have as one of its objectives the introduction of a revamped Website? Do you really want a website presence that has the Board's hands firmly on the tiller?

5) The walkout
For the record I was on the popular side last week and the there was a substantial level of support given to those who walked out. Admittedly there was one comment of "There they go. Sneaking out!" It was the noisiest and most noticeable "sneaking out" that I have ever witnessed!!
Why should a relative of the Chairman be using a clicker to count those demonstrating? The reason was clear after the game when the word was able to be spread in the CSH that it was "only 29" and could therefore be easily dismissed. Would the figures have been so readily available had ther been 50? However even the figure of 29 has significance. It can be assumed that those 29 people would normally spend around £20 per game on admission, drinks, etc. If they decided to permanently walk out that would mean a season's loss of revenue of more than £13000. Even to a club that is thriving that is an amount not to be sniffed at

taxi Phil

Re: Best Of All Possible Worlds
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 10:38:19 AM »

The last paragraph is the most important. None of us wants to see the club slide back to the edge of oblivion, as we were before Geoff Goodwin stepped in. And "the 29" are committed fans who would find it well nigh impossible to stay away from the club we love, even in its present parlous state.

But I believe it will take a situation where we suffer financial losses on a significant basis due to supporter protest before Grahame Rowley realises that his only option is to step aside.

I stress that I have no personal axe to grind with him, having always counted him as a friend until Twittergate finally convinced me he was no longer a viable leader, and I still feel he has much to offer as a board member. Just NOT as the public face of the club.

And unless Twittergate is apologised for, and a more open stance agreed, even that opinion is being jeopardised.

As I've said elsewhere, the first alarm bells should already be ringing, but the balloon will truly go up when demand for season tickets is not forthcoming.

I may attend the final home game....but not for football reasons (though Alfreton is a winnable game if we can only bloody score !). I have to say goodbye to a lot of people because I'm not optimistic of change, so I won't be at any more matches.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 10:59:07 AM by Romeo 48 »

Spring

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 11:02:19 AM »

A very insightful and thought provoking contribution, in my humble view.

I totally agree that if you are a supporter of the club and care about it, then it would be almost unnatural if you were not deeply concerned about the state of the club and wanted to do something to influence events. People who remain totally passive may well give the impression of not really caring and being almost without normal human reactions to adversity.

After saying that I suppose I also believe that whilst true supporters have the total right to make their views known and to demonstrate in the way they best say fit, they also have to recognise that they are not actually running the club. There is a huge distinction here between 'reacting' and 'doing' and that has to be recognised.

I also take your point about the abysmal level of communication and PR which is clearly a major failing. If you run a football club you have to expect criticism, as a totally natural thing and not try and stifle it. This is a naive reaction and one bound to fail. If for example you have an open meeting you have to expect dissent and allow it and then react in an un-emotive way.  Similarly with Twittergate, whoever pulled the plug, performed the most obvious failure in rational judgement that was possible in the circumstances. The comments were low key and to deny free speech, is more akin to the actions associated with a totalitarian state or a dictatorship. That has then been compounded by an obvious silence from the club......... a saga of ridiculous actions which actually almost beggars believe . Surely the Board understand this, on mature reflection......if not we are an even worse situation that can be imagined.

What I find most sad is that both elements in this debate.......the passionate supporters and the passionate chairman .......both have the same aim at the end of the day and that is to improve the current standing of Altrincham Football Club and at least the chairman's offer of a meeting, should be seem as a 'possible' positive move.    

I say 'possible' because he has to have the right motives for such a meeting and the right attitudes at such a meeting. Equally the same applies to the supporters........who it has to be said have a major issue in determining their stance, as they do not have a nominated leader or a decision making structure.
However this is at least a chance to begin a civilised dialogue, which has to be part of any ultimate solution, as just hoping the Chairman disappears and hoping that there is a Messiah in the wings, is perhaps Panglossian in the extreme.

My fervent hope is that one of the passionate supporters now stands up and offers to organise the meeting and has the courage to choose four or five other supporters that have the right profile........fair minded, willing to listen as well as contribute, mature etc ...... all a long shot but at least a possible way forward and if the club made a hash of such a meeting, well everyone can say.......told you so Professor Pangloss!  

beaker141

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 11:13:46 AM »

supporters that have the right profile........fair minded, willing to listen as well as contribute, mature etc ...... all a long shot but at least a possible way forward   

That sounds like Mark Ecky to me ?

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 11:20:06 AM »

If this is the best of all possible worlds...

Spring

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 11:21:30 AM »

I was very impressed with his contribution, which got a lot of independent support  but does he have any ' previous' with the Chairman? .... if not, it would be interesting if he would be prepared to put himself forward and whether other supporters would equally support him, as a natural choice.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 11:26:52 AM »

supporters that have the right profile........fair minded, willing to listen as well as contribute, mature etc ...... all a long shot but at least a possible way forward   

That sounds like Mark Ecky to me ?

This.

Ladies Supporter

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 12:18:37 PM »

I am only intending to correct the misinformation being spread about Season Ticket Holders and numbers thereof.

At Turnstiles 5 to 10 the number of season tickets presented to gain entrance is recorded (Turnstiles 1-4, being away turnstiles do not receive STs in general but were they to then this info would be recorded as well)

Once these have been totalled that number is subtracted from the total number of season tickets issued to give the number of unused ones.

So, apologies for spoiling another false rumour but season ticket holders are only counted once per game

taxi Phil

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 12:26:03 PM »

I am only intending to correct the misinformation being spread about Season Ticket Holders and numbers thereof.

At Turnstiles 5 to 10 the number of season tickets presented to gain entrance is recorded (Turnstiles 1-4, being away turnstiles do not receive STs in general but were they to then this info would be recorded as well)

Once these have been totalled that number is subtracted from the total number of season tickets issued to give the number of unused ones.

So, apologies for spoiling another false rumour but season ticket holders are only counted once per game
So Phil....it should actually be easy for the club to publish on the website the TRUE attendance for every game if they were minded to do so.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 12:29:48 PM »

Phil,

A statistical query, out of sheer curiosity.

Would it be possible for you to confirm on here (i) the total number of season tickets that have been issued for the current season and (ii) how many season tickets were unused at last Saturday's home fixture against Stalybridge Celtic?

Many thanks, in anticipation.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

York Alty is back

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 12:44:51 PM »

So Phil....it should actually be easy for the club to publish on the website the TRUE attendance for every game if they were minded to do so.

Yes. Won't happen.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 12:50:11 PM »

No apologies Phil, it's one persons opionin. I think most are aware that season tickets are only counted once.

Malty G

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 12:51:55 PM »

Phil, does that mean that any season ticket holders who are in the sponsors lounge are counted twice? I take it the sponsors are included in the total by a head count?

Ladies Supporter

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 01:21:18 PM »

No, ST holders in the Sponsors are not counted twice although that is very interesting question

Can I also just clarify from the initial post that rather than only 20% being "asked to contribute" 100% were invited to contribute.

The fact that by your calculation only 20% did (and I am not going to query that) is surely not something with which it is fair to beat the Club around the head?

Mightier

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 03:01:22 PM »

A number of clarifications and additions
1) The question of season tickets
I was told by a very reliable Altrincham person that the calculations had changed. A regular contributor to the forum was witness to the conversation.

2) Contributors to review.
My 20% is a rounded-up figure. I estimated that there are roughly 500 who are season ticket holders, volunteers or regular supporters and 100 contributors. It was purely for the sake of easy maths. In fact there were significantly fewer than 20% of those who have a significant emotional or financial interest in Altrincham. Whatever way it is dangerous to make assumptions regarding the views of non-contributors who could not be bothered.

3) P R
I absolutely agree that Board  Members can feel beleaguered and then make less-than-considered responses. The current situation needs diplomacy and some honest talking.

4) Chairman
I have no personal axe to grind. The Chairman has some excellent qualities
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team