PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Leamington
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Leamington  (Read 12581 times)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Leamington
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2015, 11:10:51 AM »

Mike - we are unlikely to have a repeat of Cheltenham.  Tim Deasy is not going to turn up drunk and let in two goals in the first 10 minutes, falling flat on his back laughing as the second one goes in

roytonmike

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2015, 03:21:45 PM »

Mike - we are unlikely to have a repeat of Cheltenham.  Tim Deasy is not going to turn up drunk and let in two goals in the first 10 minutes, falling flat on his back laughing as the second one goes in.
Point taken - I wasn't at the game in point of fact so am only referring to the result rather than the circumstances!

eightiesrobin

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2015, 03:38:22 PM »

Mike - we are unlikely to have a repeat of Cheltenham.  Tim Deasy is not going to turn up drunk and let in two goals in the first 10 minutes, falling flat on his back laughing as the second one goes in.
Point taken - I wasn't at the game in point of fact so am only referring to the result rather than the circumstances!

Did that really happen then?

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2015, 03:54:43 PM »

Imagine playing a team bottom of the league one level down in the pyramid, who had not won an away game all season.  And you having held the mighty Spurs to a draw at White Hart Lane days before.  And being the holders of the Trophy, embarking upon our first defence.

And then imagine the opposition turning up without their goalkeeper, who couldnt get the time off work, and having to put their leading scorer in goals.

And then imagine two soft shots in the first few minutes that trickle past your normally "Electric" goalkeeper (Electric Eales copyright Daily Express after his brilliant display at White Hart Lane).

Can I say for sure he was drunk?  No, although people have told me he was in the Moss before the game.  But he certainly did not take this game seriously.  And after the two blunders in the opening minutes, the likes of John Owens and Davision made sure Cheltenham did not have another shot on target all game.

John Rogers pulled one back at around 60 minutes with a shot from outside the box, but it never loooked like we would get back into it.

Our defence of the trophy was over at the first hurdle

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2015, 05:09:10 PM »

My only worry is that I'm not sure we have a big enough squad to deal with going far in the Trophy and not getting relegated.
I don't think it's one or the other. If we have a clean bill of health enough (i.e. Dens, Luca, not injured, Clee, Crowther fully fit, no further long term injuries) so that we get to the semi finals of the trophy then we'll stay up easily.
Just looked out of the window - the pig is flying across the sky in the general direction of the Pennines ... Sorry, but I just don't believe that Clee will ever again be 'fully fit' in the sense you mean; Densmore & Havern need to be handled with care - injuries once they've started to recur will do so more easily; Crowther I would have thought is as much a question of confidence as of fitness. If we were to have a sufficiently fit squad apart from Coburn & Marshall it would be difficult to recruit & retain experienced players to do little more than warm the bench, so the present policy of using youngsters would be justified. First priority has to be the League, but the fixture date for the next round of the Trophy is blank & we have no games outstanding, so let's get past the Brakes & take it from there. 

As I've said before Mike, one begets the other, make the effort to bring in reinforcements to buttress the injured/not fully fit players and it will fix itself.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Leamington