News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Altrincham signing causing problems and its not a player

Author Topic: Altrincham signing causing problems and its not a player  (Read 1610 times)

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: October 27, 2008, 10:21:53 PM »

Restaurant owner gives football club sign the red card
12:00pm Monday 27th October 2008

Comments (2)   Have your say »

By Chris Griffin »

AN ALTRINCHAM restaurateur claims a large road sign outside his premises could force him to move his business out of the town.

Domenico Lacolla says the sign - directing people to Altrincham FC - has had a devastating effect on his trade because it shields his Pagliacci's Italian restaurant from passing traffic.

Since it was put up around four years ago his takings have gone down by 25 to 30 per cent.

But his pleas for the council to move the sign or reduce its size have been rejected, with town hall chiefs saying there is no evidence it has affected trade.

And now he may have to close up unless action is taken.

Domenico claims the sign adds to problems caused by the parking charges in Altrincham - where drivers have to pay £1.50 an hour, compared to just 10p an hour in nearby Hale.

Domenico, who opened his eaterie on Ashley Road in 1997, said: "I can't understand why they have put this sign up right outside my shop. It blocks all the signs of my restaurant from passing traffic.

"Since they put up the sign up my business has dropped by 25 to 30 per cent.

"I pay more than £7,000 rates a year but the council has told me it can't be moved - but I can't understand why they don't put it where there is no business."

Domenico,who has four staff added: "If they don't move it I will relocate elsewhere - even though I like Altrincham."

A council spokesman said: "Signs directing people to Altrincham Football Club were installed following a request from the club to better assist supporters coming into the borough. This sign was strategically placed at this location to make sure it didn't obscure traffic signals and to stop people being diverted down other, less suitable roads.

"We do listen to the concerns of local people and have spoken to the owner of this restaurant on a number of occasions about this issue. The sign has been in place for nearly four years now and in that time we have received no evidence to suggest that it has been the cause of any detrimental impact on businesses on Ashley Road.

"In terms of parking charges, the prices in Altrincham are in line with those in town centres across the borough, while prices in Hale, as a village, reflect those in the smaller areas of Trafford."

@AltyDaz

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Altrincham signing causing problems and its not a player
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 11:04:46 PM »

Sounds like someone needs to make him an offer he can't refuse........ ;D ;D
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 12:58:38 AM »

30% because of a sign....people are out less often at the moment. Could try charging less than £3 for half a lager
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

thegazelle

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 02:17:46 AM »

industry standard figures stop moaning and get on with it . it could be worse he could be in Knighton

bigcol

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 08:05:34 AM »

If he wants to diversify, we know of a local football ground that needs a caterer.

Jacko

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 09:16:26 AM »

I was in there 2 weeks ago he's a nice chap but think its more the location of the place way up the downs thats the issue,

and the fact that raimondo's is now shut he should be advertising leaflets etc getting those customers now so im afraid no more excuses please

loads of love pinnochio  :o

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team